Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

A Bit of a Warning about Ordering Hong Kong Movies

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-17-02, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I guess this is related to Customs since there seems to be a bit of a crackdown lately on imported DVDs. Just a warning then for people who have been putting off ordering movies like La Brasierre or Fighting For Love from overseas - Tai Seng has these on their upcoming list. You can do a search at your favorite etailer or price search engine that allows you to search by distributor. There are a bunch of titles and I imagine that once again Tai Seng is just putting their sticker on the cases for these HK releases and charging twice as much. This is probably more of a heads-up than a warning.
Old 06-17-02, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Releases coming out on 6/25 from Tai Seng

- Attack The Gas Station!
- Bullets Of Love: Special Edition
- Foul King
- Friend
- Juliet In Love
- Kung Fu Emperor: Special Edition
- Kung Fu's Hero
- La Brassiere: Special Edition
- Mr. Vampire 2
- Operation Billionaires
- Running Out Of Time 2
- Tokyo Eyes
- Violent Cop

7/30

- Black Panther Warriors
- Kung Fu Master (1994 Special Edition)
- On The Run
- Second Time Around

8/27

- Code Of Honor
- Dead And The Deadly
- Inner Senses
- Love Me, Love My Money
- Love Undercover
- Ninja Checkmate
- Two Dragons Fight Against Tiger
- Wesley's Mysterious Files
Old 06-17-02, 09:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess this is related to Customs since there seems to be a bit of a crackdown lately on imported DVDs.
How much of a "crackdown" and in what form? Are we just talking about delays in shipping time or actual charges, or both? How many days and how much money are we talking about here? Does it actually make it worth it to shell out the $ for TaiSeng's prices I've been meaning to get La Brasierre and ROOT2 but those are really the only ones I want right now so I've been waiting to see if I can get a larger order together.
Old 06-17-02, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by nemein
How much of a "crackdown"
Just a bit of a crackdown.
and in what form?
Here's a thread to check out:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=213866
Are we just talking about delays in shipping time or actual charges, or both? How many days and how much money are we talking about here?
If a seizure of your DVDs can be considered a delay in shipping, then yes. I haven't seen too many people say they've gotten dinged with duties - no more than usual anyway. In the thread I linked to above, a few people have had their DVDs taken by US Customs. I searched around on the web and found a few other discussion boards talking about it. Maybe I'm just being Chicken Little saying the sky is falling, but better to be safe than sorry.
Does it actually make it worth it to shell out the $ for TaiSeng's prices
I don't think so - paying more for a Tai Seng sticker on the same DVD you can get overseas doesn't make sense in any math equation... not to me anyway.
I've been meaning to get La Brasierre and ROOT2 but those are really the only ones I want right now so I've been waiting to see if I can get a larger order together.
Well, ROOT2 wasn't very good anyway. Seriously though - I don't know how much of a warning this should be... Tai Seng just got really busy lately importing DVDs and have so many new releases on the horizon that I thought maybe it would be worth mentioning. Maybe that list (thanks roseart) can serve as a hot list and if anyone has a Custom's seizure of any of these DVDs they can post about it here.

Here's a link you might find interesting:
"Media" includes DVDs