Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Component video cables question

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-02, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just took the plunge into HDTV, and am looking for component video cables for the TV. Obviously I want to buy good quality and only want to buy them once; so I'm guessing either Monster or high-end AR cables. Does anyone have a recommendation on a model # for the Monster cables? I only need about 3 feet, but there's so many different types and I have no idea what the difference is.

Edit:
One more thing; Both my TV and my DVD player are Toshiba brand. How do I use the ColorStream feature of the these items? Does it automatically stop the NTSC decoding or do I have to specify something on my TV and/or DVD player. Will the component cables be allright to use this ColorStream feature, or do I need to get other cables?

FAQ:
What is the ColorStream Input feature on Toshiba televisions??

This feature allows the connection of equipment that provides a ColorStream output such as our Toshiba DVD players. When this input is used, it bypasses the comb filter or NTSC decoder, maintaining the signals purity and definition.

Last edited by huzefa; 06-16-02 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-16-02, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This question will most likely open up the endless debate about cable quality and differences, or lack there of, of cheap cables compared to expensive cables.

Bottom line is you just want to buy a decent made cable...build qualiy is your main concern and you will get that with Monster and AR but you will also get it with much cheaper brands.

So look for build quality...because there is not going to be a difference in picture quality between expensive and cheap.

Last edited by palebluedot; 06-17-02 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-17-02, 12:09 AM

With 3' cables, it won't matter too much as long as it uses the proper 75 ohm connectors. Just do a search for "Canare" on ebay (Canare makes great cables).
Old 06-17-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Component video cables question

[i]
FAQ:
What is the ColorStream Input feature on Toshiba televisions??

This feature allows the connection of equipment that provides a ColorStream output such as our Toshiba DVD players. When this input is used, it bypasses the comb filter or NTSC decoder, maintaining the signals purity and definition. [/B]
I think (although I'm not completely sure) "colorstream" is just basically a marketing term for Toshiba. Most TVs don't use the filter when you plug something in through component inputs. I don't think you have to do anything special, just plug it in and you'll be all set.
Old 06-18-02, 02:10 AM

Let me affirm and add to palebluedot and gotapex. What is important is that the cabling and connectors are decent. Not only are 75ohm connectors recommended but also 75ohm cable. Don't be alarmed thinking that it is necessary to have three larger cables. There is also what is referred to as mini-coax out there that allows a much more slender bundle.
Old 06-19-02, 09:04 AM

I bought some RCA Digital Component Cables at Wal-Mart for $15. They work just great. If I had an analog connection, I'd probably spend more, but since it is digital, a bit is a bit is a bit.
Old 06-19-02, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by horatiodude
I bought some RCA Digital Component Cables at Wal-Mart for $15. They work just great. If I had an analog connection, I'd probably spend more, but since it is digital, a bit is a bit is a bit.
The video is analogue...not digital.
Old 06-19-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by horatiodude
I got some COMPOSITE cables from target for about the sime price that are very good quailty... i think they are GE brand they were very good, they came as 3 seperate cables labled video, left, right. I started out using one of them as 5.1 coax cables till i went optical and now use them as COMPONET (they work the same and are cheaper) cables and they look great... cheap too...

I am anti-monster cable my friend has had some break on him before.
Old 06-19-02, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

I have been to my share of Monster Cable parties at CES and I will tell you they are charging you for far more then you get!
Old 06-19-02, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bfrank
I have been to my share of Monster Cable parties at CES and I will tell you they are charging you for far more then you get!
I'm pretty sure they are overpriced, but I am now using them for my DVD player, and the picture is just amazing. I'm blown away. When my HD receiver gets here, I'm pretty sure I'll be even more impressed with the cable's quality, and maybe for my next cable purchase I'll try experimenting with different manufacturers. Do you have any suggestions?
Old 06-20-02, 09:01 AM
Cool New Member

I went to a high end stereo store and he sold me on Straight Wire SilverLink II cables. They were very expensive ($180), but they really are great with my plasma.
Old 06-20-02, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

skinsfan, which store are you referring to? ABT?
Old 06-20-02, 12:53 PM
Cool New Member

The store was Sound by Singer in NYC. They were extremely knowledgable and friendly.

He told me that the cables I purchased were very good, but he also had $600 cables that were amazing. I just can't imagine any cables making THAT much difference.
Old 06-20-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: Component video cables question

Originally posted by e_hartnett

I think (although I'm not completely sure) "colorstream" is just basically a marketing term for Toshiba. Most TVs don't use the filter when you plug something in through component inputs. I don't think you have to do anything special, just plug it in and you'll be all set.
I'm pretty sure this correct, as well. Toshiba just calls "component video" "Colorstream," much as apple calls "IEEE 1394" "firewire"

Any DVD player with component output can "take advantage of" the "Colorstream input"
Old 06-21-02, 11:30 AM

Might want to look at Better Cables.com. Their "silver serpent" line in component video cable. Just got a 2 meter for $119, free shipping. Once I hooked it up I split/screen the picture on a DVD to compare vs lower end cable. Was it noticeably better? Yes. Noticeable enough for the money? I think that answer is always subjective based on the individual.