DVD Talk
Amazon ships items in an order separately at no extra cost! [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Amazon ships items in an order separately at no extra cost!

Tyler_Durden
06-14-02, 04:06 PM
I just placed an order for the upcoming Criterion Collection editions of "Red Beard" and "The Importance Of Being Earnest" at Amazon.com and was happy to notice that they will ship the two discs separately at no extra cost.

Of course this doesn't mean that all orders containing multiple DVDs will be handled this way (in fact, I think the reason for two shipments in this case is that the discs will be sent from two different locations). Still, that this happens even once in a while is extremely good news for many of us for at least two reasons:

1. We won't have to wait for all titles with different release dates to become available until the order is shipped.

2. Us international customers will have less trouble avoiding customs when ordering two or more discs at the same time.

The best part of all this is that Amazon tells you exactly how the shipments will be arranged <i>before</i> the order is confirmed.

Has the company ever shipped any or your orders in multiple shipments <i>unexpectedly</i> and at no extra cost? Amazon.co.uk did this with a few of my book orders but I have never had such luck with the company's US counterpart. Until now. :thumbsup:

Kevin M. Dean
06-14-02, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
Has the company ever shipped any or your orders in multiple shipments <i>unexpectedly</i> and at no extra cost? Amazon.co.uk did this with a few of my book orders but I have never had such luck with the company's US counterpart. Until now. :thumbsup:

Amazon does this all the time for me if you have enough of your order ready to go and it's waiting on more items. They'll just send you what they have and the rest later. I think this has happened on practically every large order I've placed, so much so that I can almost plan on it.

andrewwinn
06-14-02, 08:31 PM
Me too. That free shipping over 100 thing was a joke for me. I planned to "wait" for a couple of my pre-orders, but then stuff started shipping right away. I have waking life in my hand on its release date, although I was supposed to wait another 2 months for it.

MrN
06-14-02, 10:53 PM
I'm finding that this happens if you place an order that has items already in stock and pre-orders. They just ship the in stock items right away at their cost. In a recent order they broke up my order into 3 shipments.

ntuc
06-15-02, 01:19 PM
yup, same here.

Tyler_Durden
06-15-02, 01:31 PM
How does Amazon charge you when this happens? That is, do they charge you for the total amount of the order as the first items ships OR do they charge you every time an item ships?

In the latter case, when are STL and coupons redeemed? How about shipping charges - are they split into as many parts as there are shipments?

BTW, I tried to ask Amazon.com the same thing and received an automated reply that completely neglected to give me a sufficient answer. It's becoming so typical it's not even funny. :rolleyes:

MrN
06-15-02, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
How does Amazon charge you when this happens? That is, do they charge you for the total amount of the order as the first items ships OR do they charge you every time an item ships?

In the latter case, when are STL and coupons redeemed? How about shipping charges - are they split into as many parts as there are shipments?

BTW, I tried to ask Amazon.com the same thing and received an automated reply that completely neglected to give me a sufficient answer. It's becoming so typical it's not even funny. :rolleyes:

They divide shipping cost among the shipments and charge you for each shipment seperately. Coupons are typically applied to the first shipment and STL to the individual items. I say typically because they've been f'ing up recently and dropping STL altogether.

MrN
06-16-02, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by MrN
I'm finding that this happens if you place an order that has items already in stock and pre-orders. They just ship the in stock items right away at their cost. In a recent order they broke up my order into 3 shipments.

Looks like I'll have to revise above theory. I just placed an order consisting of 6 pre-order items in August and they're sending them to me in 4 shipments!

eau
06-16-02, 03:04 AM
Where does it tell you that your items are shipping separately and/or how many shipments there's gonna be?

dvd-fanman
06-16-02, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by eau
Where does it tell you that your items are shipping separately and/or how many shipments there's gonna be?

Login to your account and click on "Your Account" in the top navigation bar. Then choose "Open and recently shipped orders" and hit the "GO!" icon. There it will tell you all your recent orders and you can review or modify them and on that screen it will tell you when they are expected to ship.

You can also call Amazon's Automated system at 1-800-201-7575 and look up your orders by your Phone Number and the Last 5 Digits of a Credit Card number that you have in your account. It will then tell you when the items are expected to ship.

calhoun07
06-16-02, 09:07 AM
While I have had them do this (ship out items separately at no extra cost) from time to time, I seem to order items that the refuse to ship until the preorder comes in. If you click on to have the order shipped with all items together, and all the items ship from the same location, you're going to have to wait. It has happened to me only a couple times, but it's not a rule they will send out in stock items before pre orders if you order them together.

eau
06-16-02, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by dvd-fanman
Login to your account and click on "Your Account" in the top navigation bar. Then choose "Open and recently shipped orders" and hit the "GO!" icon. There it will tell you all your recent orders and you can review or modify them and on that screen it will tell you when they are expected to ship.
I'm looking at an order of four pre-orders all with different release dates, and they are all listed with different delivery estimates in the "Open and recently shipped orders" page. It doesn't mean they will ship them one by one at their release dates, does it?

MrN
06-16-02, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by eau

I'm looking at an order of four pre-orders all with different release dates, and they are all listed with different delivery estimates in the "Open and recently shipped orders" page. It doesn't mean they will ship them one by one at their release dates, does it?

Possibly. To the left of the item list in the order detail, there should be a # of shipments listed. And then based on estimated delivary date you can figure out which items ship together.

ntuc
06-17-02, 12:05 AM
this is what i found in amazon website:

Why Your Order Contains More Than One Shipment

Items you order from Amazon.com may sometimes be sent in multiple shipments for one or more of the following reasons:

Your items must ship from different locations.
Your order contains an oversize item that must ship separately.

In some cases, you might receive more shipments than we indicated you would when you placed your order. Regardless of the number of shipments you receive, we'll stick to our promise, and you won't be charged for these additional shipments. For example, if we told you your order would contain 2 shipments, but it arrived in 3, you'll still pay for only 2.

eau
06-17-02, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by MrN
Possibly. To the left of the item list in the order detail, there should be a # of shipments listed. And then based on estimated delivary date you can figure out which items ship together.
Found it! 4 shipments for 4 pre-orders all with different release dates (under free Super Saving shipping) :D

eau
06-18-02, 04:20 PM
I replaced today a canceled order with separate free shipping and now the new order is no longer shipped separately. Does this happen to you for new orders? Btw, the items in my order are all pre-orders with different release dates.

dvd-fanman
06-19-02, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by eau
I replaced today a canceled order with separate free shipping and now the new order is no longer shipped separately. Does this happen to you for new orders? Btw, the items in my order are all pre-orders with different release dates.

I placed a pre-order with a title being released in August as well as the E.T. Ultimate Set and the LOTR Giftset. When I first clicked through with the order it said it would be one shipment, then I checked that I wanted Super Saver Shipping (back when it was over $99) and it said that I would then have it shipped in separate orders with no extra charge. Then after I completed the order and called in my CC # to Amazon I checked the order status page and it went back to being all one shipment.

In the past I have had Super Saver Shipping orders ship in multiple shipments so it's possible, but I think it just depends on what the system wants to do at that time.

eau
06-19-02, 02:03 AM
I placed a pre-order with a title being released in August as well as the E.T. Ultimate Set and the LOTR Giftset. When I first clicked through with the order it said it would be one shipment, then I checked that I wanted Super Saver Shipping (back when it was over $99) and it said that I would then have it shipped in separate orders with no extra charge. Then after I completed the order and called in my CC # to Amazon I checked the order status page and it went back to being all one shipment.
Did you place your preorder today?

I shouldn't have canceled the freak'n order and now I may have to wait past Thanksgiving since the preorders are from July to Novemeber! Would they often send out the items separately eventhough the order status page has not indication of that?

dvd-fanman
06-19-02, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by eau

Did you place your preorder today?

I shouldn't have canceled the freak'n order and now I may have to wait past Thanksgiving since the preorders are from July to Novemeber! Would they often send out the items separately eventhough the order status page has not indication of that?

No, I placed the order last Friday before the $10 off $75 coupon expired. I got that coupon along with STL on E.T. and LOTR Giftset as well as super saving shipping.

Like you said sometimes they do send them out separate of each other if the dates are really far apart.

LOTR Giftset had a price increase today as well, so hopefully you still have a STL deal in your account from the old price.

eau
06-19-02, 03:04 AM

No, I placed the order last Friday before the $10 off $75 coupon expired. I got that coupon along with STL on E.T. and LOTR Giftset as well as super saving shipping.

Like you said sometimes they do send them out separate of each other if the dates are really far apart.

LOTR Giftset had a price increase today as well, so hopefully you still have a STL deal in your account from the old price.
The order I canceled was placed on last Friday with the $10 off coupon as well and they gave me separate shipment for each DVD (under $99 ship free, if it matters). Today I placed a new order for the same DVDs but they only gave me 1 shipment (under $49 ship free). I placed it around noon, an hour or two before they jacked up the price on the LOTR gift set! I hope they would not stick to what the order status says but ship the first three DVDs first since there is a 3 month wait between them and the LOTR.

Btw, you won't get the old price in your STL account after they jack up the price on the item, unless you have already ordered it. The remaining LOTR in my STL account (I received 3) now reflects the new price, even they showed the old price this morning.

dvd-fanman
06-19-02, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by eau
Btw, you won't get the old price in your STL account after they jack up the price on the item, unless you have already ordered it. The remaining LOTR in my STL account (I received 3) now reflects the new price, even they showed the old price this morning.

Thanks for the information. I'm still pretty new to the STL feature of Amazon and I'll note this for the future. :)