Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

New Sony WEGA TVs???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-02, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Sony WEGA TVs???

Has anyone seen the new Sony WEGA TVs?

I was at BB this week and saw the new Sony KV-32HV500. It has a redesigned cabinet, some new features like a memory stick interface and the KV series now has Cinemotion 3:2 pulldown like last year's XBR for only $1500 retail.

It's certainly intriguing at that pricepoint. It was nice, but the picture didn't blow me away like I had hoped (you never know about the quality of the video source they show on all of the televisions at a Best Buy anyway, or how the picture is adjusted on the store demo sets.)

In any case, I'm in the market for a new set, but wonder how this year's XBR will improve on last year's. Anyone heard any rumors about new features or improvements with the yet to be released sets by Sony? Do the forum experts think I should wait and see ('til August/September when XBRs are due), or pull the trigger now?

Thanks for your input!!!
Old 06-16-02, 09:39 AM

SONY

Harley
Old 06-16-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i don't know, but they look really great to me! man, if only my toshiba were to be dropped...

but i'm still torn about getting a widescreen vs the heavy sony vvegas.
Old 06-16-02, 08:05 PM

I just got the 40" picture tube WEGA (appearently the world's largest picture tube tv) and may i say...the f-ing heaviest . At almost 400 lbs this puppy is a deliver it, place it and never move it again item. The matching Sony stand is a definite must and ironically without wheels or casters? Anyhoo, the dvd via component video (2 input sets, thank god) is stunning. I highly recommend this item since I have projections (and yes I have had my share of projections as well). Now all I need is $10 grand worth of logging so I can get a clear DISH signal and utilize this puppy to the max.
Old 06-16-02, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by DVDTAILSPIN
I just got the 40" picture tube WEGA (appearently the world's largest picture tube tv) and may i say...the f-ing heaviest . At almost 400 lbs this puppy is a deliver it, place it and never move it again item.
At least you don't have to worry about anyone breaking into your house and stealing your TV. Sounds like they'd need a forklift to pull that one off!

Thanks to Harley as well. Your link put me in the right direction, and I found this Sony Press Release:
Sony Shifts to all Flat-Screen CRTs

It seems that the 32" XBRs (4:3) are discontinued from the lineup.
They'll still have 36" & 40" XBRs (4:3) and a 34" XBR (16:9)

The main difference between the XBRs and the KV Series are a new "DRC Multifunction V1" circuit, and what Sony calls a "HD Detailer" All other features are similar from what I can tell. Maybe the cabinet or sound is different, but that's not important to me.

I read the description, and HD Detailer would seem to be good for the future when HD broadcast signals are more prevalent, but what interests me more is the updated DRC. About the only knock I've heard against the XBRs is that the input signal quality is critical. For example, if you have a poor cable TV signal, then the flaws of the image really show on an XBR. On one hand, I realize that the TV is just accurately displaying the input given it, but until HD signals are prevalent, I'm going to log alot of hours on this TV watching broadcast, 480i signals. The TV needs to be able to do a respectable job of showing these images. Especially if I'm going to drop $2000 on a television set. Based on the DRC V1 description, it seems that you have more control over how the DRC enhances the input signal which would seem to address this complaint and get the best image possible based on the video source.

These to features are only available on the XBRs and the KV-32HV600 which is $1900 at Sony.com:
KV-32HV600

I think I am going to wait a little while 'til the new models are reviewed to see how much value the new features add to the TV.

Thanks for your help!
JP
Old 06-16-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVDTAILSPIN
I just got the 40" picture tube WEGA (appearently the world's largest picture tube tv) and may i say...the f-ing heaviest . At almost 400 lbs this puppy is a deliver it, place it and never move it again item. The matching Sony stand is a definite must and ironically without wheels or casters? Anyhoo, the dvd via component video (2 input sets, thank god) is stunning. I highly recommend this item since I have projections (and yes I have had my share of projections as well). Now all I need is $10 grand worth of logging so I can get a clear DISH signal and utilize this puppy to the max.
heheh! yup! my tv weighs about 70lbs and i don't like to move it around (part of the issue is bulk). but at 400 lbs, i'd better get to like how it's placed! and that the floor is reinforced.

i live in a forest (not literally ) but i have a whole bunch of trees easily about 100ft tall blocking all of my south and of course, i live on the wrong side of a hill... so satellite's not going to happen here. but i still wouldn't cut down the oak trees.