Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Black Hawk Down : The Video Game

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-02, 12:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black Hawk Down : The Video Game

Now you too can experience the thrills and action that was Black Hawk Down! What kid wouldn't want to raid Somalia for Christmas? Just remind them to beware of being dragged through the streets of Mogadishu!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._wargames_dc_4

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 06-09-02 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-10-02, 12:41 PM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My 1st thought was they shouldn't do this game. But with MOH and all the other past historical war games, should this be treated any different because it is a more recent event?

Do we need to be Politcally Correct and NOT portray/depict a mostly US caucasian elite forces slaughtering african warlord controlled militia and civilians?

I say screw being PC, if they develop the game, they should do it as historically accurate as possible.

If they tone it down, then they are showing little or no respect for those that were actually involved.
Old 06-10-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Deleted threadcrap. - Static Screw this idea for a game, we need more games about the Crusades. That sounds like fun.

Last edited by Static Cling; 06-14-02 at 01:10 AM.
Old 06-11-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved the movie and I am looking forward to the game. IMHO it is no different than any other war game...
Old 06-11-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
there should be a counter strike mod for this movie
Old 06-11-02, 01:28 PM
Banned

"Some even speculate it could lead to games about other tragedies -- maybe even Sept. 11."

What, Grand Theft Airplane?
Old 06-12-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

very curious what people think of this.

It strikes me as incredibly tacky and insensitive.
Old 06-12-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BigStinky
It strikes me as incredibly tacky and insensitive.
In all sincerity...Am I missing something? How is it different than a WWII or Vietnam video game?
Old 06-12-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by boobietheclown
In all sincerity...Am I missing something? How is it different than a WWII or Vietnam video game?
Time.

I don't have a big problem with WWII games although I don't think turning the D-Day landing into a game is necessary.

At least with MOH, 50+ years have passed. It does seem to me that time is a factor in how we should treat an event. MOH seems less tacky to me than this game. Plus the MOH soldiers are generic and it's much harder to associate characters in that game with the real people who were actually there.

Having said all that, I really do enjoy playing generic combat games. Even if it's set within the context of a real war like WWII or Vietnam. I just don't see the point in taking an actual recent battle and making a game out of it.
Old 06-13-02, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why was my post deleted? I made a comment about making a game based on a event that took place over a thousand years ago yet someone can make a comment on sept. 11th. not fair.

I restored most of your post. - Static

Last edited by Static Cling; 06-14-02 at 10:09 AM.
Old 06-14-02, 12:25 AM
Mod Emeritus

Not really a bright spot in our history. Will you be able to kill the children that fought against the troops? That was pretty much left out of the movie though too.
Old 06-14-02, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Doing a game is no tackier than distorting the events to make a movie starring Josh "What the hell is that thing on my neck" Hartnett. I don't see why it's appropriate as part of one's entertainment regimen to take it in as a Saturday matinee, but not to play a game based on the operations.

I don't find it the least bit strange that they would want to make a video game out of these real-world military operations; it's not that much different than the concepts behind the Rainbow Six games (and Tom Clancy's novels), Counterstrike, Soldier of Fortune, and all the other tactical shooters.

What I do think is tacky is that they are either licensing the movie, or have found that they can use the title without a license, and are capitalizing on the film to push what is likely to be a very bad game.
Old 06-14-02, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I have no problem with it being a game, no different than Vietnam or WW2... I do see the other side of the issue, however... most of us Genx'ers were either there or know people who were, its a lot more difficult to distance ourselves from the violence... but thats a personal choice.

If you don't want to own it, don't buy it.
Old 06-14-02, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
One thing that a WWII pilot told me the other day while I was playing cs.

"Wow. real interesting these games are. I bet if you were actually fought in a real war, You wouldn't want to play these games"

I still play Counter strike, but you know, his words are so true. the point of this is. Well we may play the games and all, but it's nothing like what it would be in reality. theres no way a black hawk down game can every come close to the reality of the events.

Makes you wonder what kinda format and engine they will use for the game.
Old 06-14-02, 03:28 AM

This feels like some bad marketing ploy. Who knows, it might end up being a decent game. I wonder what engine they will be using.
This kind of FPS (CS, MOH, Rainbow Six) has never been my cup of tea. Give me Unreal Tournament anyday.