Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The end of Aggro-rock/rap-rock? (or, is Alt-rock music getting better?)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-02, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been completely turned off to listening to alternative rock stations for a few years, ever since the arrival of such absolutely bottom-of-the-litter music like Limp Bizkit, P.O.D., and of course Mudvayne (worst. band. ever.). Some, like Staind and Linkin Park, are merely tolerable if often way too self-indulgently whiny. But the point is that whenever I put on an alt-rock station, there would be someone screaming. I decided to avoid incurring headaches by just not listening to the radio (some noted exceptions, however, like Tool and System of a Down).

However, I went down to LA this weekend, and decided to pick up KROQ along the way. To my surprise, the radio stations are now picking up on the "new rock" bandwagon, and are playing less aggro-rock/rap-rock. Especially, I was REALLY happy to hear bands like The Hives and The Vines getting more & more popular.

So there it is - the next wave that will destroy crappy rock is garage band with 60s Rolling Stones attitude. The Strokes, The White Stripes, The Hives, and The Vines are here! And I couldn't be more ecstatic. I can finally listen to alt-rock radio again without cringing!

Lastly, the new Red Hot Chilli Peppers song is GREAT.
Old 06-11-02, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope and pray you're right. I was thinking about this yesterday and how it seems this new-metal trend is just getting worse and not better. I hope it has peaked. Friday night here in Atlanta the local commercial alternative station brought in Nickelback and 35,000 people showed up (free concert). Icky.
Old 06-11-02, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,147 Posts
snobs...
Old 06-11-02, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: The end of Aggro-rock/rap-rock? (or, is Alt-rock music getting better?)

Originally posted by Grimfarrow
and of course Mudvayne (worst. band. ever.)

You forgot about Slipknot. They royally blow.
Old 06-11-02, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really have no concern anymore for what's playing on the radio and what is cool....I'm still listening to the same bands I have for, what, almost 10 years? (Pearl Jam, Counting Crows, Mazzy Star, The Verve, Weezer...) Lately there has been very few that have piqued my interest but for Pete Yorn, The Strokes, Ryan Adams, and a few more. The bands now either sound like Alice and Chains with Eddie Vedder signing or Korn or a generic hybrid of the two....I talk like I'm 50, but I'm only 24...Either way the rock these days is just horrid.
Old 06-11-02, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really have no concern anymore for what's playing on the radio and what is cool
I generally have the same feeling, but it does make a difference sometimes. For instance, there are free concerts in downtown Atlanta every Friday night all summer. A Top 40 radio station and an alternative station are the sponsors (two different events with two different stages). Since this neometal stuff is what is popular, there is a glut of this stuff performing. I wouldn't mind checking out a couple of bands, but from the WHOLE list that is coming only They Might Be Giants is of mild interest to me. That's when I get a bit miffed about what's on the radio.
Old 06-11-02, 10:15 AM

I don't know about the end of the trend (I personally really like bands like disturbed, sevendust, mudvayne etc) but also love Hendrix, Grateful Dead, Motley Crue (& all the hair bands) along with Wu Tang and Das Efx and rap music.

I get annoyed at the lack of variety of most radio stations but that's what cd's are for. Personally bands like the strokes and hives and white stripes are just boring to me.
Old 06-11-02, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by atlantamoi
I hope and pray you're right. I was thinking about this yesterday and how it seems this new-metal trend is just getting worse and not better. I hope it has peaked. Friday night here in Atlanta the local commercial alternative station brought in Nickelback and 35,000 people showed up (free concert). Icky.
I was down there to see Jerry Cantrell (which was great, of course), and we stuck around for part of Nickleback. Jeebus, that was a boring show. They even had pyro. Still sucked.

G-Love was pretty cool, though. : )

As for the upcoming shows, N.E.R.D. is playing. I'm going to see them, for sure. I guess some might pile them in the rap-rock bin, but they're really a hiphop act. Entertaining guys, whatever the case.

(and yes, TMBG will be great to see again, too!)
Old 06-11-02, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The end of Aggro-rock/rap-rock? (or, is Alt-rock music getting better?)

Lastly, the new Red Hot Chilli Peppers song is GREAT.
Actually it sounds like a cookie-cutter track from "Californication".

Too bad radio will play it into the ground in a matter of weeks.

Hearing Anthony Kiedis' voice these days is akin to fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

Way. Way. Overplayed.
Old 06-11-02, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by El Gray

G-Love was pretty cool, though. : )
I've seen G. Love and Special Sauce a few times...not one of my favorites but always a really entertaining show. Also, has anyone else noticed that this guy might have the most attractive female fans in rock?
Old 06-11-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the radio sucks and always will. i can feel your pain about nu-metal. few bands are good and the ones that suck with one ok song, all get played waaaay too much.

if you do like metal and just sick of the overplay check out flybanger, i haven't heard them ever on the radio, picked up their cd for 9 bucks at best buy a few months ago and i really enjoy the cd, the whole cd!

then there is soulfly, i love soulfly.
Old 06-11-02, 04:46 PM

Re: Re: The end of Aggro-rock/rap-rock? (or, is Alt-rock music getting better?)

Originally posted by Jason

You forgot about Slipknot. They royally blow.
Oh yeah. Slipknot IS indeed utterly crappy.

As for the guy dissin' RHCP, I happen to like them before, and I like them now. To me, "By the Way" reminds me more of the 1st single to the horrid album "One Hot Minute", with the harmony that the guys have perfected on Californication.

Lostatmidnight - I hear ya pal. I'm 24 as well For the longest time I couldn't listen to the radio, and as such I just slink back to my usual Weezer, Radiohead, Bjork, Godspeed You Black Emperor, etc.). But I really like The White Stripes, The Hives & The Strokes.

Plus, it's always a joy to me whenever I hear "Keep Fishin'" on the radio (until it's overplayed like Hash Pipe)
Old 06-11-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, as a non-radio-listening, non-tv-watching guy who likes good music but has all but given up on the new stuff, How might I sample the White Stripes, The Hives, and The Others you've made mention of here? Best album from each? Musically similar to....?
Old 06-12-02, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Re: The end of Aggro-rock/rap-rock? (or, is Alt-rock music getting better?)

Oh yeah. Slipknot IS indeed utterly crappy.

As for the guy dissin' RHCP, I happen to like them before, and I like them now. To me, "By the Way" reminds me more of the 1st single to the horrid album "One Hot Minute", with the harmony that the guys have perfected on Californication.

Lostatmidnight - I hear ya pal. I'm 24 as well For the longest time I couldn't listen to the radio, and as such I just slink back to my usual Weezer, Radiohead, Bjork, Godspeed You Black Emperor, etc.). But I really like The White Stripes, The Hives & The Strokes.

I like RHCP so much I won't even say "One Hot Minute" was horrid . It's not as good as some others, but I still like it heh.

And add me to the list of 24 year olds that hate the radio and still listen to the stuff from the early to mid 90's. Only problem for me in this debate is that the music you speak of to "come along and kill aggro rock"...well I hate that crap too Ah well, that's why I have an mp3 player in the car.
Old 06-12-02, 01:55 PM
Suspended

What is this radio thing you speak of??
Old 06-12-02, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
am i the only one who actually listens to the radio on a regular basis.
Old 06-12-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
am i the only one who actually listens to the radio on a regular basis.
I dont think i have listened to the radio in years. I listen to mostly hardcore, electronic music, and hip hop. There is not one station that plays any of those. All the stations around here play rap, pop, or country. Then there is a few of the "rock" stations that play crappy Nu-metal and the like. I always just figured it was the area i lived in, but i guess the radio sucks everywhere.
Old 06-12-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by TeeSeeJay
So, as a non-radio-listening, non-tv-watching guy who likes good music but has all but given up on the new stuff, How might I sample the White Stripes, The Hives, and The Others you've made mention of here? Best album from each? Musically similar to....?
Go out and buy these CDs right now:

The White Stripes - self-titled debut
The new album, White Blood Cells, is getting all the hype, and it is a very good album, but their debut from a few years ago is just effin' brilliant.

The Hives - Veni Vidi Vicious
Been out in the UK and Europe for over a year but just got a US release late last year. Pure garage punk rock fun with attitude to spare.

...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - Source Tags & Codes
Their new album is raw, powerful and a great hybrid of emo and garage punk.

The Strokes - Is This It
The critical darlings of the neo garage movement, and while they are quite good, try to ignore the hype as it is impossible to live up to.

Another plus, these can usually be had for a great price. I got The White Stripes and Trail of Dead both for $10 each, new, sealed.

D
Old 06-13-02, 12:17 AM

Good list, Darin! But you forgot Doves' "The Last Broadcast" and The Vines' upcoming album

np: PPK - Resurrection
Old 06-13-02, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RevLiver

Go out and buy these CDs right now:

The White Stripes - self-titled debut
The new album, White Blood Cells, is getting all the hype, and it is a very good album, but their debut from a few years ago is just effin' brilliant.

The Hives - Veni Vidi Vicious
Been out in the UK and Europe for over a year but just got a US release late last year. Pure garage punk rock fun with attitude to spare.

...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead - Source Tags & Codes
Their new album is raw, powerful and a great hybrid of emo and garage punk.

The Strokes - Is This It
The critical darlings of the neo garage movement, and while they are quite good, try to ignore the hype as it is impossible to live up to.

Another plus, these can usually be had for a great price. I got The White Stripes and Trail of Dead both for $10 each, new, sealed.

D
I'll do that this weekend. I've been dying for something new and brilliant to listen to.

"...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead" -- Is that the name of the band? Is that listed under "A" or what?
Old 06-13-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Listening to Trail of Dead right now. The Hives and the Strokes have finished the first run-through. Didn't find the White Stripes first album at my local neighborhood Best Buy today, so it'll have to wait.

This stuff is pretty good. I swear I've heard a couple of these songs somewhere. The Hives' "I Hate to say i told you so" I've heard before and thought it was great. Whoo.

Thanks, guys. Who are these "The Vines" you keep referring to?
Old 06-14-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Good list, Darin! But you forgot Doves' "The Last Broadcast" and The Vines' upcoming album

np: PPK - Resurrection
When I posted that list, I didn't have The Last Broadcast yet, just Lost Souls. I've since corrected that oversight.

And I'll be getting the Vines' disc as soon as it's out.

Allow me to also recommend:

Clinic - Walking With Thee
I think this is the best disc released so far this year. I don't know if Best Buy would have it, so you may have to check your local indie music store, but it's well worth it. Sort of a combination of Radiohead experimentalism with punk. In fact, they opened for Radiohead in Europe. Going to see them at the end of the month in Philadelphia.

The Notwist - Neon Golden
More experimental stuff, mixing acoustic and electronics to great effect. Also an indie release that Best Buy is not likely to have.

Cornelius - Point
Crazy wacked out Japanese noisepunk and experimental electronics, with samples from cartoons and the like. Can't wait to see this guy in NYC in August, should be insane.