Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Link playable in Soul Calibur 2 on Gamecube!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From IGNCube's Hyrule Times:

Although not long ago Sony was claiming exclusivity of the next installment in the Soul Calibur franchise, the truth is that the arcade fighting game is still coming to all three next-generation consoles -- with one major distinction: the GameCube version has something special...

Yep, you better believe it: playable Link. Our sources in Japan confirmed to us that as an added bonus for GameCube fans, Namco and Nintendo are adding "Adult Link" to the Soul Calibur II roster as a playable character. Given Link's tried-and-true combat abilities (after all, he's been in both Smash Bros. games and has braved a dozen standalone adventures), the nimble Hylian should make a formidable foe against the likes of Siegfried, Astaroth, Kilik, and Xianghua. Though details on Link's exact role in Soul Calibur are non-existent at this point, our green-shrouded friend will most likely be able to make use of his trusted Master Sword as well as some secondary weapons like the hookshot, boomerang, or the bow and arrow.

The surprise addition is no doubt a result of the initially harsh feedback to Nintendo's new direction with the look of the upcoming GameCube Zelda. Gamers wanted to play as "Spaceworld 2000 Link" in a game, so Nintendo used its close ties to arcade game developer Namco to make that dream come true. While not as exciting as the announcement of another Zelda adventure, Link's inclusion in Soul Calibur II is proof that Nintendo has not at all abandoned the concept of the more realistic Link seen in Ocarina of Time. And considering the quality of the original Soul Calibur, having the main star of one of Nintendo's very best game franchises appear in Namco's most critically acclaimed game can only be a good thing.

It is unclear at this point if the Xbox and PS2 versions of Soul Calibur II will feature any additional features or characters, but Link is obviously exclusive to the GameCube version.
Wow!
Old 06-10-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SSWWEEETTTTTTTTTTTT!
Old 06-10-02, 10:05 PM

Too bad I'll take the Xbox version over the GC version. Couldn't imagine playing with that controller!

Maybe the Xbox version will get Master Chief
Old 06-10-02, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very nice Nintendo!
Old 06-10-02, 10:58 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome. I figured Nintendo would get something extra in Soul Calibur 2 since they are now partners with Namco on the Triforce arcade board and Namco is doing a new Starfox shooter.

I'm definitely getting the GCN version over the PS2 version now, controller be damned. Hopefully it will play well with the analog stick on the GCN, then it will be better than the dual shock IMO, as I prefer the GCN controllers buttong layout, but hate it's teeny D-pad.
Old 06-10-02, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This makes me lean toward the GCN version. Controller and memory card issues or not.
Old 06-10-02, 11:44 PM
Retired

Shouldn't be any memory card issues with a fighting game. I can't recall any fighting games every taking all that much memory. It's really only an issue for sports games.
Old 06-11-02, 12:05 AM

A very nice move by Nintendo.
Old 06-11-02, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Oh Yeah!!!
Old 06-11-02, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Mattalos
Too bad I'll take the Xbox version over the GC version. Couldn't imagine playing with that controller!
You don't have to play with the GC controller, I got a convertor so I can use the PS2 controller on the GC Only $9.95 too, anyone else who's interested should check out www.levelsix.com, they work great!

This news bit made my day!!!!! I dominate with Link on Super Smash bros melee, though the game play is totally different from SC. I also hope they include a stage from the world of Hyrule. But even if they don't, Link is cool!
Old 06-11-02, 07:59 AM

ummmm, from I read, the possibility of Link is only a rumor (source: www.gamecubeweekly.com)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>[ Stupid Tekken 4 Ruining Our Fun ]

Well, despite Sony’s claims otherwise during their E3
press conference: Soul Calibur 2 is definitely coming to
the cube and the box. However, it seems to have been
pushed back into next year. Why? Because Namco doesn’t
want to hurt sales of Tekken 4.

Not that the extra development time won’t be used. Rumors
abound that the Gamecube version of Soul Calibur 2 will
be the best. Why? One rumor points to the cube-to-GBA
link cable being used so that users who buy the GBA SC2
get extra goodies. Another rumor has Nintendo characters
appearing in the cube SC2. But wait... what Nintendo
character uses a weapon? Why, Link!

Finally, I’d just like to add that if Namco really wants
to make the home version of SC2 even better than sex; all
they need to do is rip off Virtua Fighter 4’s Kumante
mode.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

looks like IGN turned a rumor into fact on their own.
Old 06-11-02, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

looks like IGN turned a rumor into fact on their own.
How do you figure that? Of course IGN could be full of ****, but it's also possible they know something that gamecubeweekly.com doesn't. I know gamecubeweekly.com is a great site *snicker* but it is possible.
Old 06-11-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kellehair

How do you figure that? Of course IGN could be full of ****, but it's also possible they know something that gamecubeweekly.com doesn't. I know gamecubeweekly.com is a great site *snicker* but it is possible.
Well, there is the fact that both IGN and gamers.com are quoting their dubious "sources in Japan."
Old 06-11-02, 10:15 AM
Banned

Soul Calibur 2 was an arcade game?
Old 06-11-02, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Kellehair

C'mon-------this is IGN we're talking about------------they're infamous game-whores who sell out on the drop of a hat and they over-indulge in rumors. Let's not turn this into a debate about who's more credible--------at this point Link in SC2 is just a rumor----time will tell.
Old 06-11-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Snake Plissken
Soul Calibur 2 was an arcade game?
just like soul calibur. arcade games before home games
Old 06-11-02, 01:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton

just like soul calibur. arcade games before home games
Yeah, but I had no idea Soul Caliber 2 was an arcade game. Its nowhere in my area! SC is by far my favorite fighting game ever.
Old 06-11-02, 02:58 PM
Retired

It's not out in arcardes yet as far as I know. I believe it comes out later this summer/fall, with the home versions early next year.
Old 06-11-02, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joshhinkle
I can't recall any fighting games every taking all that much memory.
Oh no I didnt mean that. I just meant the accumulation of them. I think I have 14 VMUs. I have said all things being equal I would buy the Box versions from now on. But Link? In Soul Calibur?!?!? Thats way far from equal. Were not talking slightly shinier graphics.
Old 06-11-02, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by joltaddict

Oh no I didnt mean that. I just meant the accumulation of them. I think I have 14 VMUs. I have said all things being equal I would buy the Box versions from now on. But Link? In Soul Calibur?!?!? Thats way far from equal. Were not talking slightly shinier graphics.
Well,,, you know the word on the street is that Bill Gates wanted to be remembered so badly he bought himself a place in the Xbox version as a extra character. In a attempt to provide gamers of the xbox with a unique gaming experiance Bill has demanded that his character be dressed in green tights and carry a sword.

Jokes aside this is kind of cool. But I'm not sure if Link really fits the game. Time will tell.
Old 06-11-02, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
the word on the street is that Bill Gates wanted to be remembered so badly he bought himself a place in the Xbox version as a extra character.
How cool would it be to kick the snot out of Bill Gates.
Old 06-12-02, 11:20 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

If this is true, this is the coolest thing Namco or Nintendo has ever done. Anyone that has a Gamecube, and opts to buy this game for another system, is off their rocker in my opinion. If it's just to escape the Cube's controller, use the controller converter... A feature like this is way too big to be missed.