Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Audio is low.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-02, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio is low.

Guys, I am new to this board and hope someone can help me with an audio problem I am having. Seems like when I watch regular tv at vol 10 the sound is o.k. but when I play a dvd at the same vol 10 the sound is very low. I am using the a/v cables to connect to my stero tv would monster cables solve the problem?
I thought dvd's would sound better than my regular tv but they don't.
Old 06-10-02, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Audio is low.

Originally posted by BISOM
Guys, I am new to this board and hope someone can help me with an audio problem I am having. Seems like when I watch regular tv at vol 10 the sound is o.k. but when I play a dvd at the same vol 10 the sound is very low. I am using the a/v cables to connect to my stero tv would monster cables solve the problem?
I thought dvd's would sound better than my regular tv but they don't.
Need more info.

Is your DVD player connected directly to your TV?
What model TV and DVD player?
Does this happen on all DVD's or just some?

This will get more help on the Home Theater Hardware board.
Old 06-10-02, 12:38 PM

Re: Audio is low.

Yes the dvd player is connected directly to the tv. I have a panasonic tv and a toshiba dvd player. Thanks Brian.
Old 06-10-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Re: Audio is low.

Originally posted by BISOM
Yes the dvd player is connected directly to the tv. I have a panasonic tv and a toshiba dvd player. Thanks Brian.
It sounds to me like there is a setting either in the TV or the DVD player that is not right. If the player is trying to output a DD 5.1 signal that might be a problem.
Old 06-10-02, 12:55 PM

It could also be that your cable company just sends their audio signals at louder levels than your dvd output. I seem to run into the same thing with my setup.

It usually stems from the compression from the cable company, trying to get the signal as loud as possible. With each dvd mastered, the audio mixes will be more dynamic, and have loud loud's and low low's in the mix.

But I do agree that the Home Theater Forum is the best place to ask...those folks know their stuff.
Old 06-10-02, 12:57 PM

Thanks for you help guys.
Old 06-10-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is perfectly normal... Don't worry about it.

Advice... Go get thee a proper 5.1 DD/DTS setup pronto if you want to really enjoy DVD... That stereo TV mix ain't gonna cut it.
Old 06-10-02, 01:05 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome, BISOM! The DVD Talk "Main" forum is for discussion of DVD releases. Hardware discussions like yours are more fit for our Hardware forum.

Moving thread.
Old 06-11-02, 12:39 AM

I run into the same problem on mine. I have a Toshiba player as well but going into an audio system. The cable system assessment hits the nail on the head.
Old 06-12-02, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I too hate the fact that its at least 1/2 as quiet as everything else. I watch TV at around 32 on my volume, and have to watch dvds at 15-18. I dont think it has anything to do with the cable tv companies though, It has to do with the way the DVD audio is mixed. Theres always articles about this in Home Theater magazines, but I cannot recall the exact reasons this occurs. Ive also noticed that DVDS are much louder if I watch them in 6 Channel surround, as oppsed to DD5.1.