Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Pet peeve with ordering from Ebay

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 06-09-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate people who charge you priority shipping costs, then mail out the item at book rate (or something else just as cheap) and pack it sloppilly. And people who can't pack things right. Heck, I've had DVDs arrive before with cracked cases because the person couldn't be bothered to get a padded envelope and send it right. Even if the rest of the service I get from the seller is good, I want to leave a negative feedback just because of things like that. Does this bug anybody else and how do you generally deal with it?
Old 06-09-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Bugs me too. I once got a DVD that was just covered with paper. The case came cracked and the DVD was out of the spindle
Old 06-09-02, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's exactly what feedback was created for. You can leave a neutral if you don't want to leave a negative, but it really shouldn't matter that other transactions you've done with the seller were good. If one deal goes well, leave positive feedback, if not, leave negative feedback. You're not obligated to give anyone positive feedback because they've done good stuff for you in the past.
Old 06-09-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would definitely complain if a seller stated priority shipment but sent it media mail. Have you contacted the seller? Have either one of you left feedback? Ask for a refund for the difference in shipping costs and take matters from there to ebay's customer service if the seller refuses.

Good luck.
Old 06-10-02, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Pet peeve with ordering from Ebay

Originally posted by calhoun07
I hate people who charge you priority shipping costs, then mail out the item at book rate
Did the auction specify that they would ship it Priority Mail? If not then you simply agreed to purchase something that would be shipped in an undetermined manner for $3.50 (or whatever) and that was your decision.

There are a lot of eBayers who charge, what I believe to be, outrageous shipping and/or handling costs. I just take that amount into consideration when bidding.
Old 06-10-02, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts
Re: Re: Pet peeve with ordering from Ebay

Originally posted by new2theplace

Did the auction specify that they would ship it Priority Mail? If not then you simply agreed to purchase something that would be shipped in an undetermined manner for $3.50 (or whatever) and that was your decision.

There are a lot of eBayers who charge, what I believe to be, outrageous shipping and/or handling costs. I just take that amount into consideration when bidding.
I've noticed that as well. Someone will state a charge of $3.50 or $3.95 for shipping a CD, book, or DVD, but you can't assume it will be sent Priority.

Really, the only thing you really can do is take the shipping charges into account when figuring your bid, and have the bid + shipping be the MAXIMUM TOTAL you are willing to pay for the item.
Old 06-10-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Re: Re: Re: Pet peeve with ordering from Ebay

Originally posted by Josh-da-man

I've noticed that as well. Someone will state a charge of $3.50 or $3.95 for shipping a CD, book, or DVD, but you can't assume it will be sent Priority.

Really, the only thing you really can do is take the shipping charges into account when figuring your bid, and have the bid + shipping be the MAXIMUM TOTAL you are willing to pay for the item.
Also, if it's not the last day the auction is open, you can contact the seller through eBay's link and ask what shipping method they will be using.
Old 06-11-02, 03:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pet peeve with ordering from Ebay

Originally posted by RevLiver

Also, if it's not the last day the auction is open, you can contact the seller through eBay's link and ask what shipping method they will be using.
Yes CONTACT the seller if you don't know what method they use. By just bidding you agree to pay for that amount for shipping no matter what method they use. Sometimes, sellers add ebay fees and misc fees into the shipping cost, which is why it is sometimes high.
Old 06-11-02, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had sellers charge $5 or $6 US for shipping to Canada (one guy wanted to charge $10 US for regular shipping), and when I get it, the postage is $1.30. Throw in some cash for the envelope, and they have another couple of bucks profit.
Old 06-11-02, 07:55 AM
Cool New Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pet peeve with ordering from Ebay

Originally posted by agent2099

Yes CONTACT the seller if you don't know what method they use. By just bidding you agree to pay for that amount for shipping no matter what method they use. Sometimes, sellers add ebay fees and misc fees into the shipping cost, which is why it is sometimes high.
I have been buying/selling on eBay for over three years. ALWAYS inquire about the shipping method before bidding much less wimming. Never assume the charge is Priority.

I ship Priority for everything and sometimes FedEx over night.

I detest people who rape you on shipping charges. They give eBay a bad name among other things.
Old 06-13-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like sellers who SPECIFICALLY say exactly what form of shipping is used for that cost. Too many people say, for example, "$3.00 shipping". I need to know if that's media mail (over one month to Hawaii) or first class, at least. If the auction is ending soon and there's not enough time to email the seller, I have to pass on bidding, rather than taking a chance. It's a pet peeve of mine why they won't be clear about it upfront.

But my biggest peeve are sellers who charge more for shipping to Hawaii when, as part of the U.S., rates are EXACTLY the same to us.
Old 06-13-02, 10:58 PM

Originally posted by rkndkn
But my biggest peeve are sellers who charge more for shipping to Hawaii when, as part of the U.S., rates are EXACTLY the same to us.
Yes, that's true for USPS shipping. It's not true for FedEx & UPS, since they're zone based. And July 1st, so will some of the USPS services.
Old 06-14-02, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 449 Likes on 307 Posts
Originally posted by happypants
Yes, that's true for USPS shipping. It's not true for FedEx & UPS, since they're zone based. And July 1st, so will some of the USPS services.
Wha?? Which services?

BTW, for the Hawaiians out there, I just found out some interesting shipping tips this week. You can ship to the Mainland and the Mainland can ship to Hawaii via Fedex Ground. Much cheaper than air, of course, and it takes 2-3 days to get to the West Coast, 7 days to the East Coast.

Also, Hawaii can ship UPS Ground to the Mainland, but the Mainland can only ship 2nd-Day Air to Hawaii. UPS Ground takes about the same time as Fedex Ground.
Old 06-14-02, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by Todd B.
Wha?? Which services?
Priority over 1 pound (used to be zoned over 5 pounds), and Express over 1/2 pound.

Another change starting the 30th, the Flat-Rate Priority envelope will be the 1 pound rate, instead of the 2 pound rate. So whatever you can cram in one (no matter how much it weighs) will be $3.85 (the new 1 pound rate.)

Also you will be able to use Delivery and Signature Confirmation on 1st class if it's in a box or > 3/4 inch thick. (1st Class has to be under 13 ozs.)

Go here for more info.
Old 06-17-02, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I sell dvds, I charge $4 for shipping & HANDLING. I ship it first class and it usually ranges from $1.80 to $3.20 or so, depending on the dvd, if its 2 disc or if the packaging case is heavy. Then I drop an extra $.50 or so for a special padded envelope (better than bubble wrap) so that brings it to about $2.30 to $3.70. The rest of the difference can be accounted for my listing fees and such. That's why I specify shipping AND handling.
Old 06-17-02, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Originally posted by mytzplyx
When I sell dvds, I charge $4 for shipping & HANDLING. I ship it first class and it usually ranges from $1.80 to $3.20 or so, depending on the dvd, if its 2 disc or if the packaging case is heavy. Then I drop an extra $.50 or so for a special padded envelope (better than bubble wrap) so that brings it to about $2.30 to $3.70. The rest of the difference can be accounted for my listing fees and such. That's why I specify shipping AND handling.
When I sell DVDs I charge $1.75 for shipping & PACKAGING. I ship first class (stated in my auction) which costs $1.26, and has cost that much since the last postal increase, for a single DVD in a keepcase, snapper case DVDs cost less. I tack on the extra 49 cents to cover the cost of a padded envelope which I buy in packages of 5 to 25 from OfficeMax. My listing fees are part of the cost of doing business and I consider that cost when setting the starting price of an auction. Since handling consists of me carrying it to my car and driving to the post office on my way to work, I do not charge extra for this function.

If I paid $4 for shipping and the item wasn't shipped priority, I add the seller to my do not purchase from again list.

This is why I charge as low as possible for shipping, it brings me many repeat customers.