Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Perhaps not a new problem with Half.com?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-02, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Half problem that I need advice on but I want to clearly state that as long as I've been here I haven't seen anything quite like this. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, just that I haven't seen it.

I joined Half.com about four months ago. I opted for the check system rather than giving them access to my banking account. I currently have 3 months worth of sales for which I have not been paid for. Every e-mail I have sent gets replied to (usually sometimes after 5 days) informing me that they have sent payment but didn't get the check back.

I've been trying like crazy to get someone there to research the check, to see if it was cashed. So far it's been a week and I haven't heard from them. Perhaps I'm getting pissy, but is this there way of trying to get me to join their direct deposit program. I noticed that every e-mail (even the automated ones) from them asks for me to join it.

I just don't like the idea of this company which can't even get a check to me access to my account. Is this an unusal problem with Half.com in turns of getting paid?
Old 06-05-02, 08:30 AM

I've never had a problem getting a check from them.
Try calling them: 1-888-879-4253
I once disputed some bad feedback* someone left for me and it took them a few weeks to respond, although they did resolve it to my satisfaction.

* A lady that bought a used VHS tape of The Little Mermaid from me left feedback that the tape didn't work. This was about 7 or 8 months AFTER I had shipped the tape to her. Who knows what her children had done to it in that time? Half.com has (or had) a policy that you can't leave feedback more than 3 months (I think it's 3) after the transaction has been completed. So they removed the feedback.
Old 06-05-02, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have them send me checks, too, simply because I don't like the idea of them having access to my checking account. I've never had a problem receiving checks, but man I'd be pissed if I was you. I'd call them relentlessly until you get satisfaction. I'm willing to bet a phone call will get more action than an email. Good luck.
Old 06-05-02, 10:21 AM

I can't really speak the response you're getting (or not getting) on the check issue, but we're a high-volume seller and have been using Half's direct deposit for a long time. There are different banking procedures for depositing money in an account than withdrawaling (the latter being harder, obviously) and it takes additional paperwork and permission to do. It's my opinion that you're safe doing it, but anything could happen...
Old 06-05-02, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
When I used to receive checks, I never missed one. I switched to direct deposit for the convenience, especially since my paycheck is already direct deposited. And as stated earlier, you are only giving them permission to deposit money into your account. They can't make withdrawals. It's safe and I've not had any problems with it.
Old 06-05-02, 11:20 AM

It may depend on the bank policies. I once had negative balance in my Half account and Half had no problem withdrew money from my bank account. I thought I only gave them permission to deposit money. Well, when I called my bank, and they told me there's nothing they could do to block the transaction, unless I close the bank account. I didn't. I still use the direct deposit for convenience though.
Old 06-06-02, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the info. I'll be calling both my bank and Half later today. I didn't expect this kind of problem with them and it's good to hear there are a reputable company after all. I was beginning to wonder.
Old 06-06-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally posted by yiinhc
It may depend on the bank policies. I once had negative balance in my Half account and Half had no problem withdrew money from my bank account. I thought I only gave them permission to deposit money. Well, when I called my bank, and they told me there's nothing they could do to block the transaction, unless I close the bank account. I didn't. I still use the direct deposit for convenience though.
Same thing happened to me. My direct-deposit paycheck was $15 over once and there was a withdrawal transaction dated the next day. I was surprised that they didn't need my authorization to withdraw money so I called the bank and asked them if there was a way to make the account 'deposit only" or limit the amount they could withdraw. They said no. In fact, after I quit that job, I called again to ask if there was a way to take my former employer off the account. The person who answered told me there was no way to de-authorize anyone without closing the account and opening another one. I told him I found that hard to believe and he admitted that no one had ever asked about that before, but the only way he could do it was to close the account.