Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Megaman X7 on PS2 - What are your thoughts?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-02, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found this posted at IGN

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/361/361384p1.html

I'm not sure what to think of it. I have really enjoyed Megaman over the years, but I'm not sure how well the 3-D environment will work in the context of a Megaman game. I didn't care for the Megaman Legends series at all and I think it was mostly due to the 3-D environment -- I just don't think it works in a Megaman game. So I'm glad to see the Megaman series continue, but I'm dissapointed that we have almost certainly seen the last of 2-D Megaman and classic gaming.
Old 06-04-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

(sigh)
Old 06-04-02, 11:42 PM
Banned

Looks lame as hell. Zelda is using the cel art. Now Mega Man! Whats next? We need a good side-scrolling on these next generation systems. Why doesn't Mega Man have a face? He looks like Robocop mixed with Tron.
Old 06-04-02, 11:54 PM

Thank god there's always the Game Boy Advance.... They are making a new 2D Megaman game for the GBA.
Old 06-05-02, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Snake Plissken
Looks lame as hell. Zelda is using the cel art. Now Mega Man! Whats next? We need a good side-scrolling on these next generation systems. Why doesn't Mega Man have a face? He looks like Robocop mixed with Tron.
Well I only saw a minute trailer for it at E3 and I was impressed. X6 the last in the MegaMan X series was well..lacking. Theres only so much you can do with 2-D, and I too would love to have seen X7 carry on the 2-D tradition but sometimes change isnt good (Mega Man Legends). Heres hoping it's good!

..oh and I played Zelda (or Celda all depending on who you talk to) game is impressive!
Old 06-05-02, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
While a fun 2D Megaman game would have been cool, a 3D cel shaded Megaman may turn out great if executed well. Hopefully, it'll retain the same twitch gameplay in a 3D world.
Old 06-05-02, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like Capcom got bit by the Jet Set Radio Future bug. Not only is this game cel shaded, but the music used in the trailer is reminiscent of JSRF.
Old 06-05-02, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This looks okay I guess, and it seems that there are some 2-D sections in it. I don't see why they couldn't have done the whole thing as a 2.5-D game (2-D movement but with polygons for better animation and lighting effects).

The problem with the way this game looks is that the cel-shaded MM looks so out of place with the realistic backgrounds. That's what I didn't like about Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (even though that was a great game).

JSR, on the other hand, realizes that there is certain style you want to achieve with the cel-shading, and the backgrounds and other characters in the game are appropriately designed. I think Capcom could learn a lesson from Smilebit.
Old 06-05-02, 10:38 AM

I popped in Megaman X5 on PSX for old time sakes and wow was the graphics crappy back then!

Anyways, looking forward to X7
Old 06-05-02, 03:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Drexl
This looks okay I guess, and it seems that there are some 2-D sections in it. I don't see why they couldn't have done the whole thing as a 2.5-D game (2-D movement but with polygons for better animation and lighting effects).

The problem with the way this game looks is that the cel-shaded MM looks so out of place with the realistic backgrounds. That's what I didn't like about Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (even though that was a great game).

JSR, on the other hand, realizes that there is certain style you want to achieve with the cel-shading, and the backgrounds and other characters in the game are appropriately designed. I think Capcom could learn a lesson from Smilebit.
You took the words out of my mouth completely! Well said!

He looks like some cel-shaded space disco dancer running around on planet boring.
Old 06-05-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by zero

X6 the last in the MegaMan X series was well..lacking.
Yeah I'd agree with this the series needed some sort of change, even though I love Mega Man and the tried and true gameplay, but by the sixth game in the series it was too much of the same thing. They used the exact same graphics that were in the SNES MMX, even the boss dieing animations were exactly the same, no improvement. From the video it looks like that was an early version of X7, and plays a little slower than the usual MM, but I'm also hoping it'll be good! But for some reason I'm still excited to play Mega Man Zero on the GBA (which is 2D ).