Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Nicko McBrain from Iron Maiden...Has become a Christian.

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

I think it's very cool!!!!!!

Nicko McBrain/ Dan Spitz: Match Made In Heaven

By Sefany Jones, Assistant Editor
Tuesday, June 4, 2002 @ 1:54 PM

McBrain's Recent Collaboration With Dan Spitz (ex-Anthrax) Bound By Christian Beliefs

As we recently reported a collaboration between Iron Maiden's Nicko McBrain and Anthrax's Dan Spitz, Blabbermouth.net finds the bond that may tie these two musicians together:

Seems like there's more to the previously-reported collaboration between former Anthrax guitarist Dan Spitz and Iron Maiden drummer Nicko McBrain than meets the eye. Cross Rhythms, a UK Christian Music Resource, posted the following article in February of this year (all quotes taken from a Willow Creek Association News feature dated March/April 2001):

The drummer with million-selling heavy rock band Iron Maiden has become a Christian. Nicko McBrain, who recently finished an 18-month world tour in support of the band's Brave New World album, is now a part of the worship team at Spanish River Church in Florida, USA. The 48-year-old musician became a Christian through the witness and prayers of his wife Rebecca. McBrain, while visiting the Spanish River Church, found himself weeping. "I just sat there thinking, 'I didn't drink last night…why can't I stand?'" he told Willow Creek Association News. After praying to receive Christ, he began to read the Bible hungrily. "I had this love affair with Jesus going on in my heart."

An Iron Maiden fan became a Christian after McBrain shared his testimony at a church sponsored coffee house. "The way the Holy Spirit touched that room that night was immense," McBrain said. "I've never felt that way, before or since." Though he has played before 250,000 people, McBrain said he was more nervous when he began playing with the church worship team. McBrain told the News that after praying, he felt that he should remain with Iron Maiden, but "there's a greater calling on my life." He is considering enrolling in some seminary classes. "Without this church and this relationship with God, I don't know where I'd be right now. I just know that I want to be able to use my life for God.”

Cross Rhythms editor Tony Cummings commented, "It's wonderful news about the conversion of Nicko McBrain but also somewhat ironic. Back in the '80s and '90s all these books from evangelicals were appearing denouncing the music of heavy rock bands like Iron Maiden, Anthrax and Megadeth as 'satanic.' Now in the last couple of years we've seen Iron Maiden's Nicko McBrain, Anthrax's Daniel Spitz and Megadeth's Dave Ellefson all become Christians! Thankfully, some Christians were praying rather than playing the Pharisee."

In related news, The Rebecca Mcbrain Band, featuring Nicko's wife Rebecca, have made available an eight-song CD for purchase via their official web site at this location. Currently unsigned, the group's music is being described on the site as "a combination of powerful rock laced with unique contemporary stylings. With Rebecca's thoughtful, heartfelt lyrics, and fresh style, she is a truly moving performer. Backed up by smashing percussion and frenetic fret action on both guitar and bass, they have managed to create a brand new sound of their own."

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-05-02 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-05-02, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. After the girl from Christian Death became a Christian a few years ago nothing shocks me anymore. Dennis Danell, the Social Distortion guitarist who died two years ago was also a Christian. Probably others as well.
Old 06-05-02, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I'll take this as good news, as long as he doesn't get all high and mighty and leave Maiden.