Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Goo Goo Dolls tour!!!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-02, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I just saw them last night and I was very very impressed. They are an excellent band live on stage. They were very entertaining and they know how to pump up an audience. Yes, it's pretty obvious that they played their most popular hit songs from their popular albums like "A Boy Named Goo", "Dizzy Up the Girl" and "Gutterflowers". Johnny Rzeznik and the band were really singing the songs "live", they were definitely "NOT" faking it and lip synching because you can really hear their voices through the microphones. Plus, when the band plays the music, they make the songs sound totally different live then in the studio. In a lot of their songs, they did like a few 10 minute improvisational guitar jams, which sounded cool. Plus, between songs the band would act like comedians and Johnny Rzeznik would crak out jokes and get the audience laughing between songs. They closed the show with a cover tune of Tom Petty's "American Girl" which they did a great job at that song. Since the Goo Goo Dolls used to be a cover band before they were famous, I had a feeling they were going to cover a song or two. They really are a great band live, you may not like them in the studio but once you actually go see them live, you would actually think that they are a fun band to see live. Yes, they are a lot of fun. When they perform, they just don't stand there. They move around with their guitars and dance while they play the music. It's pretty obvious that they did play their hit songs like "Name", "Black Balloon", "Iris", etc. But they did play several songs that weren't big hits. The Go Goo Dolls are not the BEST band I've seen live but they were pretty damn good. If they come around your area, please go see them. You won't be dissapointed. I the sure the hell wasn't.

Last edited by Rocky_Stallone; 06-06-02 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-04-02, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw 'em live in '90. Back then they were a second rate Replacements (not that that's the worst thing). I lost total interest in them in the mid-90's. Wouldn't even go see them for free.
Old 06-04-02, 08:05 PM

Guitar_God, I'm w/ ya on the Goo love. They are probably the most mainstream music I listen to, but there's just something charming about them. My friend gave me a ticket to their concert in Memphis later this month. This will actually be my 4th time seeing them. They are real entertainers at their shows. They try to give you your money's worth. Can't wait for your review!
Old 06-05-02, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
I havn't followed them as much after the superstar car wash CD. They lost some of their hard-pop rock sound, which I do miss.
Old 06-05-02, 05:54 AM
Banned

Yeah I do like their older stuff more than the new stuff. "Superstar Car Wash" and "A Boy Named Goo" are both great albums. I hope they play some songs off those two albums tonight and I'm sure they will.
Old 06-05-02, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I caught their show last night in Mississauga (or for all intensive purposes Toronto) with a pair of comp tickets I won. I like some of the earlier Goo stuff and really enjoy their Dizzy Up The Girl album (not a big fan of their latest retread Gutterflower).

Well the show was pretty decent. They played a wide variety of songs (mostly from the last 3 records) and really kept the show moving at a brisk pace, barely taking any kind of break in between songs, which was great. As the set progressed, it started to get bogged down in self indulgent audience banter and they let Robbie sing far too many songs.

All in all, it was a decent and entertaining show but I was glad I didn't fork out the 40 bucks to see it. I'm sure you'll have a great time tonight at the show!
Old 06-05-02, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I saw these guys right around the time Superstar Car Wash came out. The concert was fairly entertaining as I remember, and I used to be a big fan of SCW and their earlier albums. They lost me with A Boy Named Goo and I haven't really listened to 'em since.
Old 06-05-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if they will sell out their concerts.
Old 06-05-02, 03:36 PM
Banned

I just read an article in the paper about them today and before they got famous, they used to be a punk rock cover band called The Sex Maggots. I didn't know that. Interesting.
Old 06-05-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Weird... I haven't thought about the Goo Goo Dolls in months and just a few minutes ago I went to listen to some of their music, then I see this thread
Old 06-05-02, 04:23 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by Gdrlv
I saw these guys right around the time Superstar Car Wash came out. The concert was fairly entertaining as I remember, and I used to be a big fan of SCW and their earlier albums. They lost me with A Boy Named Goo and I haven't really listened to 'em since.
Back in '93 (?), they played a huge free outdoor concert in Buffalo which was very cool. That was (IMHO) when they were at their best.
Old 06-06-02, 05:47 AM
Banned

*bump*

I just edited my first post with the review of the show last night.