Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Help needed for Madden 2002, help me beat my friend. Please!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I just got Madden 2002 for the PS2. I love to play with my friend from college. We've been playing all of the football games that come out since the Genesis and SNES, and I have consistently taken a drubbing from him almost every time. Well, 2002 is the year I turn the tables on him. BUT, I need your help.

Please post any "money plays" that you know about from Madden 2002. You know, the plays that are good for a first down or big gain almost every time you use them. Basicallly, my friend knows a lot more about football than I do, and I need to cheat. I know that the CPU defense is a lot better in this game, but there have to be a couple of plays in the game that are good for a gain whenever you want to use them.

THanks!
Old 06-02-02, 12:23 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about any money plays... but an important thing to do, I think, is to avoid being predictable. If he knows that you always do two runs, a pass, and then you have to punt, he'll tailor his defense to the offense he knows you're going to run. Mix it up with some play actions (a pass play which starts out looking like a run play), or some long pass plays when you've only got short yardage left and he's expecting a run. Try running some runs off the shotgun... he may see your shotgun formation and think "long pass play."
Old 06-02-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any run play that has the word SPRINT in it is a money run play,if you want money passes try out 5 WR formations someone will always be open,for Defence stick with 4-3 its great against the run and pass,another thing on O try to use the clock to your advantage,burn the clock,the less time on the clock the less points your freind can score on you and the less time your D is out there on the field,dont go for 4th down and 2 when the ball is on your 15 yard line,punt that $hit and play smart,it should give you a few wins,cant wait for this to go online so I give out some spankings.
Old 06-02-02, 05:18 PM
Cool New Member

If you know how to use audibles well, you can nail down some big plays. For example i have one of my auidibles set up for a Halfback swing pass. This play does wonders against nickel and dime defenses. It is also important to get good with using the juke move especially with plays like this b/c after you run for about 5 yards or so you'll need to dodge those defensive backs.

When i play with my friends and its a long third down situation i look to see what defense he sets up, if he sets up in a nickel or dime formation, the swing pass is money in the bank.
Old 06-02-02, 11:52 PM
Admin Emeritus

A halfback swing is where the halfback swings around to the outside of the offensive line and them goes upfield, right?
Old 06-02-02, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thanks for all the tips! Keep 'em coming! I could use help in stopping the run on defense as well. I've been practicing against the computer, but you all know that's nothing like a real person.
Old 06-03-02, 01:14 AM
Admin Emeritus

This could be totally off, but I'd think that, to stop the run, you'd want to put a lot of guys on your defensive line to plug any holes that a back could run through. 4-3, 5-2, and Goal Line sets should be good for this. However, the more people you put up front, the more you open yourself up to a long pass play. You could set up your audibles with a good run and a good pass defense so that, if you're in a run defense and see that he's going for the pass, you can switch defenses on the fly.

As far as stopping pitch plays, where the QB pitches it to the back and he runs out wide, I think any sort of defense in which your... crap, here is where my knowledge of football terms runs out... defensive back? (the guy covering his wide receivers) doesn't completely run straight back, but stays close to the line of scrimmage, would be good.
Old 06-03-02, 10:51 AM
Cat

I have a good friend that comes over about once a week and plays Madden or NCAA football and we have had some killer games. I beat him with trick plays and he beats me with relentless passing plays. It is hard for me to pick any money plays, but I usually favor long pass plays. It is so easy to run out of the pocket and wait for someone to come open. Nothing confuses him more then when I get halfway up the field with short pass plays and a run or two and then bomb it into the end zone. He expects me to just long bomb it every play, but I only do that when I have a serious advantage.

Cat
Old 06-03-02, 10:55 AM

An easy way out might be to use the new 'GoTo' guy feature, and pick one of the plays designed for them.

I know you can do that against the cpu, but not sure about 'vs' mode.
Old 06-04-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just like the real thing, learn the inside slant routes for your WRs. They're money most of the time for a first down.

I use a lot of 4-3 and nickel packages on defense. Bring the LBs up and play with a safety. This gives you some flex in the passing game and you can drop back into coverage or play run support. Of course, we all know that at some point in the game, it won't matter if you tackle the RB with all eleven players... There's a bullspit run or two in every game.

Also, don't be afraid to use your TE and on the flip side of that, always be prepared to defend the TE as he will sneak behind your LBs.
Old 06-05-02, 06:25 PM
Cool New Member

Ok, there is one play that works almost all the time with my friends. I can't repeat the word we use to describe the play, because a mod would edit it out of my post.

I can't remember what the play is called because I haven't played Madden in a while, but it's one of Marshall Faulk's (of the Rams) go-to plays. Its one where he starts either to the right or behind the QB, runs a little ways at a right diagnal, then straight downfield. Marshall runs fast and catches really well, so he's always a good target in the game, but this play in particular seems to work well.
Old 06-05-02, 06:30 PM

Originally posted by DVDHO
,cant wait for this to go online so I give out some spankings.

RIGHT ON!!
Old 06-06-02, 10:04 PM

In football,

If offense executes perfectly and defense executes perfectly, offense wins.

The game is won and lost in your execution. Diversify your play calling. Look at his defensive personnel on the team(s) he likes to use. Does he have good linebackers? Are his recievers speedy? What kind of an arm does his quarterback have?

The secret to beating anyone is stuying their playcalling tendencies. If you do the same thing over and over, he'll settle into a defense that can stop you. Do the unexpected. Throw a bomb on first and 10. But the person who said to master the slants is right... that key to winning. That and having speedy linebackers