Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: If you own an Xbox do you have Broadband (DSL, Cable, Ethernet, T1, etc) ?
Yes I own an Xbox and have some form of Broadband or will within a year
67.20%
I own an Xbox but don't have Broadband and probably never will in the foreseeable future
17.60%
I don't own an Xbox
15.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Poll for Xbox owners

Old 06-01-02, 04:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poll for Xbox owners

Old 06-01-02, 04:51 PM
Banned

I just like how this is a "Poll for Xbox owners" yet one of the options on the poll is, "I don't own an Xbox". Very nice
Old 06-01-02, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would hope to have broadband within a year, though I doubt I would use it much with the Xbox.
Old 06-01-02, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes I own Xbox, yes I have broadband, but don't plan to use it to online game.

(Thinks about Star Wars Galaxies) Well maybe.

Just got my S controller today and the Xbox is a whole new system now. Tony Hawk 2X is now worth playing.
Old 06-01-02, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I own an XBox and have had broadband for about 8 months now.
Old 06-02-02, 12:31 AM

xbox + halo + broadband + gamespy + tunnel = FUN
Old 06-02-02, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Where's the option for: "Will be getting an Xbox later on today and will one day hope a higher power makes broadband available in my area but not because I'll be using my Xbox with it but because I wanna download lots of pr0n onmy computer" ?

Old 06-03-02, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I live in Northern Virginia close to AOL, UUNet, Worldcom, At&T and I have no broadband and no prosepects of getting broadband.

Really sad.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 06-03-02 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-03-02, 07:51 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
The AT&T tech calls my hometown the pit of all hell when it comes to getting DSL, says I'd be lucky to have it in 2 years. Then I keep getting these mailers and junk from AT&T saying check with us monthly
Old 06-03-02, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I really think that Microsoft is overestimating the availability of broadband access. I live 15 minutes outside the 4th largest city in America and have nada, zero, zilch, NOTHING in the way of viable gaming quality broadband(direcPC and Sprint Broadband have too much latency for gaming). I live 4000' too far from my nearest junction for DSL, cable modem service has been promised for the last two years, but cable companies are always changing.

I was playing Soldier of Fortune 2 last night on my dial-up and was keeping up just fine with the low pingers finishing in the top five(out of about 12-15).

All I now is that Microsoft is in for a rude awakening when they launch Xbox live and don't see anywhere the amount of subscribers that they think they will get. I have to give some credit to Sony for including everyone in their plans.

Internet polls are somewhat skewed in favor since they are polling people who are ON the internet, I think real world numbers are quite the opposite.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 06-03-02 at 08:24 AM.
Old 06-03-02, 01:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

SmackDaddy, this isn't a poll for people who are ON the internet, this is a poll for people who have broadband Internet access. I would guess that 90% of Xbox owners are ON the internet.
Old 06-03-02, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by SmackDaddy

All I now is that Microsoft is in for a rude awakening when they launch Xbox live and don't see anywhere the amount of subscribers that they think they will get. I have to give some credit to Sony for including everyone in their plans.
I'm a casual gamer, and I'm signing up for XBox live for the following reasons:
1. It's only $50 for the first year, and it includes the headset. That's $4 a month...I can handle that. If i don't like it, I'll cancel my subscription.

2. Ease of use. From what i've been reading, all I'll have to do is pop my game in, and find my brother in law through it's 'buddy list', and proceed to kick his ass in Halo. I can also avoid playing 12 year old kids who like to swear all the time.

3. Running off their own servers. I like the comfort factor of knowing that i'm playing against other people that will have the same connection speed, and same customer service representatives to speak with if there's a problem. Too many variables involved in troubleshooting other modems/os's.

I may be wrong, but from the looks of it right now, I will gladly pluck down $50 for 1 year, even though i may only play 15-20 hours a month.
Old 06-03-02, 02:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by dglaser6

I'm a casual gamer, and I'm signing up for XBox live for the following reasons:
1. It's only $50 for the first year, and it includes the headset. That's $4 a month...I can handle that. If i don't like it, I'll cancel my subscription.

2. Ease of use. From what i've been reading, all I'll have to do is pop my game in, and find my brother in law through it's 'buddy list', and proceed to kick his ass in Halo. I can also avoid playing 12 year old kids who like to swear all the time.

3. Running off their own servers. I like the comfort factor of knowing that i'm playing against other people that will have the same connection speed, and same customer service representatives to speak with if there's a problem. Too many variables involved in troubleshooting other modems/os's.

I may be wrong, but from the looks of it right now, I will gladly pluck down $50 for 1 year, even though i may only play 15-20 hours a month.
Very well said, thanks for sharing that.

I used to play on Seganet until my free hours ran out. I had a clean city connection and played lagged a lot of the time. I couldn't see myself subscribing to that back then just of the slowness factor. I love the highbandwidth only idea.
Old 06-03-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I flat out hate playing video games with other people on-line.

I don't mind when they're in the same room, sitting next to me, so we can trash-talk (I'd still rather play by myself). But playing with people I don't know just doesn't interest me in the least.

I wouldn't even do it if it were free, so the idea of paying for it, for me, is just plain silly.
Old 06-03-02, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm with zerotl on this one I just got my box on friday, and have been using XBConnect and my broadband (cable) to play Halo and it rocks having up to 4 box's connected with up to 4 players each. My son and me had a blast playing some 4 on 4 CTF Blood Gulch games.

------------------------------
Got my GameCube, and X-box. Guess its a good thing it wasn't called a PS<SUP>2</SUP>.
Old 06-03-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I want to see some games where you can have 3 friends over, and play against other teams of friends. People are saying they want to play with people in the same room, but isn't this an option? I think it would be fun. I am aware you can do this with Halo, but I am too lazy to set it up. That's why I'm waiting for Xbox Live and Halo 2.
Old 06-04-02, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by slop101
I flat out hate playing video games with other people on-line.

I don't mind when they're in the same room, sitting next to me, so we can trash-talk (I'd still rather play by myself). But playing with people I don't know just doesn't interest me in the least.

I wouldn't even do it if it were free, so the idea of paying for it, for me, is just plain silly.
This is my problem. I never used the online abilities of the Dreamcast except to check out the Sega site and download a VMU game.

I prefer to have friends over and play together. I don't know anyone else that online games, so there is no way to play with friends. I tried online gaming with the PC a few times just to find that many people would gang up against you or just plain cheat altogether. Cheating on Phantasy Star was big due to the Game Shark devices and I'm sure cheat devices will be out for the Xbox eventually. Its just not worth the headache for me. I will see the set up they have when Star Wars Galaxies comes out and decide for sure.