Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Sum of All Fears

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-02, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sum of All Fears

IGN put up a review of this new game in the Tom Clancy series. It sounds pretty good to me. Here's the final analysis:

Presentation
A great synthesis of the features that have made the previous Clancy games so compelling. The movie tie-in could be stronger. 9.0

Graphics
Great character models as usual and some very natural environments. 8.5

Sound
Crank it up! The metallic report of the bullets in the warehouse takes your breath away. 9.5

Gameplay
Even in this watered down state, a Clancy game is a Clancy game -- loads of tension, lots of tactics and even a little variability. 8.5

Lasting Appeal
Eleven missions are over too soon but the multiplayer options are a nice supplement. 8.5

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 8.7

The review says it comes out Friday, the same day as the movie's release, and will sell for $30. I have 2 questions:
1) Is it out yet or does it really come out Friday?
2) $30 is a great price but will it be cheaper anywhere?

So...who's getting the game, who's read the book, and who's seeing the movie?

I'm getting the game ASAP, I loved the book, and I'm going to see the movie on Friday although I expect it to disappoint.
Old 05-29-02, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have Redstorm ever explained why they never show your weapon model on screen? It's always irritated me, especially when they obviously have such great 3D artists. It just feels more exciting when you can see your weapon..
Old 05-30-02, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know, I never really noticed that until you mentioned it. I've played every single game in the Tom Clancy/Rainbow Six series too. I think it might have to do with the info you're given at the bottom of the screen though. If you check out a pic of the game (see IGN's preview) you can see that the threat indicator is right where the gun should be.
Old 05-30-02, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ipkevin
Have Redstorm ever explained why they never show your weapon model on screen? It's always irritated me, especially when they obviously have such great 3D artists. It just feels more exciting when you can see your weapon..
From the looks of it, the new Rainbow game, Raven Shield, is going to have modeled weapons-in-hand, as well as iron-sight targeting (like op flashpoint) -- That is, if the screenshots are true 1st person shots.

Re: Sum of All Fears. Usually I would cringe and flinch at buying or playing a game with a movie tie-in -- historically pretty awful (play the new Die Hard yet?). But this is (a) a clancy shooter and (b) uses the ghost recon engine (not being revisited in Raven Shield, by the way). Even though the mechanics seem a little watered down, and there's only 11 missions, it sounds like a good fix for a bit of tactical shooting. At least they're not retailing it at $50.
Old 05-30-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked it up. The guy at EB said he had just gotten it in today.