Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The good old days of WHFS radio....

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The good old days of WHFS radio....

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-02, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eminem? Anyone else remember when WHFS was a small progressive radio station broadcasting from near Annapolis? Things have really changed since the mid- to late-80s. Fortunately, much that once made HFS a great station can now be found at WRNR.
Old 05-28-02, 02:11 PM

I remember

they actually played songs that I could stand to listen to, and since it was out of annapolis, I thought for a time baltimore, it was really hard to pick up in NOVA. hfs is nothing more than a high school jock pop radio station. Its a shame that it changed, I remember that they use to have good dj's too that weren't annoying. The only thing left that is good on hfs is now here this and I think thats on later sunday night, not a prime listening time for myself but some times i catch it and love it. I think they base their play list on TRL and take out the overtly non fitting music. What station is WRNR by the way.
Old 05-28-02, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wrnr is 103.1 in anapolis.

good luck getting it if you live above baltimore city.
Old 05-28-02, 03:31 PM

Bizarre. I've never commandeered a thread like this before. This used to be about the 'HFStival. But anyway . . .

If I recall correctly, WHFS was started by Damian Einstein and his brother (David, I think) to bring variety to FM. They actively supported singer/songwriters like Jackson Browne, Springsteen, Bonnie Raitt, Little Feat, Bob Marley, Michael Hedges, etc. By the time I began listening to it in the mid-80s, they had shifted slightly to include what might be called "college radio" acts: I remember hearing Husker Du, The Smithereens, Bauhaus, the B-52s, The Cure, The Smiths, etc. there for the first time. When I left Annapolis in '92, HFS had pretty well completed its transition to corporate "alternative" music, and, as I recall, fired Damian because of his speech impediment (David was already long gone).

Damian can now be heard every weeknight on WRNR, a station he started six or seven years ago that retains the vision of the original WHFS. Whenever I drive back to Annapolis, I tune to 'RNR as soon as I get off the beltway onto I-50. Find out more (and listen online) at:

http://www.wrnr.com
Old 05-28-02, 04:21 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I used to listen to them, when they cancelled "Now Hear This" with Dave Marsch that's when I stopped listening altogether. Their banter is so immature and not funny "huge F'ing sweep" (please, grow up). I heard that actually MTV owns them or something like that.
Old 05-28-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Giles
I used to listen to them, when they cancelled "Now Hear This" with Dave Marsch that's when I stopped listening altogether. Their banter is so immature and not funny "huge F'ing sweep" (please, grow up). I heard that actually MTV owns them or something like that.
I agree. I listen every once in a while but they are very annoying.
Old 05-28-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
plus one of the dj's tried to hype his very own boyband playing on stage 2 at hfstivle. very lame, but aparently around 60,000 people enjoy this station since this is aproximatly how many people went.
Old 05-28-02, 05:02 PM

I do have to give them credit though, they do help the DC/Baltimore dance scene, the dance tent this year did feature DC's own Deep Dish and Timo Maas.
Old 05-29-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
This station has been crap for like the past 7 or so years. It's the same repetitive b.s. playlist over and over again. And if you don't like Linkin Park or bands that sound like them, don't tune in. It's all they play. Remember when people used to actually sing? I'm not saying there is anything wrong with bands like Linkin Park, but how about a little variety? Not everyone is 16-25. And I don't know about now, but HFS *used* to have listeners in their late 20's and up. I doubt that's true these days. I know I certainly don't listen to them anymore. They truly were a great radio station all through the 80's (when I first started listening) up until circa 1995. It's very sad what has happened to them. And I love the way they "sponser" certain concerts that come through town. You see their booths set up giving away their crap. When they don't even support of play these bands. Unbelievable.
Old 05-30-02, 07:59 AM

From having been on their website and chat room one of the DJ admitted to being a slave to the playlist. I guess there is very little room even for the DJ's to play a different unique band that they may personally might like, but that the big whigs wont let them play.
Old 05-30-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Giles
From having been on their website and chat room one of the DJ admitted to being a slave to the playlist. I guess there is very little room even for the DJ's to play a different unique band that they may personally might like, but that the big whigs wont let them play.
My rommate used to be in a band with the old morning show producer at 99.1. Some of the old DJ's would be around my apartment a lot and I would always get on them about their playlist. They would always say the same thing about not being able to play what they want. They had to stick to their playlist. Unfourtantely at that time it was Alanis Morrisette 10 times during the work day.
Old 05-30-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sad, but I guess things change. I was living in Annapolis from '83 to '85 and WHFS was incredible back then. I have fond memories of that station...hearing Damien was a trip since his speech was a bit off-kilter to say the least.
Old 05-31-02, 01:02 PM
Banned

I hardly ever listen the WHFS anymore. I knew there had to be aa reason why.