Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

need quirky Ps2 games reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-02, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need quirky Ps2 games reccomendations

I am looking for games that just scream out "Japan!!!" I love this types of games and I just got a Ps2. Thank you.
Old 05-27-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm. the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Mr. Mosquito. You actually control a mosquito. Very bizarre indeed. There's a bunch of others but I'm at a loss right now. I'll post some more as I think of them.
Old 05-27-02, 12:50 AM
Banned

This was the first game I could think of...

The Adventures of Cookies and Cream
Old 05-27-02, 01:36 AM

Some others:

- Mad Maestro
- Gitaroo Man
- Okage: Shadow King (art style is like Nightmare Before Xmas, Japanese seem to really like it for some reason)
Old 05-27-02, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mad Maestro is pretty fun and Okage is really quirky... the humor is just priceless. I also own Mr. Mosquito which I would have to recommend a rental first, it was alright but not sure I'd have bought it. Might rent Mad Maestro as well, I can see that not appealling to mass audiences. But Okage, get that one If you can find it, it's also one of the 50% titles at KB and I believe it's only like 11.50 if you can find a store with it.

I realize I just said titles already said, but I wanted to second them cuz they defenitely are quirky and are really the only ones I can think of as well.

~Scheherazade
Old 05-27-02, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah Mr. Mosquito is very japanese, but its really short, around 3 hours I think, its a great rent.

Gitaroo-Man is awesome!! I picked it up recently, the music is excellent and the localization is very well done yet still retains its japanese quirkiness. The play starts out simple but soon becomes really frantic in the later stages, I highly reccomend this one!!

Mad Maestro looks pretty cool too, unfortunately I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I'm trying to track it down right now.

The adventures of cookies and cream is a blast but the game almost requires you to have 2 people to play it at the same time, its extremely difficult with one player .

Also if you don't mind PS1 games, you should try out Incredible Crisis it is incredibly japanese, its a miracle that game ever crossed the shores but its pretty cool.

I know there are a few others but I'll have to check.
Old 06-04-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, bought Mad Maestro for $19.99 at CC. Awesome game. Next week I am getting Gitaroo man.
Old 06-05-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't believe I paid $49 for Mad Maestro mere weeks ago :shake fist:

~Scheherazade
Old 08-15-02, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright to update this post. I have bought a lot of games so far and here is the list:
mof frontline, gta3, dynasty warriors 2, kessen 1 and 2, romance of the 3 kingdoms 7, frequency, gitaroo-man, mad maestro, ffX, devil may cry, tm: black, okage, VF4, ICO, Onimusha, and State of Emergency.
next on the list:
parappa 2, mister mosquito, dynasty warriors 3, adventures of cookies and cream, super bust a move, and kingdom hearts.

Anything else I should add acording to my so far tastes.
Old 08-15-02, 07:00 AM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

ChrisKnudsen: Only get Parappa 2 if it is cheap, you should be able to beat it in under an hour. Super Busta Move is great I love it, try and find the PS1 game Incredible Crisis, you WILL NOT be dissapointed, it is the best "Japan" game that was localized IMO
Old 08-15-02, 08:42 PM
Banned

I paid $19.99 for Mad Maestro as well at dvdempire.com

I highly suggest aqua aqua.
Old 08-15-02, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I have Mr. Mosquito and I like it - it's short though and the last levels get damn near impossible.

I also have Fatal Frame which isn't quite so quirky, but it's fairly Japanese for a survival horror game. Very interesting take on the genre since you use a camera as your only weapon.
Old 08-16-02, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was thinking about Fatal Frame but I am waiting for it to hit $20 before I buy. I am adding Incredible Crisis to the list of games to get. I see Aqua Aqua for cheap so I might pick up also. Anyone hear anything about Fresh's new lineup? I want to play a dating sim without learning another language like Shine or something from the Tokimeki Memoral series.

I am actually considering the Britney game and buying two pads. I think it would be funny for someone in my taste in indie rock music has the Britney game. Also, it could be an ultimate corny party game. How does it rate to the Dance Dance Revolution series? I use to have the Spice Girls game because I loved the original Parappa so much and needed more music games but I wish they would make a dancing game with stuff from Moby's early trancy career or Kid Kola or even early 90's dance like Real McCoy or something you would see in the Pulse ads. I also thought about that cel-shaded skateboard game from Koei named Yunna or something like that but it is getting horrible reviews but I like the little skateboard thing you add to your controller which could be neat.

Rez is also highly recc. so that is added to the list but another one I can wait on until a price reduction.
Old 08-16-02, 10:15 AM
mvc

Another nod to The Adventures of Cookies and Cream.
This is the game I play the most with my friends. Its just a complete blast play with friends. I picked it up in the used game section and it has been my most worthwhile PS2 purchase.
Old 08-16-02, 12:26 PM

I've said it in other threads and I'll say it again. The Adventures of Cookie & Cream is the underapreciated gem of the PS2. Get your copy now. It is the perfect antidote to hours of MGS2, FFIX, and Madden.

Plus, it could be the only game I can consistantly convince my wife to play along with me.
Old 08-29-02, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ordered Mister Mosquito. Should be in the may anyday now. I see Fatal Frame for about $25 on ebay. Might order.
Old 09-25-02, 02:40 AM

I know this thread has been dormant for three weeks, but I was in a Costco this weekend and saw:

Mad Maestro - $18.50
Mr. Mosquito - $18.50
Parappa the Rapper (PS1) - $13.50

I thought that Parappa 1 was long out of print, but this proved me wrong.

If I am a fan of Parappa and Um Jammer Lammy, will I enjoy Mad Maestro? I was very tempted.

On a side note, Costco had TONS of PS2 games for $18.50 or less. Mostly GH titles, but lots of others as well.
Old 09-25-02, 10:25 AM

Definitely go for Incredible Crisis. It is a wacky game that has a definite Japanese flair to it. Also it will only set you back 10 dollars.
Old 09-25-02, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by mrlumpy
I've said it in other threads and I'll say it again. The Adventures of Cookie & Cream is the underapreciated gem of the PS2. Get your copy now. It is the perfect antidote to hours of MGS2, FFIX, and Madden.

Plus, it could be the only game I can consistantly convince my wife to play along with me.
It's the funniest thing, I bought this game so that me and my wife could play together, but she won't touch it. She loves japanese cartoons(pokemon, digimon, DBZ), enjoyed FFX and has been bugging me to get Kingdom Hearts but just has never been interested in Cookies and Cream. She has watched me and my nephew play, but always becomes standoffish.

"Why do the rabbits or whatever they are have to go to the other side?" she says.

Arrrgh.