Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Abre Los Ojos Vs Vanilla Sky

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-02, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did a search found a topic for each but none that dealt with them together, i am curious as to which is better to own or rent.

i'm wondering what the strengths and weakness are of both versions so i can make an educated purchase (if either one is even worth a purchase.)

thanks.
Old 05-27-02, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why not rent both and make up your own mind?
Old 05-27-02, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Abre Los Ojos is definitely worth a purchase... I would say Vanilla Sky is as well but only because I want to do side by side comparisons of the films.
Old 05-27-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by audrey
Why not rent both and make up your own mind?
true, but then that can be said for every thread in this section of the forum. renting both would set me back 8/9$ which is nearly the cost of Abre Los Ojos, but then why buy that when Vanilla Sky is better? just looking for others opinions so i can make up my own mind. and looking for such ideas as if wanted to see both, would i be better offer watching one before the other etc.
Old 05-27-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...no contest... "Vanilla Sky" is - of course!!! - the better movie, by far... for one thing: it's made-in-usa ...for another: it's in english (no need to decipher those pesky subtitles)... for a third: it stars tom cruise - the spanish original "stars" people nobody but spaniards ever heard of - except, of course, for ms. cruz (hottie of the week) who stars in both... also, the "VS" dvd is anamorphic widescreen and has dd 5.1 sound - not sure if the dvd of "Open Your Eyes" offers both... and there's tom cruise... and ms. cruz... together... in one movie... like i say: no contest!

(signed) Passing Cynic

. . . . . .
Old 05-27-02, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Both are just average flicks........
Old 05-28-02, 12:02 PM

both are pretty much the same in my opinion (crappy). cruz takes her top off in the original, though......
Old 05-28-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
She does as well in the latter.
Old 05-28-02, 03:39 PM
Max

I was thoroughly disappointed with Vanilla Sky w/Tom Cruise-nothing what I expected and it just got more bizarre and lame as it went along. Don't get me wrong I like the real avant garde stuff but I think this really fell flat surprisingly from Crowe who did a great job with Almost Famous....oh well, to each his own.
Old 05-28-02, 08:40 PM

I love Sky as well as Crowe's other films but have no interest in Abres Los Ojos.It sounds boring and lame.
Old 05-28-02, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked Open Your Eyes and thought it was a much better film than Vanilla Sky. I went to see Vanilla Sky mainly as a curiosity with a free ticket I had. I didn't think it was a very good remake at all. It had nice visual sequences and effects, but somehow the story deteriorated. In Open Your Eyes, the mystery came to light much more subtly and more effectively. In Vanilla Sky, the clues kept hammering you over and over and over and it was really damn annoying. Maybe part of my reaction to this is because I saw Open Your Eyes first and knew the twist when I saw Vanilla Sky, but the hints were still overkill.
Old 05-29-02, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I liked 'em both.
Old 05-29-02, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by bluntman86
I love Sky as well as Crowe's other films but have no interest in Abres Los Ojos.It sounds boring and lame.

They're the same movie. Vanilla Sky just has the "hints for idiots" portion at the end.......
Old 05-30-02, 02:38 AM

Max, I agree with you, very disappointing. I told my wife before we watched it that I had never seen a Tom Cruise movie that I didn't like. Well, now I have and I'm not happy about it. I REALLY expected more from the way-too-diverse Crowe. I did enjoy his many musical and "people need to read" references. And Jason Lee always comes thru.
Old 05-30-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed both, but would have to give Vanilla Sky the nod for the music & for the visuals at the end of the film. They both pretty much follow the same story line though.
Old 05-31-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Abre Los Ojos
Vanilla Sky