Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I missing something about the price drops?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-02, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While looking thru the Sunday ads today, I noticed that stores had the PS2 listed for $299.99, the GameCube at $199.99 and the X-Box at $199.99. Best Buy's ad had the prices like this. Is this price drop not permanent? (with the exception of the x-box which is where it is sapose to be).
Old 05-26-02, 06:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sony and Nintendo jumped onto the price drop at the last second while Xbox planned and communicated theirs very well. Methinks Sony's last second price drop backfired and now who's caught with their pants down?
Old 05-26-02, 06:56 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Sony and Nintendo jumped onto the price drop at the last second while Xbox planned and communicated theirs very well. Methinks Sony's last second price drop backfired and now who's caught with their pants down?
Old 05-26-02, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Those ads are designed and printed up several weeks in advance. It was no secret that Microsoft was going to drop the price to $199.99. Sony jumped the gun and dropped their price first, undercutting Microsoft with their planned drop. That's why the ads are goofy.
Old 05-26-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
the bottomline is that all the stores in spite of ads are selling the PS2 and XBox for $199 and the Gamecube for $149.

enjoy the savings
Old 05-26-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No the Sony price-drop hasn't backfired from what I can see. We can't keep PS2s in but we haven't sold hardly any of the others. Since all the price drops we've sold 6 PS2s (and had people willing to buy 3 times that but we ran out), 5 PSOnes, 2 X-Boxes, and 0 Gamecubes. We still have like 12 X-Boxes and 7 Gamecubes but we can't keep the PS2 on the shelves.

Sounds like to me that Sony is giving all the other systems a whippin, heck even the PSOne is outselling them at least in my store. And apparently you can't find a PS2 anywhere, people aren't running in to make sure we have Gamecubes and X-boxes left.

If anyone was caught with their pants down it was Microsoft who had planned their pricedrop but Sony got the jump on them and they then had to rush and do the drop the next day instead of a week or so later as planned. Nintendo seems to have waited that week that Microsoft was going to wait, and that may've hurt them as well.

~Scheherazade
Old 05-27-02, 04:24 PM
Banned

At my local stores, I got the word:

EB - The guy said alot of people returning their PS2's for XBOX's. He was doing the same tomorrow. I was there to buy Halo and Munch's Odyseey. I think PS2/Xbox were still both selling well.

Best Buy - Tons of XBox's and TONS of PS2's... About 20-30 of each. Saw one mom pick up an XBOX and one DAd picking up a PS2. (maybe not moms and dads, but they were 40+)

I asked at Gamestop how they were selling, they said XBox's a bit better, but both good.

-Jim