Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do you like Eminem?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Why do you like Eminem?

Old 05-26-02, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why do you like Eminem?

I'm not trying to start some nasty comments and I'm certainly not trolling. I'm serious. I noticed many different user names on the latest Eminem thread and I'm really fascinated why people like this guy and his music. Do you like it in the same way I enjoyed the first Beastie Boys Cd (it's just funny)? Do you think he actually has something to say? Do you like it because all your friends do?

Personally, as a non-fan, I kind of laugh every time I see him on TV or in print. Not a "ha-ha" I get it laugh, but a bemused "what tha?". There will always be rebellious music to tick off parents... and I'm certainly old enough to have kids who might want to hear this stuff (don't yet). But I look at this guy as someone who really thinks he's cool, but comes across as clueless IMO.
Sort of in the way Vanilla Ice looked. (yeah, I know that Eminem is a better rapper). I really don't hate rap music. I like it less each year, but do sometimes listen to Grits, De La Soul or something more melodic like P.M. Dawn. I think what gets to me more than anything is the bravado in rap music. Drives me insane.

Anyway, why are you a fan? (oh, and is anyone on here post-30 into his music?)
Old 05-26-02, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Basically for me it is his lyirics and his flow. I love the way he raps and where he is coming from. He has some of the best lyrics in the business and I think one of the best flows. He has skills and comparing him to Vanilla Ice is horrid. Eminem raps about real things. He has the straight up bangers then he flips it to serious stuff.

On this last album I think he did change alot from Marshall Mathers to The Eminem Show...

Check out

Sing for the Moment
Cleaning out the Closet
Till I Collapse

Stuff i don't think you will be disappointed in.
Old 05-26-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
I like him because he's straightforward. His rhymes are hard, loud and in your face. He's not hiding behind multiple levels of overdubs and guest stars that turn the whole production into mush, and he conveys actual, albiet twisted, thoughts. He's also not wrapped up in hip-hop culture, and doesn't spend half the album giving shoutouts and talking about how he is E to tha Izzo or some such nonsense.

He's also theatrical, which makes it a lot more entertaining. If ICP are a bad, grade-Z horror movie, Eminem is a John Carpenter movie.

(and I'm post 30, although I still don't feel like it, except when I listen to pop stations)
Old 05-26-02, 12:06 PM

His actual rhyming and lyrics may flow, but I think his voice is a bit annoying. He has grown on me over time, but I can't get past the annoying nasal voice. I do agree abous his lyrics being different, and they are minus a lot of BS we are subjected to with rappers who supposedly "keep it real." I mean, does anyone make an album alone anymore? Guest stars seem to be the norm, but maybe they have them because their talent doesn't stand strong enough alone. The genre is getting tired, and it is interesting to see someone like Eminem change things a bit.

BTW, I am over 30 as well.
Old 05-26-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like Em because of his words. He is mean spirited, funny, and might have psychological problems but he is an extraordinary talent. He knows society will always think of him as white trash in FUBUs but does not care. I am also over 30 and think far and away he is one of the biggest talents in music. His first album was a plea to society to like him. His second album shows he has not dealt with fame in the healthiest of ways, and I can just imagine what this latest would be.
Old 05-26-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well for one its DR.DRE the best producer in the rap game,his beats are the best you will ever hear,hes been in the game since old school NWA in 1989,DR.DRE could put anyone on his albums or produce and make it great just because of him,he is the main reason why rap is where it is today especailly on the West Coast.

Now for EM,when have you heard a white guy rap like he does?Another reason is because he lived near me in Detroit and I know what he went through as a kid in the mean streets of 7&8 mile road(detroit),if you walked down these streets you would see everything he raps about within minutes,his talent is on a hole nother level,he raps better then about 99% of the black rapers out there today,he doesnt rap about how rich he is,he doesnt rap about how many women he can get,he talks about the things he goes trhough like divorce,his mom,his childhood,his drug habbits and so much more,IMO hes the 3rd best rapper ever next to Pac and Biggie.

Now why dont you give this guy a chance its worth it,he has alot to say about the media,gov.,world issues and even though there said in a diffrent way there almost always true,and the main reason I listen to rap is because of the beats,lyrics are iceing on the cake.
Old 05-26-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love him for many reasons. First his flow and lyricism are amazing. And if you dont listen to hip hop much than you cant understand it. What most of the people who hate rap or eminem in general dont understand is that hip hop is a lifestyle, its a culture. Its not just something next to you at that stop light pissing you off becasue its too loud. And the thing about eminem is that he embodies this culture. just like in the 80's he struggled to make his way even though racially he didnt fit in, even though today hip hop is more accepted. as far as his shock value, i dont care about that, the reason he says half the things he does is because people react to it and give him so much attention for it. dont like it, dont listen, simple as that.
Old 05-26-02, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for responding. I was very suprised to read there are post-30-year-olds into him. I guess this is just a culture I'm not fond of, but I appreciate your responses.
Old 05-26-02, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only thing I really like about him is the humor aspect. I didn't like too much of the new stuff, because it was mostly hardcore rap, instead of making fun of stuff (except the song that was released, that was funny)
Old 05-26-02, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

His lyrics are different from the everyday "What's My Name?" rap/hip hop music that is out there today. He isn't bragging about how much $$ he has, but rather how he feels about subjects. He can dis a person in a very rhytmic way. I wish he would dis J-Ho.
Old 05-27-02, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eminem's sophomoric humor hiding behind the veil of thin satire quickly gets tiresome, and his anger often gets too disturbing for my tastes (eg I will probably never listen to "Kim" again), but he certainly does have skills. He is a gifted lyricist in an era when rappers think ending two lines in a row with "thang" is original or interesting, and he does have a mastery of rhythmic flow. Not saying that he's one of the best, but he's certainly one of the better ones.

I especially like the track "Hailie's Song" from The Eminem Show. While Eminem is unsually self-deprecating and playing down his singing ability, I thought he did an excellent job, and it's an anthesis to all the antisocial misanthropy that plagues the rest of Eminem's work.
Old 05-27-02, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
he's really good at what he does, and he makes fun of himself.
Old 05-27-02, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since Eminem's first album was released, I've always thought that he had talent. His first album was pretty good IMO, the second one was a definite improvement over the first, but his new album completely and totally blew my mind! I'm not that fond of Eminem as a person, but his raps are tight and his flows are unbelieveable. The beats on The Eminem Show are absolutely amazing, as is the ongoing message throughout the lyrics.
Old 05-27-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I kind of like him because he doesn't take himself that seriously like most other crappers do. I also think he's alot smarter than the rest of the rap community.....he's a more intelligent person than most others.
Old 05-27-02, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just like him because he's insanely talented as a rapper. His lyrics are incredible and he flows so smooth and can change up the tempo of a song at any time.

Is he sometimes a jackazz? yes should he think twice before saying something extremely offensive? yes

I totally understand why some people just plain hate the guy.

He caught a break by hooking up with Dre and he's been capitalizing on it. And Dr. Dre caught a break by finding him because Em basically resurrected Dre's career.

I love Dre but he couldn't stay with Snoop because Snoop got lazy (ie. releasing too many songs and not quality tracks).

The Eminem Show is terrific......it's just him talking about himself. maybe too much.

but that's what rap is for the most part.

Eminem produced almost all of EMINEM SHOW himself which is really impressive in my opinion. Dr. Dre only did like two tracks or something.

There are very few guest artists on the album instead of like most records where 60 or 70 percent of the songs have other people on them.

Marshall Mathers just gets better as he goes along.
Old 05-27-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That Slim Anus song cracks me up every time.

I think I'll wait to hear more, before I buy this one. D-12 didn't impress me much.
Old 05-27-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like Eminem's flow and creativity on the mic. He tells it just how it is and holds nothing back. One minute I'm knodding my head with the beat and the next I'm laughing at a rhyme....

He's so creative and all 3 albums IMO are top quality. >>> A lot of rappers just throw their music together to get the cd out ASAP. Em on the other hand puts time and thoughts into his rhymes making him one of the top rappers IMO!

Cleaning out my closet & Hallie's song are the two that come to mind when it comes to Em putting his personal life on disc.

I even notice on the album where there are other rappers w/ Em, they just can't flow like Eminem does. Anyone else notice this?
Old 05-27-02, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by LX98Civic
I even notice on the album where there are other rappers w/ Em, they just can't flow like Eminem does. Anyone else notice this?
If they could, then Eminem's style wouldn't really be that impressive anymore, now would it?
Old 05-27-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Dayewalker

If they could, then Eminem's style wouldn't really be that impressive anymore, now would it?
That's right! Ever since Em's first album I thought: It would be hilarious to see a black guy go into country and out perform Garth Brooks and all the other country artists I don't know who the big country strars are. Brooks is the one who comes to mind.

Even if Em gave them some crafty lyrics of his own, it wouldn't be the same w/o slim speaking them
Old 05-27-02, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lyrical content mainly and his flow are great. He's about the only rap I ever listen to, and his first two CDs, and soon the new one, are the only rap CDs I've bought in 5 or 6 years (I do have the Lauryn Hill though, but that's a little different).

Most rap, I just can't stand... that Ja Rule being all over the place lately really gets to me as I can't stand his voice, his style, his content, or really anything about him... the only rappers out there right now that I actually like are probably Em, Snoop, and Outkast.
Old 05-27-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The lyrics do it for me. His wordplay and flow structure is incredible. I really wish rap went back to its roots and battles would come back, not the ego battles like Jay-Z/Nas but the ol' school my flow is better than yours like KRS-1/MC Shan.
Plus "Stan" is one of the best songs in any genre I have ever heard.
Old 06-24-02, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
He's the BEST RAP ARTIST since 2PAC SHAKUR (MAKAVELI the DON)....PERIOD
Old 06-24-02, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally posted by gerrythedon
He's the BEST RAP ARTIST since 2PAC SHAKUR (MAKAVELI the DON)....PERIOD
I completely agree!
Old 06-24-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 210 Likes on 183 Posts
2PAC SHAKUR
TUPAC SHAKUR
MAKAVELI the DON
#1 PERIOD.
Old 06-24-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gerrythedon
2PAC SHAKUR
TUPAC SHAKUR
MAKAVELI the DON
#1 PERIOD.
Thats an opinion, personally I enjoy biggie more, and it isn't east coast/west coast thing I am from MN

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.