Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What system(s) have you bought since the price drops and WHY?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: What system(s) have you bought since the price drops and WHY?
Gamecube
31.15%
Playstation 2
21.31%
X-box
40.98%
Playstation 2 and Gamecube
0%
Playstation 2 and X-box
1.64%
Gamecube and X-box
3.28%
Playstation 2, X-box and Gamecube
1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-24-02, 09:31 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's been several "I've bought this system" or "What system should I get?" threads since the price drops, and I thought this would be a good way to consolidate the discussion.

I picked up a PS2 today. I'd been waiting for a price drop, and after finding no killer PS2 bargains online, I hauled my Dreamcast and some games off to Babbages and picked up a PS2, along with Gran Turismo 3 and Maximo.

Why? The PS2 has the best game library out there. GT3 and Maximo are great, and there are several other games I plan on picking up sometime in the future like MGS2, GTA3, Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cry, Virtua Fighter 4 etc.

I considered getting an X-box briefly (waiting until the start of E3 to see if there were any big announcements), but there just aren't enough games out or announced that interest me to entice me to get it instead of a PS2.

This should be my final hardware purchase of this generation as owning a Gamecube, PS2 and Game Boy Advance will allow me to play almost everything that interests me.
Old 05-24-02, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS2.

My Xbox is great, but is almost totally lacking in the RPG and rhythm game department. So, once the price dropped, I got a PS2 because it has quite a few of those games.

I kind of half-want a Gamecube. Most of the exclusives do nothing for me, but there are a few things I'm interested in (Super Monkey Ball, Mario, Pikmin). Unless the price drops further, I don't really see a cube in my future.
Old 05-24-02, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joshhinkle
I considered getting an X-box briefly
Add in Flays thread and by my calculations we are now aproximately halfway to the freezing point in hell.

Come on, do it. Chicks dig the box. All the cool kids are doing it. Itll make you feel good.
Old 05-24-02, 10:21 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by joltaddict

Add in Flays thread and by my calculations we are now aproximately halfway to the freezing point in hell.
Yep, Lucifer ordered a lovely winter coat from Eddie Bauer after I ordered my Gamecube.

He's just waiting for Josh to buy an XBox before he has to put it on.
Old 05-24-02, 11:46 PM
Banned

I picked up an XBOX.

Have been debating whether to get an XBOX or Gamecube for a while, and when the prices dropped, I knew I couldn't hold out much longer.

E3 this week kind of sealed the deal for me with an XBOX:

-XBox Live
-Ninja Gaiden
-DOA Extreme Volleyball
-Panzer Dragoon Orta
-Crazy Taxi 3
-Toe Jam and Earl 3
-Soul Caliber 2 (though I guess later than PS2?)
-Shenmue 2

Mostly the upcoming SEGA games, and glad to see Team Ninja pushing with the XBOX hard (Ninja Gaiden, DOA variants, etc)

Also, the XBOX just oozes techy coolness! its big, black, and has tons of cool hi-tech stuff already in it! I am a dork I know.

Still want a Cube though, but will do without...
(unless a NiGHTS came is announced for it!)

-Jim
Old 05-25-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by YujiNaka
Mostly the upcoming SEGA games, and glad to see Team Ninja pushing with the XBOX hard (Ninja Gaiden, DOA variants, etc)
DOA is a Tecmo franchise.
Old 05-25-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by joltaddict
DOA is a Tecmo franchise.
Yes, and Team Ninja is Tecmo's development team.

I picked up an XBox because of my disappointment with the GC (which I'll probably keep), and I wonder why I didn't get one last year.

Last edited by Drexl; 05-25-02 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-25-02, 04:15 PM
Banned

Got a cube today.

It was between that and the XBOX mainly. XBOX just has too many of those geeky Microsoft games....not into those. You know Nintendo always makes the best first-party games....and with a lot of 3rd party backup this time around, I was in.

The $149 price didn't hurt either. I'm looking forward to the future with this one even if there isn't that much right now.
Old 05-25-02, 05:15 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mike_AA
The $149 price didn't hurt either. I'm looking forward to the future with this one even if there isn't that much right now.
Super Smash Brothers Melee
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Luigi's Mansion
Wave Race Blue
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Resident Evil
Pikmin
Madden
NBA 2K2
Allstar Baseball
Super Monkey Ball
Soccer Slam
Sonic Adventure 2
Probably loads more of great titles that I forgot...

I think that people (not directed at you) tend to confuse quantity with quality. Sure the GC has the least games of any system, but if an average was taken from the great games that exist within the number of available titles, I think the GC has the most to offer already. Maybe the games just don't float certain people's boat though... but Nintendo should not be condemned for their lack of games at the moment, without mention of the quality level of the games available. Anyway, welcome to the GC club...
Old 05-25-02, 06:22 PM
Banned

Originally posted by IIG

Super Smash Brothers Melee
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
Luigi's Mansion
Wave Race Blue
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Resident Evil
Pikmin
Madden
NBA 2K2
Allstar Baseball
Super Monkey Ball
Soccer Slam
Sonic Adventure 2
Probably loads more of great titles that I forgot...
Well IIG, maybe you can reassure my splurge purchase today. I just felt like buying it today, rented NBA 2K2 and so far am dissapointed. I thought it'd be a huge improvement over the DC version, but it's just ehhh. NBA2K3 should be amazing. But let's be serious, I've had this system for 4 hours and played one game

Smash Bros Melee (the N64 one is one of my all-time favorites) doesn't excite me when I play it. It's impossible to keep control (controller has been pretty hard to get used to), but I have heard there is a TON to do in this game. I hope this is true.

As for the other ones, I've either played them on the DC and PS2 to death (SA2, THPS3, Madden) or I have no desire at all.

So for now, I have NBA 2K2 rented and then I have just the system. I think I'm going to buy NBA Street cheap somewhere, and MAYBE Smash Bros Melee. I want to, but I also don't want to waste $50.

Last question...what are some good CUBE sites?? I'm talking fan sites, not the IGN/Gamespot stuff.
Old 05-25-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I already had PS2, Gamecube and XBOX before 2002. I have gotten a few XBOX games since the price drops though.
Old 05-25-02, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got a Gamecube. I can't say no to Nintendo.
Old 05-25-02, 07:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ScandalUMD
I got a Gamecube. I can't say no to Nintendo.
Yeah that was my theory. I don't know what it is (probably quality) but Nintendo always comes through, even if they have a couple off years here and there. I support and trust them with the Cube.
Old 05-25-02, 08:44 PM

I got an XBOX after the price drop.

I traded in my Dreamcast and everything I had with it, and ended up paying less than $50 bucks for it new.

Since my DC was collecting dust and already had a PS2, XBOX and future online sports gaming was my main reason for picking it up.

I consider it a great buy. -I'm loving it so far with Halo, WSB, and Moto GP. -XBox really takes advantage of my 5.1 home theater. Which is another reason why I love the xbox, the sound is dolby digital baby.
Old 05-25-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
NONE.

I'd already bought my PS2, and a modded cube before the drops. Cube doesn't interest me, all I really wanted was HALO, and I'll pick that up for PC when it comes out.

-k
###
Old 05-25-02, 11:50 PM
Banned

I'll be picking up a x-box once I get a job and get around to actually saving it up. I will pick up Jet Set Radio Future & another game to go along with it.

I already own a ps2 & gc.
Old 05-26-02, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gamecube.
Already have a PS2 and love it but the cube has some cool games out now(Resident Evil and Rogue Leader to name a pair) as well as some killer ones coming out soon(Eternal Darkness, Metroid, Zelda etc). That along with the pricetag of 150 sold me on it. I'll still probably use my PS2 more but the cube will get me all of those great exclusive nintendo and third party titles. I was considering the XBox too but after seeing the E3 lineup, I decided against it. No games that really compel me. Alot of the lineup is similar to the PS2. Also, there aren't many released xbox games that interest me. The only one I could think of was Max Payne or Halo(I am borrowing my brother's xbox for a few weeks and I rented and finished Halo). I can always play Max Payne on the PC or the inferior PS2 version if I want.
Old 05-26-02, 02:26 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dfbennett
I was considering the XBox too but after seeing the E3 lineup, I decided against it. No games that really compel me. Alot of the lineup is similar to the PS2. Also, there aren't many released xbox games that interest me.
I thought it was just me who felt this way. I felt XBOX's E3 lineup was terrible....well terrible in the sense that every game just wasn't what I wanted. Or it's coming out for the PC.

I think a PS2/Cube combination is the way to go. Halo is great and all, but the XBOX still has a lot to prove. It has a ton going for it (amazing specs and all) but the games just haven't interested me whatsoever.

I guess that's just the casual gamer in me.
Old 05-26-02, 02:50 AM
Mod Emeritus

I thought it was just me who felt this way. I felt XBOX's E3 lineup was terrible....well terrible in the sense that every game just wasn't what I wanted. Or it's coming out for the PC.

I think a PS2/Cube combination is the way to go. Halo is great and all, but the XBOX still has a lot to prove. It has a ton going for it (amazing specs and all) but the games just haven't interested me whatsoever.

I guess that's just the casual gamer in me.

Eh. The only thing PS2 E3 showed me that I found interested was The Long Getaway or whatever the gangster game is. After reading a lot about it, it sounds too linear.

I think I'll get to the next generation without a PS2 unless they drop the price to $150 by this Xmas (which I can totally see them doing, so we'll see).

XBox + GCN = 90 percent of the killer games (for me)

PS2 + GCN = 90 percent of the killer games (for me)
Old 05-26-02, 02:02 PM
Retired

Last question...what are some good CUBE sites?? I'm talking fan sites, not the IGN/Gamespot stuff.
www.planetgamecube.com is outstanding. They post all the news that IGN and Gamespot get nearly as timely, and sometimes scoop the big sites.
Old 05-27-02, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm in no hurry, but I'll probably pick up a PS2 at some point. My roommate already has one, so it's not really crucial. I'd pick up a Gamecube maybe if it was 99 bucks, but 150 is still too steep for a console with only one worthwhile exclusive on it - Resident Evil. I say 'worthwhile' to indicate 'worthwhile to me' so don't get your panties up in bunches. I already have an Xbox and about a dozen games or so which I'm already sick of. I might just be sick of consoles in general already - back to the PC for me. E3 shed some light on the whole thing for me... the PS2 has dozens of really nice looking games coming out for it, the Xbox has lots of games I have really luke-warm feelings about and Nintendo has one game worth a **** coming out - the sequel to the only current title worth buying the console for... Again, Resident Evil 0. I also noticed how everyone at E3 was flatulent, but the highest concentration of flatulence happened inside the Nintendo booth. I spent all of 15 minutes there and that was enough for me...

Without question - the PC has the most cool games coming out as well as the best looking games. I can't wait. Console gaming was nice for a bit of a distraction, but we've got Deus Ex 2, Duke Nukem Forever, Doom 3, Tron 2.0, etc etc... just around the corner, and I don't really care if they all end up on consoles because they'll never look as good as they do on a PC and they won't control as good either.

So anyway - I guess my answer is none, but I may pick up a PS2 and a Gamecube after the next price drop... who knows.
Old 05-27-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As soon as I finish selling off some old hardware & games, I'll probably pick up an X-Box. Several of my friends have PS2 so I can just play theirs if I want to. I figure with the both of them, I'll be able to play the majority of games with the best quality possible. I'm not a fan of Nintendo's 1st party games. I always find them 'toothless' and boring somehow (save for Perfect Dark & 007 of course). Even when it's obvious that they're actually good with nice graphics and tight control and all that, they just don't hold their interest. Not sure why.

Also, the PAL->NTSC & potential free possibilities of the X-Box are very attractive to me.
Old 05-27-02, 09:59 AM

Playstation 2. I already had X-Box, but I got tired of not being able to play Grand Theft Auto or Final Fantasy X.

By the way, I got a really good deal on PS2 through Buy.com. If you use a Discover Card (and go through their link to Buy.com), you get 10% off. Plus PS2 gets free shipping, and there is no tax, so the system came to $180 shipped! Xbox would also be $180 and GameCube $135.
Old 05-27-02, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: What system(s) have you bought since the price drops and WHY?

Originally posted by joshhinkle
I picked up a PS2 today. I'd been waiting for a price drop, and after finding no killer PS2 bargains online, I hauled my Dreamcast and some games off to Babbages and picked up a PS2, along with Gran Turismo 3 and Maximo.
Question: What was the deal that went down? As well as the DC How many games did you turn in to get a PS2? And how much did you end up paying?

I'm thinking of trading in my DC, 10 games, 2 controllers and 2 Vmus in for a system (not sure which one yet). Would it be best to do it now? Would waiting 'till the end of the year make the DC completely worthless?

TIA
Old 05-27-02, 10:27 AM
Banned

Re: Re: What system(s) have you bought since the price drops and WHY?

Originally posted by the aftermath

Question: What was the deal that went down? As well as the DC How many games did you turn in to get a PS2? And how much did you end up paying?

I'm thinking of trading in my DC, 10 games, 2 controllers and 2 Vmus in for a system (not sure which one yet). Would it be best to do it now? Would waiting 'till the end of the year make the DC completely worthless?

TIA
There was report of a deal at EB inwhich you would get $100 off if you trade in a PS1/N64/DC with 10 games.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.