Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

HELP NEEDED: I Need a New Console (Part II)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-02, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so it's not really Part II. But seriously, I need a new console, and I feel that the people here will give me the objective opinions I so desire. And the median age isn't 15 like most other videogame boards.

Now here's the deal...I waited so patiently (it was f'in hard) for the consoles to drop to reasonable prices, and now is the best time to buy one. My friend has a PS2, so I'll be around that often. And personally, besides the exclusive GTA series, I see no reason to go buy a PS2. I'm not a fan of RPGs, and everything I like is pretty much on the Cube or XBOX anyways....so unless anyone has any info about any other amazing PS2 games coming out, I think I'll skip that one.

So it's between the XBOX and Cube. XBOX looks all fancy, it's the most powerful, but GOD that controller blows. Anything exclusive coming out for this one? And I don't mean that Jet Set Future crap. I realize Shenmue II is exclusive for it, but I don't need that. Also, anyone with an XBOX who can give me there impressions of it so far and the future, that'd be appreciated. The only reason I consider the XBOX is the $200 price. Seems like a good deal, but I personally don't think it will last that long.

So the Cube is the last choice. As of now, I like this one. $149 price, great controller, Mario/Zelda/Metroid exclusive games, and they have full EA and Sega support (right?). I am a huge sports nut, so EA and SEGA are a big deal. But I am so skeptical...Nintendo is great and all, the N64 had some amazing moments, but I felt SO cheated those last couple years. If anyone can reassure me that the Cube has an amazing library coming out, I'd much appreciate it.

As of now, I'm goin with the Cube. Any opinions, reccomendations, or so are appreciated.
Old 05-24-02, 12:11 PM

Personally, I own a PS2 and a 'Cube. I'm not that interested in the Xbox, and I hate the controller (it's WAY too big for my hands). I enjoy RPGs and party games like Super Monkey Ball, so my needs are more than met with the two systems I have. I can't wait for Zelda/Mario/Metroid, which you already know you'll miss out on if you choose the Xbox. I also have a GBA, so I'm looking forward to games that let me use the two systems together.

I'm not sure how helpful I can be in your decision, though, because I'm obviously pretty biased. I love my 'Cube, and I've only had it since Tuesday
Old 05-24-02, 12:12 PM
Banned

There are amaizing games coming out for all three. All three will have there share of exclusives. Here is what I think. You should buy a GameCube. You have to like the controller, because you will be spending all your video game time holding it; as you said, you like the GC controller. It seems like the only reason you are considering the other two is because of games. All three have games which everyone should play (some more than others), but unless you can afford all three, you won't beable to play all of them. Don't worry about "being cheated" because the GameCube is here to stay. It has a wonderful selection of games coming out soon, and a small library of must own titles right now.

Go buy a GameCube, Now!
Old 05-24-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

blakwngbrd, I'm in the same boat as you. I've enjoyed my PS2 since I got it last year and I picked up a Cube on Tuesday and am lovin' it. I already have 7 (exclusive) games for it so they should tie me over until Zelda/Mario/Metroid come out. I love the fact that games on the Cube support 4 players and I don't have to buy a multitap.

I picked up a PS2 to GameCube controller adapter for $10 just to see if it would make a difference (the PS2 controller has a few more buttons). I think it's cool. I'm probably going to pick up an extra Cube controller and an extra adapter so I can have 4 controllers. Time to party.
Old 05-24-02, 12:55 PM

If you think the Xbox controller is to big. They came out with a smaller one. It the S controller. I have both the Gamecube and Xbox. The only games I play on the Cube are Rogue Squadron and Resident evil but I play my Xbox all the time. I personally like Xbox. It has a hard drive, built in Broadband adapter and plays DVD's.
Old 05-24-02, 01:13 PM

Well, I've been lucky enough to own all three consoles and I would have to agree with your decision to pick between Gamecube and Xbox. As far as exclusives for Xbox goes, there are quite a few such as Brute Force, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ninja Gaiden, Project Ego, B.C., Unreal Championship, Splinter Cell, Psykonauts, Tork, Toe Jam and Earl III, Sega GT 2002 and more that I can't recall at the moment. As for the controller, you actually have a choice between two official contollers with the newest being the 'Controller S' which is much smaller and comparable in size to the Dual Shock 2. I happen to really like it.

As for Gamecube, you can't argue with the fact that there are several big titles coming sometime down the line. I know I look forward to playing them. However, I don't think you'll ever see the volume of titles coming out that you'll find on PS2 and Xbox. It may not be as bad as the N64 days but so far, it hasn't been much better.

Either way, good luck and enjoy your new console.
Old 05-24-02, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have twice as many Xbox games as Cube games but total game hours are about equal. The library may look small but there is something very addictive about the Nintendo titles. I played Halo obsessively and Spiderman is shaping up to be pretty good as well. But I was doing the straighthomeandplayingrightthehellaway thing with Rogue Leader, Super Monkey Ball, Smash Bros, and Sonic2.
Old 05-24-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
By what you have said I think the clear choice for you is the Game Cube. Get it and I doubt you will have any regrets.
Old 05-24-02, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually can't stand the gamecube controller and think the xbox is one of the best controllers ever. Sure it initially feels big compared to the dualshock but I was used to it in a day. However if you have given the xbox controller an intensive work over (more than a day of play) then I guess your opinion probably won't change and then I'd get a gamecube.

Chris
Old 05-24-02, 11:28 PM

I bought a Xbox this week and I thought I was going to be turned off by the controller everyone hates, but I personally love the controller and it fits my hands well (and I don't have that big of hands). I think the controller is just new and different from everything else and people can't get over it, same goes for the gamecube controller. BTW, I love Halo.
Old 05-24-02, 11:52 PM
Mod Emeritus

Mike are you a sports gamer? If so, the GCN is the wrong console for you. You want the Xbox, which allows unlimited saves (a big deal for those franchise game saves), it also has a killer online plan announced ($5 a year) which definitely enhances all sports games. Lastly you get the best exclusive sports games: NBA Inside Drive, NFL Fever, along with the EA and Sega stuff. From what I understand, the Xbox also gets the best versions of all ports from a graphical point of view.

Oh the controller? No man, check out the "S" controller, it's smaller and lots of people like it. Also, you can buy an attachment that lets you use a PS2 controller on it, heard that works great too.

Exclusives? Check out some E3 list, there is a long list of Xbox exclusives that look very good.

Plus there's the advantage of owning a multi-region player which the Xbox is capable of doing (PAL conversion etc).
Old 05-25-02, 09:25 AM

ditto with the xbox controller, and the graphics also look better than PS2. eg spiderman, don't need a memory card, and the new online plan looks good, but the added bonus for me is the in game 5.1 for the xbox games. Halo on surround is AMAZING.