Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

George Harrison's Electronic Sound

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-21-02, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hs anyone heard this album before?

I just downloaded it and it is painful. Its all these wierd random electronic sounds - hence the name - some of which are really awful.

The most common sound so far sounds sort of like the suction thing that dentists use. ick.
Old 05-22-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I owned this CD for about one day. After listening to it that's all I could stand of it It's really bad, prob only got issued because it was Geo Harrison - curious how I see it for sale in a lot of stores (HMV, Tower...)

-Gunshy
Old 05-25-02, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Its possible to do wierd random electronic sounds and make it sound good though....pink floyd, some early techno and electronica, etc.

But this album was just so very bad. It's sort of like drinking a bottle of tequila and slamming your head in a car door. Painful and nauseating.
Old 01-18-12, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: George Harrison's Electronic Sound

Wow, I know this is an old thread, but I had to say something.
This is an album titled Electronic Sound--Did you think it was just ironically titled that? It's exactly what it describes.

Having said this, I really enjoy it. It's obviously different from any pop tunes or even rock tunes Harrison did with the Beatles, and if you go into it with no expectations, it's a very interesting listen.
I love anything electronic, especially if it's from an early period of electronic music long before the commercial music of the 1980's completely washed over and ruined the sound of the synthesizer.

I say give it another chance if you can get your hands on it anywhere.
Old 01-18-12, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You should hear Pete Townshend's prayer records to Meher Baba. That's some lousy shit.
Old 01-19-12, 12:02 PM

^Are you talking about Happy Birthday and I Am? I haven't heard those records in their entirety, but some of the songs were released as extras on the Who Came First CD in 1992, and it just sounds like his demos. Did he have spoken prayers on them too?

Another thing about Electronic Sound, though, is that there was this thing where apparently George recorded Bernie Krause playing "No Time Or Space" without his knowledge, and Krause later sued him. He didn't even want credit on the album for having played it. It's a shame that they couldn't have just agreed to record it in the first place and avoided the scuffle.

Last edited by HUG-H; 01-19-12 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-19-12, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by ziggy
Hs anyone heard this album before?

I just downloaded it and it is painful. Its all these wierd random electronic sounds - hence the name - some of which are really awful.

The most common sound so far sounds sort of like the suction thing that dentists use. ick.

I've heard it, and it's got nothing on Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music
Old 01-19-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Damfino
I've heard it, and it's got nothing on Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music
I have not heard Electronic Sounds, but I just wanted to chime in to say Metal Machine Music is awesome. It's like the soundtrack to a Jackson Pollock painting.
Old 01-19-12, 05:27 PM

Actually, I like that one too! But it's different because MMM is the same piece all the way through--Too bad they couldn't have made a version for CD that just has it uninterrupted--Instead it's in 4 parts like the double LP.
Plus the effects on that recording are sped-up, and that was all-guitar oriented, not from a moog.

But what is really fascinating is that the Reed record continues to be a cult favorite, and Reed himself has re-embraced the project and even founded a trio that has actually performed it live. And it's been remastered for CD yet again.

No such luck for Electronic Sound, though. Harrison died, and it seems unlikely that he ever would have wanted to recreate that record since he never really came back to experimental music except for reusing part of "No Time or Space" for "I Remember Jeep" on All Things Must Pass.

Last edited by HUG-H; 01-19-12 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-21-12, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
I have not heard Electronic Sounds, but I just wanted to chime in to say Metal Machine Music is awesome. It's like the soundtrack to a Jackson Pollock painting.

Originally Posted by HUG-H
Actually, I like that one too! But it's different because MMM is the same piece all the way through--Too bad they couldn't have made a version for CD that just has it uninterrupted--Instead it's in 4 parts like the double LP.
Plus the effects on that recording are sped-up, and that was all-guitar oriented, not from a moog.

But what is really fascinating is that the Reed record continues to be a cult favorite, and Reed himself has re-embraced the project and even founded a trio that has actually performed it live. And it's been remastered for CD yet again.
Great comments, it wasn't my intention to hijack the thread, but I had no idea MMM had ever been performed live!
Old 01-22-12, 02:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kefrank
It's like the soundtrack to a Jackson Pollock painting.
Don't insult Pollock like that.
Old 01-22-12, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Damfino
Great comments, it wasn't my intention to hijack the thread, but I had no idea MMM had ever been performed live!
Actually, I was misinformed--Reed improvised noise music with the trio inspired by the album:

From Wikipedia:
"In 2010, Reed, Ulrich Krieger, and Sarth Calhoun collaborated to tour, playing free improvisation inspired by the album, as Metal Machine Trio. That same year, Reed announced his plans to re-release Metal Machine Music in remastered form."
Old 01-22-12, 01:17 PM

Try playing them simultaneously:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/45ZcXDmFVag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dYtzNl48F60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-23-12, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Try playing them simultaneously
Well, of course! now it all makes sense!
Old 01-27-12, 12:53 PM

Try playing them simultaneously:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/45ZcXDmFVag" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dYtzNl48F60" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Try adding this to the mix:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U1M5Q3onsX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by HUG-H; 01-27-12 at 02:40 PM.