Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Chunking Express

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-02, 11:29 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chunking Express

Anyone have any idea where I can find Chunking Express on HK DVD? I certainly don't want the US DVD...
Old 05-21-02, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There are a few on Ebay, and HKFlix has a Korean version.

Why is the US version so bad? It's a longer cut. Just curious, since I just received my copy.
Old 05-21-02, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by roseart
There are a few on Ebay, and HKFlix has a Korean version.

Why is the US version so bad? It's a longer cut. Just curious, since I just received my copy.
Please post a review when you get the chance. I have it on LD and the HK version on vcd.
Old 05-21-02, 01:21 PM
Cool New Member

I know very little about the US release. Just going on previous DVD's here. US versions tend to be altered from the HK equivalent, and usually not for the better. It bothers me a lot. I'd rather get the original, the way it was intended. I know that this may not be true for the US version of Chunking Express, but still. I've only touched a hot stove burner once to know that it's not the right thing to do...
Old 05-21-02, 01:30 PM

In this case, I think it's worth getting both. The US version is the international cut made by the director himself (I'm pretty sure about this) and not a studio cut. The HK cut was for the local exhibitors to squeeze in more shows or take the risk of having the exhibitors cutting it themselves, or so I've have heard.
Old 05-21-02, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From IMDB:

US version expands the scenes where The Blonde prepares for smuggling trip and later searches for smugglers. It also includes a kidnapping of an Indian girl which does not appear in the Hong Kong version. Sequence with Qiwu loitering outside girlfriend's window occurs earlier in US print. Indian music plays during smugglers arrival at airport in US print, in Hong Kong version the title theme plays. Song 'Dreams' sung by Faye Wong is at a different place in US version.
Old 05-21-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by deathboy
I know very little about the US release. Just going on previous DVD's here. US versions tend to be altered from the HK equivalent, and usually not for the better.
True, this is the case more often than not, but it might not be such a good idea to base one's purchasing decisions on past events. If a review states that an R1 disc contains the complete version of a film with the original audio track and a good transfer, then doesn't that make it good enough? There are even some extras on the Chungking Express disc!
Old 05-21-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Chunking Express

Originally posted by deathboy
Anyone have any idea where I can find Chunking Express on HK DVD? I certainly don't want the US DVD...
Ummm...you can buy my HK Chungking Express DVD, if you'd like. I'm personally buying the US version, so I need to get rid of the current HK version I have.
Old 05-27-02, 08:30 AM

R1 vs R2

Is the R2-UK version the same, abeit non-anamorphic as the R1-US, cuz i did remeber seeing all those parts in.....

Old 06-01-02, 12:55 AM

Trust me the HK version of Chungking is horrible.
The picture and sound are attrocious.

The R1 version is an excellent print and the directors prefered longer cut. I can't think of a single reason to own the HK release.
Old 12-08-02, 11:04 PM

I saw the movie with a Chinese-American girl one day and boy, did I miss out a lot in the movie: The plain clothes cop is actually half Japanese and Chinese(knew that). In the scene where he's talking to Brigette Lin(?) in her blonde wig, he talks to her in Cantonese, Mandarin, and Japanese, trying to figure out what she speaks (didn't know that).
Old 12-09-02, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Takeshi Kaneshiro can also do English quite well, and being from Taiwan originally, I'm guessing can speaking Taiwanese as well.
Old 12-09-02, 07:09 PM
Cool New Member

I've seen both versions, and personally, I feel the R1 international cut rounds out the story better. The original language track is available and it's a solid transfer. No need to discriminate against R1 releases!