Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

KB Toys B&M xbox accessory sale!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KB Toys B&M xbox accessory sale!

Picked up an official xbox controller today for $20 The guy said the sale goes thru tomorrow but would probably be extended (?)I also saw memory cards and some cables on sale too but I don't remember the prices on those.... Still worth checking out if you want to pick up an extra controller for 1/2 price. No controller S at my local KB but maybe that would apply too?
Old 05-18-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

KB has seemed to have learned it's lesson and is finally being competitive with places like EB. The selection isn't as great, but more times than not I have noticed that the prices are better even on non-sale items. So those folks who avoided KB because they have horribly outrageous prices need to give them another chance before running off to other places and wasting cash.

Our KB is even talking about putting a section in the front of the store with shelves for the games like EB so you don't have them all hidden behind the counter. They haven't even started building it yet though and construction is gonna take like 6 months.

Keep an eye on KB though, they're really turning around.

~Scheherazade
Old 05-18-02, 09:06 PM

Thanks for the info. Will pass by tomorrow as am expecting my Xbox to be shipped next week. Will get another controller. I have a question, though. Since xbox has a hard disk already, is there really a need for me to grab memory cards as well? Thanks.
Old 05-18-02, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by DVDGamer
Thanks for the info. Will pass by tomorrow as am expecting my Xbox to be shipped next week. Will get another controller. I have a question, though. Since xbox has a hard disk already, is there really a need for me to grab memory cards as well? Thanks.
I was thinking about this too, but the only reason you need a memory card for the xbox is if you want to take your saved games with you. There is 5000 empty slots on the hard drive and I don't think you'll ever need that much slots anyway.
Old 05-18-02, 09:21 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by zerotl

There is 5000 empty slots on the hard drive and I don't think you'll ever need that much slots anyway.
Actually there are 312,645 blocks on the XBox Hard drive. The counter reads 50,000+.

Anyway, it's enough for all 70 XBox games on the market plus 73 hours of ripped music. You don't need a memory card.
Old 05-18-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The hard drive was the best thing ever invented in life!
Old 05-18-02, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trelach24
The hard drive was the best thing ever invented in life!
It's sad when people try to penalize the XBOX for having it calling it a wanna-be PC. Thier loss I guess but i'll be mall hopping KBToy's tommorrow.
Old 05-18-02, 10:41 PM

People can penalize it all they want but they can also call PS2 the last console to ever be built without a hard drive.
Old 05-18-02, 11:12 PM

And the last console to have those terrible jaggies
Old 05-19-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Trelach24
People can penalize it all they want but they can also call PS2 the last console to ever be built without a hard drive.
[cough]Game Cube[cough]

As far as a hard drive goes. It is cool to not need a memory card, but I still use one anyway to back up what games support it.
Old 05-19-02, 01:52 AM

I clearly said Gamecube

Old 05-20-02, 06:27 AM

Thanks!

Picked up two controllers for $40!
Old 05-20-02, 07:33 AM

I don't know much about the Xbox since I have a PS2. I don't mind the memory card actually. It can also be used to transfer data onto someone else's memory card or be used to play on games at a friend's house without having to redo all the levels or build your game character, etc.

How does Xbox do this?
Old 05-20-02, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Fooman: The Xbox can save on an internal hard drive or on a portable memory card.
Old 05-20-02, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ctyner
Fooman: The Xbox can save on an internal hard drive or on a portable memory card.
What about the ethernet port? Is there a way to transfer data to a PC, then e-mail that to a friend, then transfer that data to their x-box HD?

Where's a good site to learn about xbox hacks? There was one I saw (I don't think it is xboxhack.com) that seemed pretty up-to-date on everything.

Last edited by Lampei; 05-20-02 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-20-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Are the s-controllers $20 also?
Old 05-20-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Lampei: Perhaps there is (or will be) a hack along those lines, but I've yet to give anything like that a shot.

Drexl: Judging from the posts I've read elsewhere, KB doesn't carry the S controller. Perhaps you could get the regular larger controller at the discounted price and exchange it at another retailer?
Old 05-20-02, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Drexl: Judging from the posts I've read elsewhere, KB doesn't carry the S controller. Perhaps you could get the regular larger controller at the discounted price and exchange it at another retailer?
I just read the first post again and realized Shuki answered my question . I just called them and she said it's just the Mad Catz and some other third party controllers. I guess they're out of the first-party ones.
Old 05-20-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't think KB has gotten any S controllers yet. They can be a little slow at times getting in new peripherals and the like, especially if they have others like it on the shelf. I can try and check when I go in tonight if it's on any of our sale lists though, it'd be up there even if we didn't have it if some KB somewhere else does.

~Scheherazade
Old 05-20-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Drexl
I just read the first post again and realized Shuki answered my question . I just called them and she said it's just the Mad Catz and some other third party controllers. I guess they're out of the first-party ones.
just got back from a 2nd KB and they had all of their Xbox hardware with 50% off "clearance" stickers on it. Third party and official MS stuff too. Memory cards were $15 and they had about 8 official controllers left in the case. It'd definitely be worth a shot to buy the regular one and then try and exchange it for an "s" version at a different store.
Old 05-20-02, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Shuki
just got back from a 2nd KB and they had all of their Xbox hardware with 50% off "clearance" stickers on it.
Clearance? Uh oh.
Old 05-20-02, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally posted by Drexl
Clearance? Uh oh.
No reason for concern. All gaming accessories are 50% off, including PS2 and GameCube.
Old 05-20-02, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No reason for concern. All gaming accessories are 50% off, including PS2 and GameCube.
my local store was not running the GC stuff on sale, just the X-box, and some PS-2 stuff. I had them scan a GC memory card & a GC first party controller, but no go, they rang up full price.
Old 05-21-02, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

That's strange. Virtually every other KB Toys store in the nation is including those consoles in their sale as well. I've heard reports that a handful of stores are apparently choosing not to participate, so perhaps your local store is in that minority.
Old 05-21-02, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the post! I just picked up a controller for $19.99! Last one in the store, too.
I was told the sale was going for another week. The store in the Merchandise Mart (Chicago) had a little basket with a bunch of PS2 games 50% as well. I saw SSX Tricky and some others.