Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Ryan Adams/Alanis review

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Ryan Adams/Alanis review

Old 05-16-02, 03:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ryan Adams/Alanis review

I got to check out the Ryan Adams/Alanis Morissette tour and I was really impressed.

Adams was the main reason I went but I also enjoy Alanis.

Ryan came out and performed most tracks from GOLD and a few from Heartbreaker. He also did a song called "Desire" which I assume to be one of his many unreleased songs.

NY NY, Rescue Blues, Cry Cry Cry, La Cienega Just Smiled, Nobody Girl, Firecracker, Answering Bell, Come Pick Me Up and some others were performed.

He acted like he really was having fun. His voice was incredible going up and down with his trademark jagged pitch thingy he does.

He would frequently spin or play around onstage. RA also joked a lot with crowd saying things like "don't worry only 5 more songs and your suffering will be over" and this is our last song and it's long and boring (Nobody Girl).

He was great.

Alanis came out and really rocked the sh** out of the place. She performed Baba, 21 Things and Right Through You and her latest backing band sounded amazing. These guys could show up at Ozzfest and not seem out of place. She sweated and danced around for about 90 minutes in this white tank top thing with a brown leather bra underneath, with brown leather skirt and brown leather pants underneath.

She her Jagged Little Pill songs and Unsympathetic Character, Thank U and Baba from Supposed Former IJ.

Alanis did a lot from Under Rug Swept except for its two best songs "Flinch" and "That Particular Time".

So Unsexy, Hands Clean, 21 Things, A Man, Precious Illusions.

She also really stretched her voice and carried it more than a few times.

If you like either artist this show won't disappoint.

If you're just going to see Alanis do yourself a favor and show up early because Ryan Adams is not to be missed.
Old 05-16-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts
Yea, I saw them last week at the Joint in Las Vegas and it was a great show...(May 9th 2002)

Where did you see them Frank?
Old 05-16-02, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They were supposed to come to Birmingham, but I can't find tickets anywhere. Ticketmaster doesn't have any! Is there any way the concert was cancelled and they just don't have it listed? Help! I SO want to see Ryan Adams in concert, even if he's just the opening act.
Old 05-16-02, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by Penny Lane
They were supposed to come to Birmingham, but I can't find tickets anywhere. Ticketmaster doesn't have any! Is there any way the concert was cancelled and they just don't have it listed? Help! I SO want to see Ryan Adams in concert, even if he's just the opening act.
I think the concert has been canceled. I have no actual proof of this, just that the date has disappeared from any tour list I can find. Also, since it was supposed to be next Thursday (May 24th), tickets should have already gone on sale.

I was looking forward to it too. On one hand to see Ryan Adams, but mostly to see Alanis because she always puts on a great show.
Old 05-16-02, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Chrisedge
Yea, I saw them last week at the Joint in Las Vegas and it was a great show...(May 9th 2002)

Where did you see them Frank?

St. Louis

also, their three show in Texas tonight (5/16, 5/17, 5/18) will be her last three with Ryan Adams I'm pretty sure.

Then the tour stops for about two weeks.

If any Ryan Adams fans hear of another tour please post something in this forum. Because tickets will go quick in the those small venues.

Last edited by Frank TJ Mackey; 05-16-02 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-17-02, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've always loved Alanis (SFIJ is definitely on my top ten of the 90s), and Ryan Adams' Gold has been by far my most listened CD ever since I bur, uh, I mean, bought it, a month or so ago.

I'm sure this is quite a show. Perhaps they'll film a full concert with both of their sets for a DVD release?

Eh, fat chance, but I sure wish they would.