Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

W.C. Fields shorts - Criterion vs. Madacy vs. Platinum?

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 05-15-02, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know some of you are probably saying "Criterion vs. Madacy? Are you nuts?" However, I did a search in the forum that said that even Criterion's W.C. Fields - 6 Short Films has pretty bad audio and video quality, partly because of original film deterioration but partly because of a bad transfer. Madacy has their own DVD 2-pack with these same 6 shorts, and Platinum has a 3 short DVD out.

That being said, and knowing that Madacy and Platinum are known for low quality DVDs in their own right, this is my question: Is there any real difference between these versions in terms of audio/video quality? Was the earlier review wrong? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-02, 06:37 PM
X
Administrator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts
I have the Criterion and a friend has one of the others, I don't remember which. But I remember thinking it would have to look really bad so it must have been Madacy. I was going to show her the superiority of the Criterion.

So I checked out her version on a notebook computer and was surprised that with a cursory viewing the "Brand X" version looked about as good as the Criterion. I didn't check it really critically, but it sure looked about the same to me.
Old 05-16-02, 02:58 AM

Thanks for posting this-- I've been wondering, too. I saw 3 of these shorts on TV a few years ago and the print looked pretty bad, to the point that I didn't think there would be much difference on the Criterion. They can only do so much with what they have to work with.
Old 05-16-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

According to the DVDTalk review the Criterion transfer blows away the Madacy transfer, but I haven't seen either.
Old 05-20-02, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Go with Criterion and stay away from Madacy.

Madacy =

VHS is better than Madacy