Reload this Page >

Anyone notice PS2 availability now?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-15-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked both bestbuy.com and circuitcity.com. Out of stock with PS2's. Amazing. You guys think this trend will continue? What's the stock look like at your local stores? Also, with the price drop of the Xbox, you think people intending to buy a PS2, upon finding them sold out, will instead pick up an Xbox?
Old 05-15-02, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still no reply for my message. Man!
Old 05-15-02, 03:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Consoles aren't candy bars, people looking for one aren't likely to just up and grab another one instead.

Looks like Gamecube's short (since Resident Evil came out) reign as the #1 selling console is coming to an end.
Old 05-15-02, 03:48 PM

Picked one up at ToysRUs yesterday because I had a $20 coupon. So out the door was round $195.

But did check 2 games stores at mall as well as Target and they still have some.
One of the games store, EB I think, was selling a system to someone.

So ... by Memorial weekend, maybe it will be out.
Old 05-15-02, 04:57 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was at Costco a few days ago and they had an entire pallet each of PS2s and Xboxes. So I don't think there are any supply problems with any system right now.

-BT
Old 05-15-02, 05:32 PM

Got a PS2 at Electronics Boutique, they still had several. Also, they are running a promotion where you trade in a PSX, N64, or Dreamcast With games for 100 off the purchase of a new system. I got my PS2 for $102 with tax!!
Old 05-15-02, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by mixalot007
Got a PS2 at Electronics Boutique, they still had several. Also, they are running a promotion where you trade in a PSX, N64, or Dreamcast With games for 100 off the purchase of a new system. I got my PS2 for $102 with tax!!
Do you have anymore info on this deal at EB?
Old 05-15-02, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MFRONE

Do you have anymore info on this deal at EB?
You need to trade in either a PSX, N64, or Dreamcast with ten games (any combo of N64, DC or PSX games) and you get $100 off any nextgen system.
Old 05-15-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up my PS2 today at Circuit City. There were about three PS2's left on the shelf. Across the aisle there were at least a dozen or so X-Box's on the shelf. The guy in line in front of me also was picking up a PS2.

That was today. By tomorrow who knows.

Robb
Old 05-15-02, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by e_hartnett

You need to trade in either a PSX, N64, or Dreamcast with ten games (any combo of N64, DC or PSX games) and you get $100 off any nextgen system.
I thought about jumping on this, but when I looked up all the PSX games I was planning to trade in on ebay I found that I could sell them for well over $100 (possibly as much as $180, but at least $100) on their own, plus another $30 - $40 minimum for the console. So I'm going that route instead of trading in at EB. Should be able to cover the cost of a GCN once Nintendo follows suit with the price drops
Old 05-15-02, 10:17 PM

I went to my local Best Buy to finally pick up a PS2, and they were all gone as of around noon today.

Someone had said one of the employees and two of his buddies bought most of the stock to Ebay and sell door-to-door (yes, that's what he said) for a profit. He said that in a way that let me know he thinks that employee is a bad guy.

I'll say - he took my PS2 . Seriously, I finally bought an N64 less than a week ago, so I've finally gotten to enjoy Ocarina of Time. I honestly wouldn't have time to play a PS2 until monday or so anyway, so hopefully they'll get some new stock in. I'd check other places, but I've got $80 in Best Buy gift certificates that I'd rather use than cash.
Old 05-15-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my DC to death...but man that deal is tempting...very tempting!!!!!
Old 05-16-02, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts
Originally posted by KnightLerxst
I love my DC to death...but man that deal is tempting...very tempting!!!!!
Give up that dreamcast for that? IMHO i can in no way justify that deal. 100 bucks? for 10 games AND a system? If you are going to sell it at least sell it for decent money. however, it is more convenient. to each his own i guess. post your games and if people are interested I am sure that you will get more than 7 bucks a game. I know I'm looking for Dreamcast games
Old 05-16-02, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still plenty of PS2's in the Cincy area...
Old 05-16-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think that $100 at EB is a minimum. I bought my Gamecube last month using that deal and got like $140 for my N64 and 7 games.
Old 05-16-02, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by spankyj
Still no reply for my message. Man!
we are here to serve...
Old 05-16-02, 11:47 AM

all these post later, and still no reply from spanky, man!
Old 05-16-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still here.....just seeing what you all have to say about availability. I got in late to the Dreamcast(Christmas sales), so I am still messing with it. I just can't decide whether getting a PS2 with the same 128bit is worth it at this point. I love the games, but I may consider holding off till the end of the life cycle to get it even cheaper.
Old 05-17-02, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by MrKen
I think that $100 at EB is a minimum. I bought my Gamecube last month using that deal and got like $140 for my N64 and 7 games.
Anyone know if this DC console trade in still exists?

Please give me the details. I would at this point trade in my old Dreamcast with 10 games for $100 towards a new xbox.

?
Old 05-17-02, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just called the EB near me and they still take the DC trade in with extra credit for games, systems, and accessories if you are putting it toward a next gen system.
Old 05-19-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I've decided to get an X-Box, but I can't find any near here. They do have PS2's though.

I don't mean this as a knock on KMart's employees as a whole, so if you work there, don't take this personally, but I believe they hire some pretty stupid people.

I called them the other day, twice, to ask if they had any X-Box consoles. Both times I called, the woman on the line said "yes, we have six of them." She even went back to check, so she wasn't just saying this off the top of her head. I go there to pick one up, and they don't have any. It turns out that the person must have meant PS2, since someone at the store told me they haven't had any X-Boxes since last year.

Now, I can understand someone who doesn't know about videogames (like, say, J6P or someone in the mainstream media ) confusing X-Box with PS2. I could even be more understanding of someone who confuses the X-Box with the GameCube (box~cube). However, there is NO excuse for someone working in a retail establishment to make this kind of mistake.
Old 05-20-02, 12:07 AM

Well over here in Michigan all the stores I have been to have plenty of PS2's in stock, but almost all of these stores are selling X-BOX's like there will be no tomarrow. A few of the workers that I talked to said they were selling them faster than they could keep them on the shelf. This was easily clear as the 15 minutes I was in the store I seen 3 X-BOX's sold.
Old 05-20-02, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I really think most of the stores are selling more of both. some are selling a ton of PS2's and some are selling a ton of Xboxes.

I think overall the PS2 will continue to outsell the XBox but we will see soon with upcoming sales figures. Since the PS2 outsold the XBox at $299 I figure it will continue when they both are $199. I hope no matter what both consoles see an increase in sales since that is good news for owners of both systems