Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What is the meaning behind the PINK song "Don't Let Me Get Me"?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What is the meaning behind the PINK song "Don't Let Me Get Me"?

Old 05-15-02, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the meaning behind this PINK song?

The GF and I were listening to the radio when the Pink song "Don't Let Me Get Me" came on. Afterwards we disagreed on the meaning of the song and I immediatly knew I had a forum topic. So if you've heard the song or read the lyrics below tell me what you think the song is about.

Never win first place, I don't support the team
I can't take direction, and my socks are never clean
Teachers dated me, my parents hated me
I was always in a fight cuz I can't do nothin'
right

Everyday I fight a war against the mirror
I can't take the person starin' back at me
I'm a hazard to myself

Don't let me get me
I'm my own worst enemy
Its bad when you annoy yourself
So irritating
Don't wanna be my friend no more
I wanna be somebody else

I wanna be somebody else, yeah

LA told me, "You'll be a pop star,
All you have to change is everything you are."
Tired of being compared to Damn_Britney Spears
She's so pretty, that just ain't me

Doctor, doctor won't you please prescribe somethin
A day in the life of someone else?
Cuz I'm a hazard to myself

Don't let me get me
I'm my own worst enemy
Its bad when you annoy yourself
So irritating
Don't wanna be my friend no more
I wanna be somebody else

Doctor, doctor won't you please prescribe
somethin
A day in the life of someone else?
Don't let me get me
Old 05-15-02, 07:47 AM
Banned

Pink already discussed what this song is about many times on MTV.
Old 05-15-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

isn't the meaning of the song obvious?
Old 05-15-02, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i enjoy the britney spears refference.
Old 05-15-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I'm glad somebody already knows what Pink meant with this song. Would anyone like to share that info?

Just so you know, my GF thinks the song is a suicide song. She beileve's Pink is saying how much she hates her life and is calling out for help begging for someone to save her.

I think the song is just about how she is saying she hates her life and wishes to be someone else.
Old 05-15-02, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts
She's her own worst enemy and everyone thinks they know what she needs to make her better than she is.

But in the end she's not all that bad and doesn't really need them or her own insecure thoughts.

that's my take.

Pink is great.
Old 05-16-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe it's about someone with a multiple personality disorder.
Old 08-25-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 161 Posts
I don't agree with your girlfriend. I think it's about redemption, perseverance, and triumph Literally, it's about her life.
Old 08-25-02, 05:27 PM

As someone said in a different forum, and I totally agree with this opinion, Pink is saying, basically:

*whine whine* I'm an attention wh*re *whine whine*

Old 08-25-02, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dislike Pink a lot.

She makes Britney Spears look a whole lot better.

Her first album was like some hip hop.
This album is like a poppy popper.

She is totally dissing herself in this song...and she doesn't even know it...by her intentions from the lyrics.

She has completely changed her image (even though she would probably deny it)

Yeah, she may look unique...but her personality ain't.
Old 08-25-02, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by conscience I dislike Pink a lot.

Umm...ok.

Her first disc was Pop R&B. Her second disc she wanted something different. I have no idea what a "poppy popper" is. But if I had to label it, i'd describe it as Pop Rock.

Originally posted by conscience She is totally dissing herself in this song...and she doesn't even know it...by her intentions from the lyrics.
Umm...ok.

Since she actually had a hand in writing the song, i'm pretty sure she realizes what she's singing about. Unlike other "cookie cutter processed-songwriting team in switzerland" boy/girl bands in the pop field.

Originally posted by conscience She has completely changed her image (even though she would probably deny it)
Umm...ok.

She should stay the same for every single album. Everyone knows that changing your image is a career killer. Look at Madonna's.

Originally posted by conscience Yeah, she may look unique...but her personality ain't.
Umm...ok.

BTW...thanks for the
Old 08-26-02, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How in the hell did this thread find new life after 3 months?

AND

I still don't have a definate answer.
Old 08-26-02, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

looks to me like she's admitting to sucking and comprovising her beliefs just to be more admired.
Old 08-26-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i heard on the radio that the song is supposed to be about her rebelling against the whole teen pop era and talking about how her life sucked and so on. oh and by the way, i actually like this song a little
Old 08-26-02, 02:37 PM

This song grows on you.
Old 08-26-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I'm not that big a fan of Pink. I could take or leave her music.

But, awhile back ago, I d/l a version of this song that was supposed to be a "remix". Apparently, what the person did was add even more real drums and guitar to the song which made it MUCH BETTER.

Unfortunately, somehow I lost it.
Old 08-26-02, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Rogue588
Umm...ok.

Her first disc was Pop R&B. Her second disc she wanted something different. I have no idea what a "poppy popper" is. But if I had to label it, i'd describe it as Pop Rock.
Umm...ok.

Her first disc was along the lines of Hip Hop/R&B. I saw no pop style. She had a harder edge than the "baby one more time, Britney". If she wanted to do a pop album, why not cherish it rather than diss it on that song?

Poppy Popper is just a phrase I made up while typing my first response. It basically means bubblegum pop, basically. She showed none of this on her first album. Her second...well: pick any song that doesn't have some sort of poppy sound, a la Brit, Christina, N Sync etc.

Umm...ok.

Since she actually had a hand in writing the song, i'm pretty sure she realizes what she's singing about. Unlike other "cookie cutter processed-songwriting team in switzerland" boy/girl bands in the pop field
Umm...ok.

I don't care if she had a hand in writing the song or not (that is not my point), she can still be wrong. She is singing about what she believes, not what we, the audience, believes. Although some can agree (you), others can disagree (me).

Umm...ok.

She should stay the same for every single album. Everyone knows that changing your image is a career killer. Look at Madonna's.
Umm...ok.

I am not busting on change or no change. She can go the "Opposite Michael Jackson" by getting darker and singing opera for all I care. If you are going to sing and *write* about not wanting to conform to the pop industry, why do the "pop thing" on your whole second album? And don't give me "It is just that song poking fun at the pop industry. Check out her other singles.

Umm...ok.

BTW...thanks for the
Umm...ok.

No from me. I mentioned the song and what I believe it meant, along with my opinions. And now I am giving my response to you...I don't have to have the same opinions as you do.
Old 08-26-02, 07:39 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 104 Likes on 93 Posts
I am a big fan of pink I think she's pretty cool, I see this album as more of Pink becomes shirley manson and garbage. I think she has a cool attitude..

Chalk me down as a pink fan
Old 08-26-02, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by conscience I dislike Pink a lot.

Followed by...
Originally posted by conscience

Umm...ok.

Her first disc was along the lines of Hip Hop/R&B. I saw no pop style. She had a harder edge than the "baby one more time, Britney". If she wanted to do a pop album, why not cherish it rather than diss it on that song?

Poppy Popper is just a phrase I made up while typing my first response. It basically means bubblegum pop, basically. She showed none of this on her first album. Her second...well: pick any song that doesn't have some sort of poppy sound, a la Brit, Christina, N Sync etc.
Actually, IMO it wasn't anywhere near Hip Hop. But obviously it fit your definition of "Hip Hop". Also, IMO both albums have a "harder edge". "Cherish it"?
Originally posted by conscience She is totally dissing herself in this song...and she doesn't even know it...by her intentions from the lyrics.
Followed by...
Originally posted by conscience Umm...ok.

I don't care if she had a hand in writing the song or not (that is not my point), she can still be wrong. She is singing about what she believes, not what we, the audience, believes. Although some can agree (you), others can disagree (me).
She can still be wrong? Methinks, my friend, you're the one that's wrong. Her song is what it is. It's what she wrote. It's what she chose to release. How can you say she's wrong? It's your opinion that she's "wrong". Not a fact. But, I do agree that everyone has their own opinion. Mine is stated above. And I also agree that everyone has their own interpretation of art.

Some see a sailboat, and some don't.
Originally posted by conscience She has completely changed her image (even though she would probably deny it)
Followed by...

I am not busting on change or no change. She can go the "Opposite Michael Jackson" by getting darker and singing opera for all I care. If you are going to sing and *write* about not wanting to conform to the pop industry, why do the "pop thing" on your whole second album? And don't give me "It is just that song poking fun at the pop industry. Check out her other singles.
Singing "pop songs" does not mean you're conforming to the "pop industry". Pearl Jam sing rock songs. Would you say that since they don't conform to the "rock 'n roll industry" they should stop doing the "rock thing"? Perhaps her idea of the "pop industry" is following in the BSB/N'Sync/BS/CA mode of promotion? Who knows? Obviously you have a different idea than she does. I, on the other hand, have no idea what goes on inside an artists' head. [if I had that ability, the first person I would try to figure out sure as hell wouldn't be Pink.]

Originally posted by conscience Yeah, she may look unique...but her personality ain't.
Followed by...

No from me. I mentioned the song and what I believe it meant, along with my opinions. And now I am giving my response to you...I don't have to have the same opinions as you do.
Actually, you started your post with "I dislike Pink alot". The original intent of the this thread was interpretations of the lyrics. And after your statement about this song, you go on to comment on her image & negatively on her personality.

And as for your ing of this thread, I refer you to

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=214035

After reading the above, I am so glad I didn't comment on the "Jennifer Love Hewett" thread.

BTW, BadlyHealingBoy, Shirley kicks ass. And from what i've seen of Pink in interviews, you're right, she does exhibit the some of the same attitude that Shirley has.
Old 08-27-02, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, IMO it wasn't anywhere near Hip Hop. But obviously it fit your definition of "Hip Hop". Also, IMO both albums have a "harder edge". "Cherish it"?
And I must add, that is in your opinion. My opinion is that it was Hip Hop...no "harder edge." IE: I saw videos of singles from her first album on BET...you don't see Christina, Brits, N Sync videos on there, do you? Maybe that is a biased answer though.

She can still be wrong? Methinks, my friend, you're the one that's wrong. Her song is what it is. It's what she wrote. It's what she chose to release. How can you say she's wrong? It's your opinion that she's "wrong". Not a fact. But, I do agree that everyone has their own opinion. Mine is stated above. And I also agree that everyone has their own interpretation of art.
Maybe you didn't understand what I was trying to put out. As I came to see from your other comments. I meant the whole being wrong to be opinionated from person to person, in the first place. I believe she is wrong. You may not. That is why we have opinions. I have every right to say my opinions that "She is wrong."

Singing "pop songs" does not mean you're conforming to the "pop industry". Pearl Jam sing rock songs. Would you say that since they don't conform to the "rock 'n roll industry" they should stop doing the "rock thing"? Perhaps her idea of the "pop industry" is following in the BSB/N'Sync/BS/CA mode of promotion? Who knows? Obviously you have a different idea than she does. I, on the other hand, have no idea what goes on inside an artists' head. [if I had that ability, the first person I would try to figure out sure as hell wouldn't be Pink.].
My whole entire question is this:

WHY WILL PINK sing a song about not wanting to conform to the "pop thing" by doing it? Her entire cd is nothing like she is said to want (a hard edge minus any pop). She doesn't want to become an oddity in the pop world....well get this: That is what she is becoming from this album...and maybe she wanted it that way, but I can't believe artists would make such drastic moves as she has to become something she doesn't want to be.

Perhaps her idea of the "pop industry" is following in the BSB/N'Sync/BS/CA mode of promotion? Who knows?
Then why say you basically hate the idea in a song, then?

Actually, you started your post with "I dislike Pink alot". The original intent of the this thread was interpretations of the lyrics. And after your statement about this song, you go on to comment on her image & negatively on her personality.
Hey, I don't like Pink. You may. And I don't like that song and I believe that it is going beyong her definition of herself. She hates being considered something of a pop singer, why is she singing pop music?

BTW- Don't ask any more questions, I am getting tired of Pink. WHY in the Hell am I even replying to this thread about an already washed up pop artist?

Old 08-29-02, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally posted by POWERBOMB
How in the hell did this thread find new life after 3 months?

It's my new favorite song and I was searching for stuff on it
Old 08-29-02, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I personally don't like Pink much at all anymore since she's basically bashing herself from just last summer when she was doing the pop thing (Lady Marmelade) and now her marketing team expects us to believe she's totally not a teen idol or like Britney at all. One must wonder how she made such as drastic change from "teen idol" in Sept. 01 at the MTV VMAs to Nov. 01 when she became a "rocker" who was not into selling out at all. Whatever, Pink.
Old 08-30-02, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's cool, GatorDeb. I do like Pink's music even if her video's leave something to be desired.
Old 08-31-02, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some see a sailboat.

I see the sailboat.
Old 09-01-02, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dolphinboy

I see the sailboat.

Wow, a Mallrats reference in a thread about Pink.

Oh and I like Pink and would like to see her pink, but the songs are getting way too old. And the Pill song,.....what the hell is that about?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.