Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Review(s) wanted: "Stan Lee's Marvels, Mutants and Monsters"

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 05-15-02, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen any reviews for this DVD online. Does anyone have the disc? Any good? Worth a purchase?
Old 05-15-02, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did NO ONE buy this DVD?!? I would think with all the hubbub over Spider-Man someone would surely have picked it up!
Old 05-16-02, 04:57 PM

yeah I picked it up on Tuesday, and watched it yesterday. The two features on the DVD are "Creating Spider-Man" and "Here Comes The Heroes". Both hosted by Kevin Smith.

when you first pop in the disc it plays the trailer for the Spider-Man movie, then the menu comes up and its on to the two features.
Creating Spider-Man is pretty self explanatory, its all about how Stan Lee came up with the ideal for Spider-Man. also talks about the 60's cartoon series as well as the new movie. Stan also talks about how his scene in Spider-Man is cut out of the film. the total time is about 45 mins.

Here Come The Heroes is about how Stan got into the job, his first comic book and what not. he also talks about all his other creations including Hulk, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Dardevil etc... He also talks about the upcoming Marvel movies, X-Men II, Daredevil, Hulk, Iron Man, Fantastic Four. He also talks about his work on DC comics as well, which is pretty entertaining. this feature also runs about 45 mins.

Kevin Smith also does a great job of interviewing Stan Lee. He ask some pretty good questions that we all wanted to know.

I paid 19.99 for this DVD. and although I did enjoy the DVD, I don't think its worth 20 bucks unless you are a huge marvel fan(and if you are a huge Marvel fan, you might already know all the stuff mentioned on the DVD). I'm just a casual fan. Never read the comics but always watched he cartoons. I'm also a big Kevin Smith fan and thats probably the main reason I picked up the DVD.

Final words: If you got the extra $20 to spend, sure go ahead and pick it up. you shouldn't be disappointed. but if not, what till you can get it for $14.99 or less
Old 05-17-02, 07:57 AM
RVP

Thanks for the review. I was interested in this disk too. I am not a huge comic fan, but Stan Lee is an awsome creative talent and a good guy. I liked listening to him on the Blade extras.
He seems to have a good relationship with Kevin Smith so i think that prob. helps the interviews. I guess I will take your advice and wait for the disk to drop. I expect it wont be at the current price for too long.
Old 05-17-02, 10:00 AM

My thought, exactly.

I couldn't justify a $20 purchase... because, when you think about it... this is something you'd love to watch on television, but I'm not certain what it being on DVD does for the experience.

I will certainly pick it up when it hits the bargain racks, though.