Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Problem with X-Box/PS2 DVD picture quality

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 05-14-02, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I first noticed this problem while playing Purple Storm (HKL PAL) on my X-Box. It's a problem with lots of blacks and shadows on screen. For instance, in Purple Storm whenever there would be a dark or night-time scene, all of the dark colors looked extremelely low-quality. I don't quite know how to explain it, but it looked like there were small to large patches of dark blue and other dark colors mixed in with what should have been a pure black image. I tried this with some of my other DVDs and I noticed the same problem. First with Cowboy Bebop and the problem was as bad as Purple Storm, especially in the episode "Toys in the Attic" where they had a lot of shadows present. Then I popped in my Episode I DVD and noticed a similar problem at the title scroll and when they showed large portions of space and darkness. It wasn't as big of a problem, but I could clearly see a ton of tiny blue patched scattered all across the image. I never noticed this before, but that was probably because I used to have a really small and crappy 20 inch T.V. where everything was a bit blurry. I recently bought a nice 25 inch Panasonic T.V. and started to notice these problems more frequently. Although, Purple Storm had the same problem on my old 20 inch T.V. So, I thought that it might have been my X-Box's fault, but when I played Rush Hour on my PS2 I noticed the same problem. This only happens when I play DVDs on those systems; video games look great. Does anybody have any idea as to what the problem is?
Old 05-14-02, 05:47 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

You have to tell people what kind of connections you use and how it is hooked up before anyone can help you.

RF Adaptor? RCA Jacks? S-Video? Component video?

Is it hooked through anything like a VCR?
Old 05-14-02, 05:50 PM

I'm using the same cables that come with every video game system, and no I don't have it running through a VCR. But I do have a VCR connected to my T.V., which I have to turn off if I want to use my X-Box.
Old 05-14-02, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are your TV's brightness and/or colour settings turned up too high? The settings that tend to look good for videogames (brighter, more contrast, more sharpness) aren't good for good DVD picture quality.
Old 05-14-02, 05:57 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by Prancetron2000
I'm using the same cables that come with every video game system. But I do have a VCR connected to my T.V., which I have to turn off if I want to use my X-Box.
I assume that means the yellow, red, and white rca jacks.

How are they connected into the TV relative to the rest of your equipment? Are the VCR and XBox running into seperate video inputs?
Old 05-14-02, 06:00 PM

The brightness is normal. There are two seperate video inputs on my T.V., but only one input mode. So I have my VCR plugged in the back and my X-Box in the front, and I have to turn one off if I want to use the other. I've tried playing the X-Box straight through the T.V. with nothing else connected, but it only makes a tiny difference.
Old 05-14-02, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, I should have said the "normal" or typical settings on a TV (ie, good for regular cable/VHS viewing) are usually too high for DVD. Really. It makes a big difference. Try renting one of those AVIA or Video Essentials discs to properly calibrate your TV for DVD playback.
Old 05-14-02, 08:01 PM

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks.
Old 05-15-02, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Related Question:

I have an XBOX and a Toshiba SD1200(the cheapest one), I am thinking giving my dad my Toshiba for fathers day and just buy the S-Video cable, 5.1 ch cable, and Dvd remote for the XBOX.

Will I notice ANY difference in picture quality between the XBOX and the Toshiba player?

Thanks Much,
Jordan
Old 05-15-02, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by boobietheclown
Related Question:

I have an XBOX and a Toshiba SD1200(the cheapest one), I am thinking giving my dad my Toshiba for fathers day and just buy the S-Video cable, 5.1 ch cable, and Dvd remote for the XBOX.

Will I notice ANY difference in picture quality between the XBOX and the Toshiba player?

Thanks Much,
Jordan
I doubt it. I do not own the XBox however people seem to say the quality of dvd playback is good.

as with all dvd players from time to time a problem might come up as companies push the technology edge and try playing with features. this would be true of the Toshiba or the XBox so really no difference.

I think you will be ok doing this
Old 05-15-02, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gcribbs

I doubt it. I do not own the XBox however people seem to say the quality of dvd playback is good.

as with all dvd players from time to time a problem might come up as companies push the technology edge and try playing with features. this would be true of the Toshiba or the XBox so really no difference.

I think you will be ok doing this
thanks gcribbs luckily i bought the service plan on my xbox, so if anything goes wrong...
Old 05-15-02, 02:20 PM

Ok, I tried toning down the brightness setting on my T.V. but I still noticed the same weird pixelation-type discoloring on my movies.
Old 05-15-02, 02:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

Ok, I tried toning down the brightness setting on my T.V. but I still noticed the same weird pixelation-type discoloring on my movies.
Do a complete calibration using Avia and see what happens.
Old 05-15-02, 03:25 PM

The playback on my Xbox was just as good as my HarmanKardon DVD50 player so I sold the HK and bought some more games.

It's a great DVD player and yes I agree that the Avia disc is the way to go.
Old 05-15-02, 03:46 PM

Where can I find one of these Avia disks?
Old 05-15-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by WOWZY
The playback on my Xbox was just as good as my HarmanKardon DVD50 player so I sold the HK and bought some more games.
Are you serious? I could tell a difference between my Toshiba SD2800 and my x-xbox. I would think the HK would at least surpass that. Did you have it calibrated correctly? Or perhaps are using an older TV?
Old 05-15-02, 09:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by jeffdsmith

Are you serious? I could tell a difference between my Toshiba SD2800 and my x-xbox. I would think the HK would at least surpass that. Did you have it calibrated correctly? Or perhaps are using an older TV?
Jeff, what connections are you using for your Xbox? IE the S-Video cables or the component cables?
Old 05-16-02, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

Jeff, what connections are you using for your Xbox? IE the S-Video cables or the component cables?
I use component despite the fact that it really does nothing for me... I originally used an Svideo cable however. Why?

I think I know what you are getting at. I used component cables for both at one time. I sold my xbox however.
Old 05-16-02, 04:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by jeffdsmith

I use component despite the fact that it really does nothing for me... I originally used an Svideo cable however. Why?

I think I know what you are getting at. I used component cables for both at one time. I sold my xbox however.
Yeah I was curious if you had hooked up the same connections

I thought your xbox broke?
Old 05-17-02, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

I thought your xbox broke?
It did. I paid 99.95 to have it fixed, and I sold it for 250.00 about 2 weeks before the drop. (thank god.)

The really good thing it that I never actually paid for it, I won in from Taco Bell. I NEVER eat there and one night my buds and I got the munchies so I agreed to go, and bang, free xbox...
Old 05-18-02, 01:32 AM

Game systems just don't hold black levels as well as a standalone DVD player. I've noticed that when comparing my PS2 to my Panasonic with DVD playback. The PS2 also has a bad red-push.
Old 05-18-02, 02:17 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
Game systems just don't hold black levels as well as a standalone DVD player. I've noticed that when comparing my PS2 to my Panasonic with DVD playback. The PS2 also has a bad red-push.

Let's not generalize here, the Xbox has excellent video output. On my Wega, the quality is as good as the Toshiba 2900 and the Samsung I've owned.
Old 05-19-02, 01:42 PM

So where can I get one of those Avia disks?
Old 05-19-02, 01:47 PM
Mod Emeritus

So where can I get one of those Avia disks?

Anywhere online, Amazon, Buy.com, Half.com, wherever. Places like Best Buy or Circuit City *might* have it, but I've never looked there.