Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

what has happened with no doubt

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-13-02, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this used to be a great band with classics like spider web, dont speak, im just a girl, and ex girlfirend. But now now we have this crap like "hella good" (the creators of south park should sue), and the god awfle "hey baby". Anybody else hate the new stuff as much as me.
Old 05-13-02, 08:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate their new stuff. I liked Tragic Kingdom and Return of Saturn(I think that was the name) was bearable.
Old 05-13-02, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i dont know why, but i know i have heard that guitar riff from some other song in hella good.
Old 05-13-02, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Agreed

No Doubt went from being good (Tragic Kingdom) to being tolerable (Return To Saturn) to being bad (the new album name(?))
Old 05-13-02, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I have all their albums including Rock Steady and like them all.
Old 05-14-02, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AGAIN!?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=158322
Old 05-14-02, 08:14 AM

I wasn't a huge Rock Steady fan when it came out, but it's grown on me. Hey Baby probably wasn't the best choice for their first single off of Rock Steady though. That being said, I just saw them in concert in Austin and it was great. They're supposed to tour again this fall and if you get a chance to see them in a small venue, it's can't miss stuff. Setlist was something like: Spiderwebs, Excuse Me Mr, Different People, Sunday Morning, Don't Speak, Just A Girl, Simple Kind of Life, Bathwater, Ex-girlfriend, New, Home Now, Hey Baby, Don't Let Me Down, Hella Good, Underneath It All, In My Head and Detective.

A pretty good mix of their classics from TK and the newer stuff. Hella Good is great live.
Old 05-14-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No Doubt is pretty cool! Some of their stuff on Rock Steady is kinda weak though.
Old 05-14-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I might be one of the few people who likes the stuff of Rock Steady better than most of their earlier stuff. I liked their first big album but really lost interest after that one. This latest one really brought me back because at least they were experimenting with different styles and trying new stuff whereas before they were really stuck in a rut IMHO. Bands don't get enough credit for branching out and trying new things because most fans are happy hearing the same old style over and over again. I prefer to hear a band develop and play with different techniques and styles over the course of their career. Just more interesting to me.
Old 05-15-02, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by badger1997
I might be one of the few people who likes the stuff of Rock Steady better than most of their earlier stuff. I liked their first big album but really lost interest after that one. This latest one really brought me back because at least they were experimenting with different styles and trying new stuff whereas before they were really stuck in a rut IMHO. Bands don't get enough credit for branching out and trying new things because most fans are happy hearing the same old style over and over again. I prefer to hear a band develop and play with different techniques and styles over the course of their career. Just more interesting to me.
I agree 100%. Rock Steady is one of my favorite albums released in the last few years - one of a very few that I listen to without skipping a single song. Granted, outside of a few of the "hit singles" from the earlier albums, I was not a big fan of No Doubt before.
Old 05-15-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw them in Austin also. I only like one song off Rock Steady - "Don't Let Me Down". The other songs did sound a little better live than on cd. I still like the early stuff from the sef-titled debut and the Beacon Street Collection better. I think a band deserves to explore new musical ideas, but this new stuff leaves me flat. I thought "Hey Baby" was a new Pink song the first time I heard it. I hope they go back to the ska/punk sound soon.
Old 05-15-02, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm not a big fan of their new stuff, but I absolutely adore the band. I like to see them perform live; they all have so much energy and are fun and refreshing to watch.
Old 05-15-02, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
rock steady took a bit of getting used to
they were sweet live a few weeks ago in Buffalo
Old 05-16-02, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know... They seem like a joke to me now. I remember when I saw them on SNL not too long ago I just kept shaking my head. Gwen was dressed all "ghetto" and I kept thinking to myself -- what the heck are they doing? I was never a big fan, but I liked Tragic Kingdom.

Now it just seems like Gwen is trying to be a pop-star ala Britany Spears.
Old 05-17-02, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gwen's songwriting is taken from however she feels at that moment. It's kinda hard to write songs such as those on Tragic Kingdom when you are a millionaire and singing on most every other artists songs.
Old 05-19-02, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like Rock Steady. It's grown on me and sounds terrific on my home theater stereo.

But then, I am not a big fan of their earlier stuff.
Old 05-19-02, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

is the guitar in "hella good" sampled since i know i have heard that riff somewhere.
Old 05-19-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
is the guitar in "hella good" sampled since i know i have heard that riff somewhere.
It sounded kinda familar to me too now that I think about it, I'm not sure though
Old 05-20-02, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by Goat3001

It sounded kinda familar to me too now that I think about it, I'm not sure though
The guitar sound and riffs remind me of Culture Club's "Miss Me Blind".
Old 06-09-02, 09:23 PM
Banned

I have always loved their music and will love them 'til the end! They rock!
Old 06-11-02, 10:21 AM

I loved "Tragic," hated "Return," and like "Rock Steady."

"Hella Good" is my favorite track from all three.

You can't please all fans. Some want the same exact sound repeatedly (resulting in less sales and critical acclaim), while others want their favorite groups to sound like what's hot now (explains their techno dance sound). Neverthelss, I consider the the ska movement dated and No Doubt be long gone if they strictly kept to it. See the Mighty Mighty Bosstones for more information.

- Matt

Last edited by MatthewCho; 06-11-02 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-11-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: what has happened with no doubt

Originally posted by Rypro 525
this used to be a great band with classics like spider web, dont speak, im just a girl, and ex girlfirend. But now now we have this crap like "hella good" (the creators of south park should sue), and the god awfle "hey baby". Anybody else hate the new stuff as much as me.
After Tragic Kingdom they went downhill, IMO. I heard them talking about the new style a while back. I then knew I woudl no longer be into their music. But, people obviously like it. $hits all over the radio here