Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you feel about tapers / bootleggers?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-13-02, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

I tape bands. I have a nice recorder and mics and love to tape bands that do not allow taping or they turn the other way regarding taping, none are "taper friendly". What burns me up however is people then SELLING these recordings and profit from MY recordings. ebay is full of them...

What are your thoughts?
Old 05-13-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Very similar to yours. I also tape a lot of bands that don't allow taping. I certainly wouldn't sell the recordings, though. I don't see any harm in me recording a concert for future listening. It's not like it's costing the band any money.
Old 05-13-02, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey, if people are taping concerts etc. for their own collection i think that's ok, but as soon as you begin distributing and selliing, then I think that is wrong. I hate seeing guys standing in a mosh pit or something holding up a small microphone though...annoying!

MATT
Old 05-13-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I have collected over 1000 hours of Grateful Dead shows. The band always allowed tapers, in fact they set up a separate "taper's section" so that those individuals could set up the equipment to get the best recording.

The band's policy is that trading shows is okay. However, when a show gets released commercially (dick's picks, arista or other official releases), then that particular show is no longer tradeable. Pretty tolerant policy if you ask me. Besides, it's going to go on regardless.

I would be more understanding of bands that prohibit taping if they would at least releases some live material commercially periodically.
Old 05-13-02, 04:20 PM

Re: How do you feel about tapers / bootleggers?

Originally posted by Chrisedge
I tape bands. I have a nice recorder and mics and love to tape bands that do not allow taping or they turn the other way regarding taping, none are "taper friendly". What burns me up however is people then SELLING these recordings and profit from MY recordings. ebay is full of them...

What are your thoughts?
Taping/bootlegging for profit is wrong. Taping for trading/reimbursement or personal use is fine. It sux if people are selling your stuff. I've seen this happen alot.

Got any Veruca Salt?
Old 05-13-02, 05:03 PM

how are they able to sell your recordings? you trade w/ them over the net? you rip em to mp3 format to be downloaded?

just curious. thanks,
Old 05-13-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yea, my U2 stuff shows up on ebay all the time. 11/13/01 11/18/01, 11/19/01

BASTARD$
Old 05-13-02, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by thgord
The band's policy is that trading shows is okay. However, when a show gets released commercially (dick's picks, arista or other official releases), then that particular show is no longer tradeable. Pretty tolerant policy if you ask me. Besides, it's going to go on regardless.
This is Phish's policy as well. String Cheese Incident could possibly have the most tolerant policy I've ever heard. They now release every single show as an official release but still allow taping at all of their shows as well.

I personally don't understand bands that forbid taping. It's a great way to allow people to gain exposure to a band's music without infringing on album sales.
Old 05-13-02, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how bad would the quality of sound be if i just took a little voice tape recorder to a show.
Old 05-13-02, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
how bad would the quality of sound be if i just took a little voice tape recorder to a show.
Bad

And I can picture you standing in the middle of a croud with your arm in the air the whole time holding a tape recorder.
Old 05-13-02, 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Chrisedge
Yea, my U2 stuff shows up on ebay all the time. 11/13/01 11/18/01, 11/19/01

BASTARD$
That's terrible. You did a great job on those shows, by the way.
Old 05-14-02, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wish someone would tape me a Rasputina concert. I feel it's a shame not to preserve performance actually, and a shame not to share them. But selling them is a whole nother ballgame.

~Scheherazade
Old 05-14-02, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Monkey! I love to see how good I can get! I've done a few more just lately. Bush @ Universal Amp. in Los Angeles and Alanis at the Joint in Las Vegas. (Alanis might be my best recording ever!)

how are they able to sell your recordings? you trade w/ them over the net? you rip em to mp3 format to be downloaded?

just curious. thanks,
They get them, they sell them!
I don't like them ripped to MP3, but it happens. I trade over the internet, and use the SHN format quite a bit. NO loss! http://www.etree.org has more info on SHN.
Old 05-14-02, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here is a sample of one song that I did....

EDITED...Sorry!
Requires Real Audio Player

Last edited by Chrisedge; 05-14-02 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-14-02, 01:13 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The etree site says....
Please Note: There is no actual music to download from here. This website simply provides the information and resources you will need to download music from Etree FTP Sites. To learn more about how this works please read this.
....so I guess it can stay until I hear otherwise.

Anyhow, this now seems to have moved on from simply "how do you feel about" to "where do I find (copyright) material".

Here is what the Forum Rules say in this regard:
The following is strictly prohibited on the DVD Talk Forum and may result in immediate account suspension [....]
• Posting Information on how to defraud any company or promotion of any kind of illegal or unethical activity
• Anything that violates the trademark or copyright of another company including anything that may violate the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
Chrisedge, please edit out that sample asap. (Naturally, I'll do it myself, if it remains there when I return to review this thread).

Benedict
Old 05-14-02, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry, about that benedict. Didn't mean to offend anyone or break any rules. While U2 is NOT a "taper friendly" band, they don't mind it it's NOT being sold. But it is a grey area and I edited the link. (which BTW is a MAJOR U2 site, with the support of band and management )

And I will add, let's not turn this into a "where can I get this" thread.
Old 05-14-02, 04:52 PM

Just to clear up any possible misconceptions...

The Etree community does not deal in illegal or copyrighted material. They are a community of people dedicated to trading live shows by bands that allow taping and do not condone copyright violations at all. More info on their legal page.