Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : One And Only Indiana Jones DVD reviews thread

palebluedot
05-13-02, 02:05 PM
Rules of this thread:

This thread is here as a review thread for the different versions of bootleg Indiana Jones Trilogy DVDs.

Please DO NOT post any links to sellers of these DVDs or name any sellers of these DVDs. Also please do not email me asking where I got these DVDs (I have already gotten a few). I did not order these online so I have no idea where to get them online...but use your imagination :)

Also let's keep the discussion civil and don't take it personally if the opinion is different than yours.

My review

My review of two different complete sets of the trilogy is basically the video quality is about on par with the widescreen VHS releases and in no way comes close to the LD versions of the trilogy.

My review of these DVDs were done by viewing them on a calibrated HDTV doing a side by side picture in picture comparison with the bootleg and the laserdisc trilogy I own and the widescreen VHS trilogy that I own.

The two sets I had were...

Set 1: Snakeskin style art in a carboard slip-case with tri fold case insert.

Set 2: Original artwork in keep-cases.

Unfortunately those pics posted in the last thread were deleted along with the thread. I didn't order these online so I don't have access to the pics. If someone has those pics please post them.

Both sets had the same exact transfer obviously from the LD, however they were very poorly done. Video was very bad and only slightly edged out the VHS in comparison. Audio did not even come close to their laserdisc counterparts.

The aspects of the video were poor detail and washed out colors. No amount of adjusting the TV had any improvment of the video quality.

Bottom line...IMO they are a waste of money if you have the VHS or LDs. I would wait for a better bootleg or the real thing.

digitalfreaknyc
05-13-02, 02:37 PM
Wow...

ok...here we go again. It's hard to Re-state everything we've already gone through with the other thread.

Supposedly there are 3 different versions:

1) Snake skin artwork with separate sleeves

2) Regular movie artwork that is a fold out with 4 panels

3) keep cases

If I am correct, all 3 have been reviewed now and it is unanimous that these discs are not worth the money that people are spending.

As for my review...I'll try and post everything again.

My package was the 4 paneled version. It came sealed in a box with a great deal of Chinese writing symbols all over it. In fact, I think it just said "raiders" and not even "of the lost ark" on it.

Each DVD was in a plastic clear case inside on each panel. The plastic cases were even starting to come off when i opened it.

The DVD's have menus with blurry images from the movie on one part of the screen and a "still" on the other. They also have music to go along with them.

You can choose to view the film, choose a soundtrack, or bonus materials.

THe bonus materials consist of a photo gallery that is nothing more than STILL FRAMES from the movies themselves. They look just like the films which we will get into later. There are also biographies of Ford and Spielberg that are totally in Chinese.

The Chapter stops are full motion. You're better off watching those for quality.

The movies themselves are all in widescreen and were apparently mastered from the laserdiscs. THey all look horrible. There is very little detail and they are pretty washed out. Very devoid of color and look quite old. Almost like you're watching it on a bad TV set.

The audio is not much better. They have fake 5.1 soundtracks as well as 2.0. The 5.1 is just ludicrous and sounds horrible. The sounds are pretty much all over the place depending on the movie. Raiders and Temple were pretty left-heavy. The 2.0 soundtracks are all front heavy. They are not indicative of the great soundtracks that are available on the laserdisc counterparts.

Final thoughts: I have the laserdiscs. They are VERY good. They sound and look excellent. I'm not telling anyone to go out and buy a laserdisc player. If you already have one, go out and get this trilogy. You won't be sorry you did. If not...either wait for better bootlegs to surface or think about purchasing even a used one. I'm all for bootlegs of these movies as well as the Star Wars ones if they refuse to be released. But at least let them be of the quality that the newest Star Wars 5 Star releases. Nothing less will be tolerated.

Paleblue...i'd like to keep this thread running as long as we can. Perhaps we should take a note from the similar Star Wars thread and post some rules and regulations...and give it an OFFICIAL thread title. We don't want to remember that other one ever happened. ;)

monkey
05-13-02, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the reviews. I think you've steered me clear of this set.

moocher
05-13-02, 05:24 PM
Wow. The whole thread deleted??!! I did not catch the tail end of the last one but it began to get bloody when I went to bed last night. Actually I am glad it was deleted. I got very confused about what was actually out there (how many different sets) and the actual quality of the set(s). I came very close to purchasing one based on what (I guess) turned out to be bad info. Thanks to digitalfreaknyc for setting me straight. At least the info in this thread is consistent so far ;).

Anyway, I would like to suggest that one of the rules be that no discussion of PRICING be allowed. I made the mistake of mentioning the price I paid for the Star Wars set and then people began posting for me to e-mail them (since my e-mail address is not in my profile - for a reason!). Other people such as astro44 are getting the same requests. Go look at how much discussion there is about pricing in the Star Wars thread. Pricing is purchase information that should not be allowed in a bootleg review thread.

One question. It appears that all of the actual disks in the various sets are the same transfers only the packaging is different. Is this an accurate assessment?

digitalfreaknyc
05-13-02, 09:29 PM
Very accurate :)

focker
05-13-02, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
If I am correct, all 3 have been reviewed now and it is unanimous that these discs are not worth the money that people are spending.I didn't see the end of the other thread and I guess it's gone now, so I may have missed something, but I thought that some people in other thread found these discs to be acceptable or even pretty good. Is there some reason we should discount these claims now?

moocher
05-13-02, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by focker
I didn't see the end of the other thread and I guess it's gone now, so I may have missed something, but I thought that some people in other thread found these discs to be acceptable or even pretty good. Is there some reason we should discount these claims now?

There were very few actual reviews in the previous thread and of those fewer still from anybody who actually had anything to compare them to. Late in the thread some such as digitalfreaknyc who actually had the laserdisks and bought a set based on the originator's review chimed in with very negative reviews.

What made this worse is that the originator slowly softened his stance about how "good" they were and ended up basically saying they were just better than VHS. That is when I went to bed. Apparently it got very ugly after that and now the thread is gone.

digitalfreaknyc, care to fill us in on what we missed?? or is that better left in the past. As curious as I am, I have a feeling we had better not revisit it.

Blade
05-14-02, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by moocher
digitalfreaknyc, care to fill us in on what we missed?? or is that better left in the past. As curious as I am, I have a feeling we had better not revisit it. No, it had better not be.

Neither party needs to address this again, and if it is mentioned again, I'm going to have to close this thread and any more like it because it is not worth the effort required to maintain civility in this thread vs. the value of this thread to our members.

If anyone wants to say anything more about this, EMAIL me.

Thank you.

rdodolak
05-14-02, 08:27 AM
Don't now how much good this may do you but I found this online

Authentic Korean Import

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/May/20025128205913682108136.jpg
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/May/20025126894945306440525.jpg

Extras: Full Chapter Selection, Cast & Director, Synopsis, Photo Gallery ('Cast & Director' and 'Synopsis' is in Korean)

Protective Outer Casing: All 3 DVD titles comes with its own cool 'Reptile-Skin' design cases and covers Protective Outer

Chinese Bootleg Copies

http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/May/20025122522429047563075.jpg
http://mediaservice.photoisland.com/auction/May/20025126940300483805526.jpg

Extras: 'Cast & Director' and 'Synopsis' for bootleg discs are ALSO in Korean -- Quite strange its NOT in Chinese! ;)

Casing: Bootleg discs have a cardboard fold-out paper case (with a transparent plastic hub) while others are enclosed in a cardboard box

digitalfreaknyc
05-14-02, 10:12 AM
And has it been established that there is actually a quality difference between the two?

digitalfreaknyc
05-15-02, 10:56 AM
How bout this one? My copy looks like neither of these copies. Besides the corners having different information on them...mine does not say "of the lost ark." Just "Raiders"

kajs
05-18-02, 12:01 AM
Got mine the other day, latest bootleg, I assume same as the 4 flap foldout, as pictured in the auction, but I received a 3 paneled one. I think the disc artwork was different, there was a lot more english on the box than the old one.

Quality: Crap. But not that crappy, as someone who's never owned the widescreen VHS's or laserdiscs, I was happy with my purchase. I'd do it again. Colors were washed out, but I prefer it to my fullscreen McDonalds copies from 10 years ago. The sound was ok on all of them, but the first 40 minutes of Temple of Doom have the voices coming out of the left speaker in the 2.0 version, 5.1 just makes everything echo.

No big deal, I'm glad I got them, better than $40 om Amazon going to Lucas for the VHS set.

Dane
05-18-02, 05:55 AM
A new set of the trilogy are expected to arrive by the end of this month. DVD9 and 3 folded.

moocher
05-18-02, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Dane
A new set of the trilogy are expected to arrive by the end of this month. DVD9 and 3 folded.

Care to enlighten us with a little more detail (if you have any)?

Given the relative quality of previous sets (or rather lack thereof) we may not be able to get anyone to take a chance on the new set for a review.

What would help is knowing whether or not the new set will be mastered by the same folks responsible for the recent Star Wars sets which are of much higher quality. Since the Star Wars sets were not covered in oriental words/symbols, maybe the appearance of the packaging/disks will give us clues.

Dane
05-18-02, 09:34 AM
From what I have picked of info on the net, its a remastered version on DVD 9. Just like the Star Wars 5 star version.

Each title comes in snakeskin 3-fold keepcase.
Not the Korean kind or any other kind for that matter. I just found I that it supposed to be out already starting this weekend.

digitalfreaknyc
05-18-02, 10:17 AM
OK...great

sounds EXACTLY like one of the other releases...

what's the deal??? Can't they come up with SOME other type of packaging for these things?

Dane
05-18-02, 10:32 AM
OK...great

sounds EXACTLY like one of the other releases...

What other releases? Do you have picture of them?

mdX
05-18-02, 01:12 PM
I'm working on a nice set of keepcase covers for the Indy discs, since most people seem unhappy with the packaging so far. I've finished the Last Crusade, which can be seen here (http://www.dvdcoverart.com/showpage.php?page=indy_lc_cstm4). any comments/suggestions are appreciated :)

digitalfreaknyc
05-18-02, 01:18 PM
Please forgive but what good are beautiful covers when the disc themselves are horrible???

And Dane...please read the above posts about these discs. What you're describing is exactly what has been out for months.

We're trying to narrow down the good from the bad and so far, there isn't any good.

mdX
05-18-02, 01:25 PM
Please forgive but what good are beautiful covers when the disc themselves are horrible???

for the people that have the discs already. If you're stuck with them, they might as well look nice on the shelf, since they can't on your set :P I personally haven't seen any of the Indy discs yet, as I'm quite content with my WS laserdiscs.

rdodolak
05-18-02, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by mdX
I'm working on a nice set of keepcase covers for the Indy discs, since most people seem unhappy with the packaging so far. I've finished the Last Crusade, which can be seen here (http://www.dvdcoverart.com/showpage.php?page=indy_lc_cstm4). any comments/suggestions are appreciated :)

This is some awesome artwork mdX! I quickly printed the coverart on my inkjet printer just to see what the quality was like. Not only can you not tell that it has been printed from an inkjet printer but the words are also legable. Where sis you get the front cover from? I can't want to see what it will look like on premium paper printed from a color laser printer. Looks like my printer dropped about a 1/2" off of the front of the cover.

The only I see is that the box for the upc code is kind of small.

Dane
05-18-02, 04:39 PM
[B

And Dane...please read the above posts about these discs. What you're describing is exactly what has been out for months.
[/B]

These are not the ones that have been out for months. From what Im told in other forums the Glassmaster, from where you make the transfer, have just finished being made.
Trust me, these are whole new set.

digitalfreaknyc
05-18-02, 05:10 PM

These are not the ones that have been out for months. From what Im told in other forums the Glassmaster, from where you make the transfer, have just finished being made.
Trust me, these are whole new set.

Regardless...

Until we see the packaging, there is going to be no way of telling the difference. And *I* for one will not be buying new discs until someone of some authority can assure us that these will be worth it.

Care to reveal your source or is this all speculation?

Dane
05-18-02, 05:36 PM

Care to reveal your source or is this all speculation?

Ive send you an e-mail. Let me no what you think.

digitalfreaknyc
05-18-02, 07:41 PM
Well...it seems to be true guys.

There is a NEW version of these discs coming out soon...as soon as this weekend apparently.

These bootleggers sure work fast.

I've got a few websites that are supposedly going to be selling them so if I decide to bite and get the new set, I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Hopefully they didn't muck it up like last time.

mdX
05-18-02, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by rdodolak
This is some awesome artwork mdX! I quickly printed the coverart on my inkjet printer just to see what the quality was like. Not only can you not tell that it has been printed from an inkjet printer but the words are also legable. Where sis you get the front cover from? I can't want to see what it will look like on premium paper printed from a color laser printer. Looks like my printer dropped about a 1/2" off of the front of the cover.

The only I see is that the box for the upc code is kind of small.

All the artwork and text were scanned from my laserdisc jacket (including the UPC). The logos are just stock ones I've come across and have accumulated. The layout/design is 100% my own though =)

check out dvdcoverart's help section for info on how to avoid losing that last 1/2". I'd also guess your inkjet will look much better than all but the best color laser.

phraseturner
05-18-02, 10:16 PM
can we expect custom covers for RAIDERS and TEMPLE OF DOOM as well? i hope so! very nice work on LAST CRUSADE.

mdX
05-19-02, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by phraseturner
can we expect custom covers for RAIDERS and TEMPLE OF DOOM as well? i hope so! very nice work on LAST CRUSADE.

you sure can, as soon as my LDs of Raiders and ToD arrive (I won them on ebay a few days back so I should have them next week sometime)

Shafted!
05-19-02, 10:40 AM
MDX, the covers look awesome. Good work!

Truffaut Fan
05-19-02, 06:44 PM
Well, I took a chance and bought Raiders the other day. I got the Korean release and it looks quite good to me. I haven't seen the Chinese versions but the Korean version I have looks as good as my LD. As a matter of fact, it looks almost identical to the LD. In any event, I will hold out on the other 2 until I see what the reviews are on the new versions.

Jeff

Frank D
05-19-02, 11:02 PM
I am glad to hear that Truffat!

How much did you pay for your copy?

Most people that buy these bootlegs already own the VHS or LD of this trilogy. The DVD disk just makes it more convienent! For the most part most people will be happy with LD quality on DVD disks for now.

Regards

digitalfreaknyc
05-20-02, 12:39 AM
Well...we're gonna need a little more information.

We have people that have purchased 3 different sets and they've all had horrible quality when direct (or non-direct) comparisons were made to the lasers.

Can you describe the packaging or how you know Korean from Chinese?

The new sets were due out this weekend. I'm waiting to hear.

Rogue588
05-20-02, 02:11 AM
Well...it seems to be true guys.

There is a NEW version of these discs coming out soon...as soon as this weekend apparently.

These bootleggers sure work fast.

I've got a few websites that are supposedly going to be selling them so if I decide to bite and get the new set, I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Hopefully they didn't muck it up like last time.

Thanks for the heads up digitalfreaknyc. I was thisclose to obtaining an old version of the trilogy, but i found this thread [and your post]. So, i think i'll hold up. [since your SW DVDs reviews were so accurate :) ]

Truffaut Fan
05-20-02, 03:06 AM
We have people that have purchased 3 different sets and they've all had horrible quality when direct (or non-direct) comparisons were made to the lasers.

Keep in mind that I compared them on a 26" monitor, so the results could be different on a large projection set. My LD player is many years old, so possibly a high-end LD player could make a difference. Anyway, on my setup I couldn't see any difference. I saw zero artifacting whatsoever, no chroma noise, no audio-sync problems, none of the problems that would keep me from keeping a bootleg. The resolution certainly isn't what you'd expect from an official release, but it seemed to be the same amount as the LD. Don't get me wrong, it isn't the most goregous DVD I've ever seen but certainly light-years better than the horror stories I read here. All I wanted was to be able to replace my LDs, now I am able to do that (although I will wait to see if the new DVDs are better before buying the other 2).

Can you describe the packaging or how you know Korean from Chinese?

I am basing it on the fact that I ordered it from a Korean etailer and mine looks identical to the Korean version pictured in this thread.

Jeff

digitalfreaknyc
05-20-02, 10:43 AM
Thanks for your comments, Rogue. Honestly, I'm a bit of a quality whore and I want everything to look and sound the best it can and I know when things aren't up to snuff.

As far as everyone emailing me to ask me about the new discs...

I am going to answer you in this forum and a private email if I get the chance.

I got A LOT of emails asking me where I got my info from and where I'm planning on purchasing them from. And I'm sorry to tell you that I'm not going to answer you. Honestly, I'd rather purchase a set myself and check out the quality rather than steer 20 people wrong...who will then go and tell ANOTHER 20 people...and soon it'll be all over the net. If these new discs are as bad as the others, then I'd rather that not happen. If they are great...I'll be the first one to open up my email address to inquiries. I'm sorry if you think it's unfair but I think it's the best way to handle the situation.

Still have to get rid of my old version on *insert auction site here* ;)

Startide
05-20-02, 11:49 AM
At times like these, I regret getting rid of my Amiga4000 along with the Video Toaster and the full-frame timebase correction gear. I know someone with a DVDRW recorder, so it would be tempting to make a few DVD backups of laserdiscs....

It seems like when one of the major bootleg chinese places reformed their company into multiple different names based upon genre (anime, cartoons, asian live-action, etc), they also discovered gatefolds and timebase correctors. Their quality has improved somewhat along with the subtitles.

digitalfreaknyc
05-20-02, 12:14 PM
Actually...

I have DVD-R copies of the laserdiscs...and thus far I am HIGHLY unimpressed with DVD-R's capabilities. I saw macroblocking galore and there were lots of problems that I haven't encountered with "bootleg" copies of movies.

Besides the fact that bootleggers can still record in 5.1 and the "lay people" cannot.

Not that this matters with Indy but it's still an issue.

They also can do dual layered discs.

They're still beyond us.

And we still buy.

Rogue588
05-20-02, 01:21 PM
Thanks for your comments, Rogue. Honestly, I'm a bit of a quality whore and I want everything to look and sound the best it can and I know when things aren't up to snuff.

As far as everyone emailing me to ask me about the new discs...

I am going to answer you in this forum and a private email if I get the chance.

I got A LOT of emails asking me where I got my info from and where I'm planning on purchasing them from. And I'm sorry to tell you that I'm not going to answer you. Honestly, I'd rather purchase a set myself and check out the quality rather than steer 20 people wrong...who will then go and tell ANOTHER 20 people...and soon it'll be all over the net. If these new discs are as bad as the others, then I'd rather that not happen. If they are great...I'll be the first one to open up my email address to inquiries. I'm sorry if you think it's unfair but I think it's the best way to handle the situation.

Still have to get rid of my old version on *insert auction site here* ;)
Nah. That's DEFINITELY the way to handle it. If these new disc turn out to be subpar, there's two possible outcomes...

They're supporting a bootlegger by purchasing this inferior product.
They'll put your head on a pike by saying "That so-and-so digitalfreaknyc...he directed me to this site so i could waste my hard earned $$$ on these pieces of s**t" [Ignoring the fact that you didn't put a gun to their head to make 'em buy them :)]

So, i guess i can wait. Hell, it's been how long now? Another couple of weeks or so won't hurt. :)

Frank D
05-20-02, 04:26 PM
Digitalfreaknyc, I second the above noted post and appreciate your above noted comments and hopefully your review once you get the new disks. Hopefully you can post your comments on this post.

digitalfreaknyc
05-21-02, 11:57 AM
Here's the newest info from my supplier:

The new version is coming out soon, we are not sure when as yet, due to a few faults, but we are expecting it to come out late this month. They will be between $34.99 to $39.99US.

I got this email today. I don't really know what a couple of things mean. He said later this month but it's already the 21st. Does that mean next week? Or did he possibly mean the end of NEXT month? I emailed him about this.

I also emailed him in regards to "a few faults." I'm assuming this means tehre was a problem with the initial pressing and they're fixing them. This may be good news. Better to catch problems before they come out than to have an Empire Strikes Back 5 Star-like problem.

I'll keep you updated as I find things out.

toucheturtle7
05-21-02, 12:17 PM
I saw the note that these are going to be mastered with DVD9 technology, what does that mean?

Londo
05-21-02, 12:20 PM
DVD9 = dual-layer disc

digitalfreaknyc
05-21-02, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Londo
DVD9 = dual-layer disc

Not that it matters. The ones we all hate were supposed to be DVD-9 as well.

Honestly, I don't know if they actually are since I never watched them all.

I couldn't be bothered.

rdodolak
05-21-02, 03:05 PM
Wow we even have superbit versions of the Indiana Jones DVDs now. Who would of ever though that Columbia Tristar also had the rights to these. ;)

http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_7d5de80edf1069681324ec1a5/i-1.JPG

Rogue588
05-21-02, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by rdodolak
Wow we even have superbit versions of the Indiana Jones DVDs now. Who would of ever though that Columbia Tristar also had the rights to these. ;)

http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_7d5de80edf1069681324ec1a5/i-1.JPG
rotfl lmMFao rotfl

what will these bootleggers think of next??

mdX
05-21-02, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Rogue588
what will these bootleggers think of next??

Superbit Deluxe, of course

mdX
05-22-02, 10:20 PM
I've finished my new Raiders cover (see here (http://www.dvdcoverart.com/showpage.php?page=rotla_cstm3)), and Temple of Doom will be up shortly.

comments/suggestions as always are appreciated

-Matt

Frank D
05-22-02, 10:47 PM
Raiders cover looks great!!! I only have a black and white laser - I need to buy a high quliaty ink jet!

caipirina
05-23-02, 01:13 PM
Sorry for my ignorance .. but my last point of knowledge was of a IJ set that is all fullscreen ! ... now i hear there are 3 (shitty) widescreens ? or has something better emerged ?

Also .. what is that five star Star Wars version (link to review NOT TO SOURCES would be nice) i already have a very early one of the SE, which sucks pretty much .. and then the one of the OV, where ep 4 is called THE new hope.

and is there FINALLY an official release date ? I have been out of the loop for a bit .. so 'xcuse me

P

vaporware
05-23-02, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by caipirina
Sorry for my ignorance .. but my last point of knowledge was of a IJ set that is all fullscreen ! ... now i hear there are 3 (shitty) widescreens ? or has something better emerged ?

Also .. what is that five star Star Wars version (link to review NOT TO SOURCES would be nice) i already have a very early one of the SE, which sucks pretty much .. and then the one of the OV, where ep 4 is called THE new hope.

and is there FINALLY an official release date ? I have been out of the loop for a bit .. so 'xcuse me

P
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=209392&pagenumber=2

Lot's of Star Wars 5 Star info in this thread.

Lane03
05-25-02, 09:33 PM
Can anyone elaborate on what the "old inferior" versions look like, and how to tell them apart from the new release? From what I understand, there was a really old version which was individual keepcases and were pan-and-scan. The newer versions are DVD-9 and widescreen format. I have seen about 4 different packaging styles of the DVD-9 widescreen. I have attached pictures of them all, can anyone tell me which one's pictured are good or bad?

http://dvdinfo.netfirms.com/indy1.jpg

http://imagehost.auctionwatch.com/bin/imageserver.x/00000000/cclamhk/indianajones.jpg1.jpg

http://dvdinfo.netfirms.com/indy3.jpg

http://dvdinfo.netfirms.com/indy4.jpg

???

EDIT: Modified pictures to remove contact info...

digitalfreaknyc
05-25-02, 09:42 PM
Thanks for posting all those pictures.

I have the second set. The one that only says "Raiders" and the rest in another language.

As far as we know, NONE of them are good quality. They're all the same horrible transfer.

The new version HAS NOT come out yet.

Thanks for the pictures!

ugabuga
05-25-02, 09:48 PM
Well i just bought the same set as lane damn so it looks like I got the old crappy versions grrrr. Guess I will have to sell it....I hope the "new" release is decent quality like the 5 star Star Wars set. That set while not nearly as good as my Lasers is definitely adequate so i am disappointed to hear how shitty the Indiana Jones sets are!

phraseturner
05-25-02, 11:04 PM
i have the second set, and my friend has the third set pictured. having viewed both on the same set-up, both look about the same picture quality-wise.

the menus have different methods of adding the Chinese choices, though. the third set pictured has the word "chinese"--but in a different font-- below the Korean subtitle menu choice (at least on the Raiders disc)

the second set pictured actually adds Chinese characters to the right of the other menu choices on most screens (to translate them, i suppose).

oh, and the third set pictured has a weird quote on the cardboard page with Indy and his machette, but the quote is about the movie "Bounce"! the bottom of the box is copyright info on MGM's Robocop discs. very surreal...

anxiously awaiting a new wave of boots with "5 star-like" quality.

Dane
05-26-02, 01:20 AM
Beside the quality of the disc, the forth set pictured last looks kinda cool. Was wondering if anyone out there could tell us somting more about it.

digitalfreaknyc
05-26-02, 01:33 AM
Beside the quality of the disc, the forth set pictured last looks kinda cool. Was wondering if anyone out there could tell us somting more about it.

Please consult the rest of this thread for the information you are looking for.

Each release is the same. They are all of horrible quality.

Joseph B
05-26-02, 08:20 AM

Since your original post was in reference to both the Star Wars Trilogy and the Indy Trilogy, it's kinda' difficult to tell which of those titles you're referring to.

In the case of the Indy Trilogy, there is speculation that "studio politics" between LucasFilm and Paramount have conspired to keep those discs off the market. Probably the only event large enough now to force a release of these discs would be an Indy 4 movie, assuming that it's done through Paramount and not Dreamworks. Since they haven't even started production of Indy 4 yet, we probably have a long wait for these discs.

In the case of the original Star Wars Trilogy, there has been quite a bit of definitive information that has come out over the course of the past 2 weeks. LucasFilm, through Rick McCallum, has stated there there will be no original Star Wars Trilogy releases to DVD of any kind until after Episode 3 is released in May 2005. (This doesn't necessarily mean that we'll get the Trilogy in 2005; most observers think that we'll get the Episode 3 disc in late 2005, followed by the original trilogy in late 2006 or early 2007, which is the 30th anniversary of the first Star Wars film.) A few days after McCallum made this statement Lucas was quoted as stating that not only would the OT not be released until sometime after the release of Episode 3 in 2005, but that the Classic Original Trilogy (in other words, the "Han shoots first" films) would probably never be released to DVD.

So ... that pretty much catches you up on this situation with these two classic franchise trilogies.

By the way, it's estimated that LucasFilm will lose, conservatively, a half-billion dollars over the course of the next 4 years by keeping these films off the market. (This is based on estimates of DVD going into 60 million homes by 2005 plus the fact that demand for the OT should peak in April-May 2005, just before the release of Episode 3.) According to what I've heard, this was mentioned to a spokesperson for LucasFilm who simply shrugged when asked about it. It's amazing that the old adage that "Money Talks" has no meaning for LucasFilm.

ransome
05-27-02, 01:57 PM
I am like everyone else here,trying to find a watchable version of the trilogy.Looked at everything on Deleted - Static..very confusing,glad you are all here to let us know how crappy these all are.

If anyone views one of the newer releases and finds it alright please email me...

Startide
05-27-02, 02:30 PM
Hmm, the old boots are running about $7.50 each (after tax) and the new ones cost only $2 more. The stores selling boots haven't gotten the new ones yet, so I am excited. Unfortunately, the only way that I can see how good the "new" ones are is to buy one. In the past, sometimes a "new" re-release of a boot wasn't any better (all that was changed was the email address of the boot seller printed on the back, which was the reason to re-release another "version" of the boot with new printing for the changed email).

digitalfreaknyc
05-27-02, 10:19 PM
Startide...

You're going to have to elaborate. Please do not use "new" and "old" to describe these. All of the widescreen versions hit at the same time essentially and we are waiting for the official "NEW" ones to hit now. They have been delayed. There is no difference in any of the widescreen versions out now and all were released around the same time. Possibly you mean the "old" as the P&S versions.

RoboDad
05-27-02, 11:03 PM
digitalfreaknyc,

I understand that you consider the quality of these discs to be horrible. However, your basis for comparison is the laserdisc presentation of the films, which I would expect to be very good. And, unfortunately, this comparison does not offer any value to someone who does not own the laserdiscs (or a laserdisc player), but only has access to the Indy trilogy on VHS (in pan and scan, no less). So, given the choice of watching your P&S VHS copies of the movies, or these (admittedly subpar) DVDs, which would you choose? And "neither" is not an option :).

digitalfreaknyc
05-27-02, 11:25 PM
I would choose the WIDESCREEN VHS that was released in the last few years.

That is your best bet.

:)

palebluedot
05-27-02, 11:31 PM
I would choose the WIDESCREEN VHS that was released in the last few years.

That is your best bet.

:)

Agreed...the DVDs are comparable to the VHS.

RoboDad
05-28-02, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by palebluedot

Agreed...the DVDs are comparable to the VHS.

But if the DVDs are comparable to the widescreen VHS version, then the DVDs are still the better deal (if only because DVD is a better medium than VHS). Or are you saying that the DVDs are worse than the VHS versions? And, if so, can you provide specifics? (I'm not trying to be belligerent, I'm just trying to separate opinions from "clinical" differences)

Chrisedge
05-28-02, 10:14 AM

Besides the fact that bootleggers can still record in 5.1 and the "lay people" cannot.

Acutally you should read some of the boards at doom9. Someone there has created a animorphic, dvd-r with 5.1, commentary of the pal star wars laserdisc....

BUT I do know it's very frustrating to deal with a DVD burner... :( I spent 5 weeks working on a concert boot, my friend recorded...(from Hi8>Digital8 playback>firewire>etc...)

kajs
05-30-02, 10:44 PM
What is the best way to watch Temple of Doom? In 5.1 the voices are from the back left speaker as mentioned before, and the pro-logic is very front left heavy with a right echo.

http://ww2.netnitco.net/users/007/indydvd.jpg

This is my set, which seems to be different from the ones pictured above. It has the 3 subtitle options. The discs, I think, are from the 2nd set with the 3rd set box.

I just finished Raiders and I am very happy I got it. For never seeing it in widescreen, I think it was a decent purchase.

Disc-Flipper
05-31-02, 08:23 PM
I bought the same set as kajs (immediately above) and I rate the quality 6.5/10. I wouldn't use the word "horrible" to describe them. They're almost as good as the VHS, but suffer from low colour, some softness (which the original movies likely were), noticeable electrical speckles on the screen and video noise on the opening credits of all three movies. They're about as good as the Star Wars Original Edition Bootlegs, except no audio sync problems. I can't really judge the sound quality, because I am only running them through stereo TV speakers. I'm fairly satisfied with the set. The fold-out packaging was crappy. The glue holding the plastic trays onto the cardboard didn't hold during transport. I'll be putting them in nicer covers from dvdcoverart.net anyways.

kajs
05-31-02, 09:03 PM
I agree with everything Disc-Flipper said execpt the audio problem, which is a pain if your DVD player is run through your receiver.

moocher
05-31-02, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Disc-Flipper
They're almost as good as the VHS...

I think a better way to phrase a statement like that is:

"They're even WORSE than VHS."

digitalfreaknyc
06-03-02, 10:58 AM
No news really...but just wanted to let you know.

I got word from my supplier and here's the latest word:

"The new sets are not yet available. We are waiting for them."

So nothin :(

DavidH
06-03-02, 12:41 PM
digitalfreaknyc,

Is it expected that better editions will come soon?

digitalfreaknyc
06-03-02, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by DavidH
digitalfreaknyc,

Is it expected that better editions will come soon?

Please read my above posts.

This is what I have stated.

Disc-Flipper
06-03-02, 01:02 PM
Uh, oh... I'm noticing a lot of annoying pixellation and breakup on Raiders and Temple of Doom in the middle chapters of the movie. I did an extensive cleaning and reduced much of the glitches, but not all of them. It could be bad authoring, or some incompatibility with my Panasonic A120 AND Creative Labs DVD-Rom players. Someone else with the sets, have you watched all the way through without any problems? How do I tell if I have the Korean set or the Chinese copies ?

digitalfreaknyc
06-03-02, 03:05 PM
wait...i want to know where this rumor came from that there is actually a difference in quality between the Korean and Chinese versions. As far as we know...they all suck.

Lane03
06-03-02, 03:22 PM
The Korean version is the one that comes with the reptile style cases. As far as if there is any difference, I don't have a clue...

uter
06-03-02, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Disc-Flipper
How do I tell if I have the Korean set or the Chinese copies ?
The best way to tell - if it has Chinese subtitles then it's a Chinese copy.

kajs
06-03-02, 05:46 PM
I noticed on the chinese version, the subtitle menu only has selections for english and korean, but during the movie another is available.

Lane03
06-03-02, 09:38 PM
Did anyone else notice the sound delay on The Last Crusade? It was especially obvious during the scene when Indy is trying to smash the floor in the library as the librarian is stamping the books. The crash noise is supposed to happen at the same time the stamp hits the book, but is delayed. So the crash noise happens while the stamp is still in the air, pretty funny...

uter
06-04-02, 10:18 AM
I didn't notice a sound delay on my copy. The stamp and crash were in synch.
Disc-Flipper - I didn't see any pixellation on my copy (Korean). However I haven't seen the Chinese versions so I couldn't make any educated comparisons.

Zodo
06-04-02, 11:12 AM
Deleted. No discussion about where to buy bootlegs in this thread. This includes begging for that information. Just reviews. - Static

digitalfreaknyc
06-04-02, 11:21 AM
The new Indy set has not been released yet...and we don't know when it's happening.

It's on hold right now.