Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Need a review for "The Others"

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 05-13-02, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This seems like the only real thing coming out this week so is it any good.
Old 05-13-02, 02:31 PM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's DVDFile's review:
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...hers_2001.html

I decided to buy this after reading it. It received pretty good reviews in the theater, and I like Nicole Kidman. Also sounds like a good DVD with good video and sound (no DTS though). DVDFile wasn't too impressed by the supplements, but the movie sounds good enough to make up for that.

-David
Old 05-13-02, 09:20 PM

Saw it in the theater and loved it. Will be picking it up tomorrow. If you like ghost stories it's one of the best that has come out in quite a few years. Nicole Kidman does a great job and the acting all around is excellent. Not a movie to get if you are expecting/wanting gore. It's more in the gothic style of horror. The entire movie is creepy as hell and it has some good scares.
Old 05-14-02, 11:42 AM

How would you rate the movie compared to "The House on Haunted Hill", and "The Haunted?"
Old 05-14-02, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just finished this film and I must say I was very pleasantly suprised of how good this film was. I must also add that I got my new Toshiba SD9200 test driven for the first time with this film as well, and it really kicked the sound up from the dirt all the way up into the sky. I mean, I heard the voices as if the were in the room with me, very creepy. I also jumped a couple of times. This is a film that should be in your collection, a very good film. However, something were missing and the theme seemed almost borrowed from a particular film, nevertheless, a very good film.

I give it 9/10.

DVD SMURF

Last edited by DVD Smurf; 05-14-02 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-15-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's 11 reviews to help you decide. hehehehe!

http://www.dvd-basen.dk/uk/resultat....egion=1&land=%

cheers, Tony Block
Old 05-16-02, 10:27 PM

I thought the movie was great but I won't buy it unless I find cheap, also considering any extras.
I never get scared a second time but if the price was right it would be nice to have in my collection.
Old 05-17-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally posted by Citizen
How would you rate the movie compared to "The House on Haunted Hill", and "The Haunted?"
Puts both of those to shame. So much better I can't even really compare them, to be honest. It's an excellent movie, and while some people are disappointed in the lack of extras, it was done as a 2-disc set so at least there (probably) won't be the "double-dipping" we've all come to expect (i.e. no Ultimate Limited Extra Special Edition).
Old 05-23-02, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched the DVD last night. Did not live up to my expectations, although I did like the twist. I was rolling my eyes a few times because I find these kinds of movies a bit cheesy. I think I had expected more because of the director and Kidman.
Old 05-23-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by uteotw

Puts both of those to shame. So much better I can't even really compare them, to be honest. It's an excellent movie, and while some people are disappointed in the lack of extras, it was done as a 2-disc set so at least there (probably) won't be the "double-dipping" we've all come to expect (i.e. no Ultimate Limited Extra Special Edition).

I agree. IMHO, you can't really compare the three. The Others was one of the best films I saw last year. I highly recommend it

Last edited by amplified; 05-23-02 at 03:56 PM.
Old 05-28-02, 03:46 PM
Max

I really wasn't sure what to expect and couldn't believe how well I liked it! In fact I even enjoyed it the second time around just as much...it's fun watching it with someone who hasn't seen it. Sounds and looks great, very atmospheric and I thought some of the extras ie the special effects before and after shots were pretty cool.

I'd recommend it.
Old 05-28-02, 05:15 PM

I finally got the movie and was a but disapointed. I think its my fault for all the hype I was paying attention to. What also ruined this movie for me was postings from other sites saying how simular this movie is to 6th Sense.

Oh well I needed more scary movies in my collection anyway.
Old 06-01-02, 01:07 AM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

good show but only enough the watch once. u know the ending and it is boring to watch again. sort of like the sixth sense.
Old 06-01-02, 09:08 AM

I would agree with ntuc and go so far as to say that I thought it a cheap Sixth Sense rip off...
Old 06-01-02, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched one time....just listed on ebay for sale. I thought the acting was good(Kidman and the two children).....good twist to the story for a one time viewing but not much replay value for me.
Old 06-02-02, 09:48 AM
Cool New Member

I am not sure I saw the same film everyone else did. I thought it was dreadful. Slow. Not especially clever. And who annointed Nicole Kidman as this great actress? At least it was not as bad as that unbearable "Moulin Rouge".