Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Around may 23rd I believe.
Old 05-13-02, 10:46 AM

Whenever it is, it's not soon enough!
Old 05-13-02, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
When the hell is that mother *&$&#^ coming out on XBox!?????
Old 05-13-02, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trelach24
My guess is, if it's not announced by E3, it's not. Future GTA titles may come to the xbox though.
Old 05-13-02, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Microsoft has been kind of dodgey about that question. If they want more people to buy this console they really need to get on the ball and release some of these most wanted 3rd party titles.

Robb
Old 05-13-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I partially decided on the XBox because GTA3 was listed as a March/Spring release!
Old 05-13-02, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I partially decided on the XBox because GTA3 was listed as a March/Spring release!
It was never officially announced. There was lots of talk about it, but Take2 never actually committed to it. They did commit to a PC port, so everybody thought it was natural that an XBox port would arrive as well, but to this day, whenever Take2 talks about the PC release, they neglect to make any mention of the XBox.

Maybe they thought it'd be a good idea to make the XBox version a huge secret and make it a big surprise for E3. That would have been a stupid idea as far as I'm concerned, but basically, I'd agree with dfbennett. Unless MS or Take2 announces it or at least mentions it at E3, I'd write off GTA3 on the XBox completely.
Old 05-13-02, 09:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've never seen any official word from Rockstar on GTA3 for the Xbox, whereas the PC version was announced months ago.

I'd prefer they build GTA4 from the ground up as an Xbox exclusive that really utilizes the hardware, rather than giving Xbox owners a crappy port of a game tweaked for outdated technology. That would, plus the rumored $199 price tag, would be a system seller for the Xbox.
Old 05-13-02, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
I've never seen any official word from Rockstar on GTA3 for the Xbox, whereas the PC version was announced months ago.

I'd prefer they build GTA4 from the ground up as an Xbox exclusive that really utilizes the hardware, rather than giving Xbox owners a crappy port of a game tweaked for outdated technology. That would, plus the rumored $199 price tag, would be a system seller for the Xbox.
GT4 will not be XBox exclusive if it does come out for the xbox. I believe Rockstar has already said it is in development for the PS2. Plus, they'd be stupid not to make it for the PS2. They've sold more copies of GTA3 for the PS2 than they have XBox consoles.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 05-13-02 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-14-02, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by belboz

It was never officially announced. There was lots of talk about it, but Take2 never actually committed to it. They did commit to a PC port, so everybody thought it was natural that an XBox port would arrive as well, but to this day, whenever Take2 talks about the PC release, they neglect to make any mention of the XBox.

Maybe they thought it'd be a good idea to make the XBox version a huge secret and make it a big surprise for E3. That would have been a stupid idea as far as I'm concerned, but basically, I'd agree with dfbennett. Unless MS or Take2 announces it or at least mentions it at E3, I'd write off GTA3 on the XBox completely.
Actually, it was officially announced in Feb 2001 for the Xbox. It was never officially cancelled. Then again, games are hardly ever officially cancelled; they just fall off the radar. The PC version is hardly a port of the PS2 version. Graphics are considerably improved.

Rumor has it that Sony had an exclusive window on this title for 6 months. So, it would have expired in April. You're right that if it isn't announced it isn't coming. Something GTA related is coming to the Xbox though.
Old 05-17-02, 01:05 PM

WOOT!! GTA3 has gone gold and will ship to stores on the 21st and be able to purchase on the 22nd!!!! Glad there was no delay!! So much for taking a vaction for memorial day weekend!

http://www.gonegold.com/
Old 05-17-02, 02:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Bubbs21
WOOT!! GTA3 has gone gold and will ship to stores on the 21st and be able to purchase on the 22nd!!!! Glad there was no delay!! So much for taking a vaction for memorial day weekend!

http://www.gonegold.com/
I'm eyeballing this, I wonder if something like a GF2 would handle it?
Old 05-17-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by badlieut

Actually, it was officially announced in Feb 2001 for the Xbox. It was never officially cancelled. Then again, games are hardly ever officially cancelled; they just fall off the radar. The PC version is hardly a port of the PS2 version. Graphics are considerably improved.

Rumor has it that Sony had an exclusive window on this title for 6 months. So, it would have expired in April. You're right that if it isn't announced it isn't coming. Something GTA related is coming to the Xbox though.
I think our definition of "official announcement" is different. While it's certainly possible that I missed it, I don't recall ever seeing an official statement from Take2 stating their definite intention to release GTA3 for XBox. If you go to their website, there's no mention of it. And I've done searches for press releases that mention it, but that turned up nothing. It'd be odd that a game of this magnitude would be "officially announced" yet not merit a press release. Of course, like I said, they could just be saving it for a surprise.

BTW, we can get into a discussion about the semantics of the word "port," but I'd rather not. Suffice it to say that strictly speaking, you probably are correct that the PC version is not a port, however, I was using the word in its common, more general sense.