Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Enya and Pink Floyd fans

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Enya and Pink Floyd fans

Old 05-12-02, 04:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enya and Pink Floyd fans

Yea I know, wierd combination, but I'm a wierd person...anyway, what tracks from these two would you recommend to a new listener? From Enya I've only heard "May it Be" (guess from where) and from Pink Floyd I've heard "Wish you were here" and "Comfortably Numb".
Old 05-12-02, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I feel a bit weird recommending Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" just because it's such a mammothly overplayed recording, but in my mind it's easily their best album.

For Enya, I'd go with "Watermark" or "Shepherd Moons" as her best stuff.
Old 05-12-02, 12:26 PM

For Enya, " Only Time"

For Pink Floyd : Mother, Hey You, Brain Damage, Eclipse, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Us and Them.
Old 05-12-02, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

And don't forget, prior to embarking on a solo career, Enya was part of Clannad.
Old 05-12-02, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a fan of both artists.

For Enya, I recommend starting with "Watermark". I think that was the pinnicle of her career, though many people think that came with Shepherd Moons, which is also worth picking up. Her first album isn't as polished, and the later stuff is a bit derivative. If you're just grabbing songs off Kazaa or whatever, I recommend starting with On Your Shore, Orinoco Flow, Exile, Watermark, Evening Flows, Carribean Blue, Shepherd Moons, Lothlorein.

Pink Floyd really needs to be listened to as a full CD. Some songs stand on their on just fine, but most of the albums are conceptual, and are stronger when listened to as a whole. The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon are the definitive works, but Wish You Were Here is one of the few where every song on the album could be considered one of their best works.

Favorite songs that stand alone pretty well:
Welcome to the Machine
Have a Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Another Brick in the Wall (part 2)
Hey You
Comfortably Numb
Time
Money
Learning to Fly
High Hopes
Old 05-12-02, 04:38 PM
Banned

Originally posted by einTier:
Favorite (Pink Floyd) songs that stand alone pretty well:
Welcome to the Machine
Have a Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Another Brick in the Wall (part 2)
Hey You
Comfortably Numb
Time
Money
Learning to Fly
High Hopes
Someone's a fan of the Wish you were here album. My list of best standinga alone songs would be:
Comfortably Numb
Hey You
Money
Another Brick in the Wall Part 2
Mother
Brain Damage-Eclipse
Wish You Were Here
Shine on You Crazy Diamond
Old 05-13-02, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by BenFolds

Someone's a fan of the Wish you were here album.
It's funny you would say that, I don't even own a copy of it. I just started listing the songs I think are better than most and can stand alone, and when I looked at the list, I realized every song from Wish You Were Here was on it.

However, I don't think it's their best work or the best first album, I think it's too short, and a bit more disjointed than many of their other works. To me, DSoTM and The Wall are definitive works, and their whole is greater than the sum of their parts.

But, as I tried to express, I think every song on Wish You Were Here is worthy of the title "hit song", and thus, is one of their most consistently good works. However, I don't think it's the best work. I notice you also pick three of the five songs (Shine On is actually two parts for those who don't know) on that album.