Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Peter Murphy - 5/11/02

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Peter Murphy - 5/11/02

Old 05-12-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peter Murphy - 5/11/02

Battling a recently aquired cold, I headed out to the Vic Theater tonight here in Chicago to see someone whose work I was only somewhat familiar with: Peter Murphy. My only discs are one by Bauhaus and Murphy's solo album Deep. Having been whimsically tempted to blow this show off due to feeling under the weather; what a mistake that would have been.

Peter is the consumate showman: dancing, acting, etc... His rappore with the crowd was wonderful. At one point, he asked if anybody had any questions and handed the mic to someone in the crowd. It was great to see Peter be so wrapped in the song, then be able to connect with the audience afterward. At one point he exhibited a bit of self-depacrating humour when he mentioned a line he had just sung. "'I'll be waiting in the driver's car', I know I'm eccentric, but...." And despite him being an icon of goths everywhere, they closed the set with T-Rex's Bang a Gong. Very cool indeed.

The opening act was but one man with a guitar: Michael J. Sheehy. I ended up buying both his CDs after his performance, where I ran into him talking to a friend of mine. A very cool singer-songwriter from England. His ballad about a pissed apostle of Christ who is dubbed patron saint of drinkers is great.