Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Does R. Kelly's lawsuits affect your decesion 2 buy his music?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Is R. Kelly guilty of sex w/underage girls?
Hell Yes!
41.18%
Hell No!
23.53%
Who cares? / Don't have an opinion.
35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-11-02, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By now you've heard that R, Kelly is up to his 12 Plays in lawsuits invovlving sex with underage girls and videotaping the events. The poll above asks if you think, based on what you know of the case, he is guilty or not.

But this thread is about his music. He has put out quite a few uplifting "spiritual" songs. It's hard to believe he would be stupid enough to commit this crime and to video tape it.

I think his music is starting to suffer. He used to be a mainstay on the local urban radio shows, now they hardly play his music. His last cd (a duets cd with Jay Z) is a commercial flop. He can only get on BET nowadays if he is discussing the lawsuits.

There have always been rumours of his affairs with young girls (including a marraige to then 15 year old protege Aaliah). But do you think he can ever recover from all this chaos? Or is this too much for this guy to handle?
Old 05-11-02, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nope, I had no hard feelings buying Best of Both Worlds.
Old 05-11-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always thought most of his work was worthless in the first place. I still do, so his pedophilia hasn't changed my opinion on whether to buy his music...

The Best of Both Worlds... but both of them suck!
Old 05-11-02, 02:48 PM

I used to be an R. Kelly fan. I bought his first two records. But, once that thing happened with Aaliyah, I stopped listening to him. I can't support someone like him.
Old 05-11-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't buy R. Kelly's music anyway... but if I was a fan, his lawsuits would stop me. Scum bags like him don't deserve money from me.
Old 05-11-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I tried to listen to his last album after all this but I just couldn't. I usally do not care what famous people do in their private lives but this just crosses the line in my book. He made pretty good music too.
Old 05-12-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But assuming the youngest girl he has ever been with was 14 years old (Aailyah was 15 i think), why are we letting that affect our buying purchases? I'm not suporting what he is accused of, but rather I'm saying that many 14 - 15 year olds are engagin in activities that shouldn't happen until much later. Look at Traci Lords.

This guy can still make great R&B music (except for Both Worlds which just sucked), but is being overshadowed by the lawsuits. At the same time we buy cds from druggies, murders and other equally immoral artists.
Old 05-12-02, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by POWERBOMB
But assuming the youngest girl he has ever been with was 14 years old (Aailyah was 15 i think), why are we letting that affect our buying purchases? I'm not suporting what he is accused of, but rather I'm saying that many 14 - 15 year olds are engagin in activities that shouldn't happen until much later. Look at Traci Lords.
Because a 14 year old is a child. Sure, many 14 year olds think that they're "grown ups". That doesn't provide any justification for an adult to have sex with them (isn't there actually video evidence that he forced these girls to allow him to piss on them?). I've never liked R. Kelly's music, but even if I did, there's plenty of other R&B artists. I don't have to give my money to a pedophile.
Old 05-12-02, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope, I still won't buy his stuff

~Scheherazade
Old 05-12-02, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

POWERBOMB, you really don't find it strange for someone his age to be with a 14-year-old? Because Traci Lords started as a youngster, that makes it right? Think about what you are saying.

I couldn't tell you the difference between R. Kelly and any other current R&B singer. The stuff doesn't resonate with me at all. After the 70's it just got to be horribly boring. Anyway, you mention we buy stuff from druggies and murderers, etc. Um, not really. I am SURE that some of the music I have bought in the past was drug influenced. No doubt about that. But the difference in many instances is that I don't buy music that is celebrating drug use or celebrating sex (in a cheesy or boastful way)... even in rap when artists boast of shooting people and stuff. Probably just an act, an image, but it's not what I'm into.

I've never been the kind of person to boycott stuff. R. Kelly isn't a factor in my music buying or listening. But if I WAS a big fan, I'm not sure how I would answer your question. Maybe I would wait to see what the outcome is of his lawsuits. Most likely what I would do is not buy his current music, but not have a problem listening to older recordings.
Old 05-13-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by atlantamoi
POWERBOMB, you really don't find it strange for someone his age to be with a 14-year-old? Because Traci Lords started as a youngster, that makes it right? Think about what you are saying.
I'm not condoning any sexual interxourse with what I would also call a minor. My query is about the legion of "fans" and media outlets who are turning a cold shoulder to this man based on accuisations. The same "fans" and media outlets who make heros of Drug abuses and murderers who also are entertainers.

R. Kelly hasn't been found guilty of anything but a hugh appetite for sex. But his music is being sent through the ringers. I guess my thought is "hate the man, but don't hate the music."

FYI, there are a lot of states and areas that allow marraiges between minors and adults. So this shouldn't shock anybody. I am not in support of this obvious morally incorrect behavior. I just don't see why his music is suffering amid rumors and not facts.
Old 05-13-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they actually both denied it, they both said it was a rumor, if it was true, well, thats a different story.
Old 05-13-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,645 Likes on 1,831 Posts
I can't stand R Kelly's "music," so it doesn't influence my opinion of his music either way.

Nothing could make me buy that tripe he releases.