Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Why doesn't anyone like my taste in music?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-10-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I admit I listen to music that isn't really mainstream, but I can't believe how people's brains are so tuned to the top 40's that they just can't listen to anything else.

I popped a Cake cd into the hi-fi at work and no one liked it. The customers hated it and my co-workers hated it. They all asked to turn it down even though the volume was rather low anyway.

Is there something wrong with me?

I don't listen to loud deafening droning music or anything with a constant beat. I like interesting music, so I listen to Cake, Something for Kate, The Tea Party, Placebo and some Fatboy Slim, Moby etc.

I don't know if this needs to be moved to the music forum cause it's more of a social commentary on how people don't like anything they're not used to, even if it's good music.
Old 05-10-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If people are complaing about Cake, then yeah, they are the ones with the problem.
Old 05-10-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is not that people do not like music that are not used to, it is that you are listening to music that has a lot of repetitive beats. Placebo.. argh, can't say enough bad things about this band. Moby is great, but then again you have the first 30 or so seconds of new sound, then it just repeats for most of his stuff. Same for Fat Boy Slim. Never heard of Something for Kate so I do not know anything about their style of music.

Choose some music that does not wear on the mind, and you might find more responsive listeners IMO.
Old 05-10-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DodgingCars
If people are complaing about Cake, then yeah, they are the ones with the problem.
Thanks for the support.
I'm starting to feel a bit better now
Old 05-10-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cake rules!
Old 05-10-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Dude, you need to play that Party Hard garbage 24/7. People go nuts for stupid-ass music.
Old 05-10-02, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
I admit I listen to music that isn't really mainstream.

Moby, etc.

It doesn't get much more mainstream than Moby. I hear him all over MTV, the radio, and many commercials. He may not have started out that way, but Moby is now part of the popular.
Old 05-10-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DTSC
Dude, you need to play that Party Hard garbage 24/7. People go nuts for stupid-ass music.
I do not understand why this song is popular.
Old 05-10-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by DTSC
I hate that song! There's some line about not changing the radio station, which is usually right around when I've reached the remote to do so.

Cake kicks ass.
Old 05-10-02, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

fmian, I don't think there's anything wrong with you. Listen to what you like and don't worry about what others think. Although it stinks you can't listen to what you might like around others.

If I judged what everyone likes by watching TV I would think that slow moving, cheese-infested, sexed up R&B/Rap was all the whole world was into.
Old 05-10-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tjr2mental
It is not that people do not like music that are not used to, it is that you are listening to music that has a lot of repetitive beats. Placebo.. argh, can't say enough bad things about this band. Moby is great, but then again you have the first 30 or so seconds of new sound, then it just repeats for most of his stuff. Same for Fat Boy Slim. Never heard of Something for Kate so I do not know anything about their style of music.

Choose some music that does not wear on the mind, and you might find more responsive listeners IMO.
I suppose Placebo can be annoying, but I didn't play that. I'd understand if people didn't like that. With the gay voice and all.

As for music that doesn't wear on the mind. If I wanted that I'd go stand in an elevator for an hour I listen to music because I want to listen to it. Not because I don't want to listen to it.

Something For Kate are a great Australian band. Do a search for them. Some good songs are Monsters, The Astronaught, Happy Endings, and Whatever You Want.
Old 05-10-02, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Dissenting opinion

Andrew W. K. makes gleefully stupid buttrock. He knows it's cheese, but he doesn't care, throwing himself into it with the intensity and commitment of a method actor doing a laxative commercial. It doesn't hurt that the songs do rock.

Cake writes smirky college rock and performs it with a smug air of ironic detachment. The songs don't really matter because we're all too cool to let songs matter -- and, hey, you are, too! (wink, wink)

If I had to choose between earnest obliviousness and forced hipness I know which one I'd pick. But, as was already said, listen to what you enjoy.
Old 05-10-02, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Dissenting opinion

Originally posted by dork
Andrew W. K. makes gleefully stupid buttrock. He knows it's cheese, but he doesn't care, throwing himself into it with the intensity and commitment of a method actor doing a laxative commercial. It doesn't hurt that the songs do rock.

Cake writes smirky college rock and performs it with a smug air of ironic detachment. The songs don't really matter because we're all too cool to let songs matter -- and, hey, you are, too! (wink, wink)

If I had to choose between earnest obliviousness and forced hipness I know which one I'd pick. But, as was already said, listen to what you enjoy.
I don't know what you wrote but I don't like it
Old 05-10-02, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Dissenting opinion

Originally posted by fmian

I don't know what you wrote but I don't like it

Neither do I.
Old 05-10-02, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Dissenting opinion

Neither do I.
Nevertheless here is my interpretation of what you wrote. I admit, I had to think about it, and keep in mind that I have no idea who Andrew W.K. is and have never heard his/their music.

I like Andrew W.K. because of the way he looks and presents himself. I know that he makes 'for the masses' music but I admire him for the fact that he can take advantage of that market. I like the way he struts on stage as well. I love you Andrew W.K.

I don't like Cake because I can't understand the meaning behind the lyrics, in the same way that I can't appreciate Picasso, Salvadore Dali and Dr. Seuss books. Maybe I should stop analysing music and just appreciate it for the sound it makes. I know that goes against the grain of what my arts degree has taught me, but what the hell.

To tell you the truth I don't like any kind of music, but I don't want to say that infront of everyone on this forum.

No offense meant dork. Sometimes I just have to make fun of things when the opportunity arises.
Old 05-10-02, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dissenting opinion

No offense meant dork. Sometimes I just have to make fun of things when the opportunity arises.
I was going to prolong the hilarity by willfully mischaracterizing what you wrote, but instead I'll just suggest that in the future you somehow indicate that disagreement with your tastes causes you anguish. That way I would have just posted "Your coworkers are DUMB and you are SMART!" like you wanted and you wouldn't have become unhappy.
Old 05-10-02, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dissenting opinion

I took out the double negatives and unnecessary over-complication in your post and this is what I was left with.

"Your coworkers are DUMB and you are SMART!"
Thanks. I really appreciate it

By the way, what music DO you listen to?
Old 05-10-02, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
annoy the hell out of the co workers by blasting soad, track 6 and 12. You dont turn it off until the songs are over. They will have both songs stuck in their heads for the rest of the day.

by the way. cake kicks ass (well, except for "short skirts, long jackets")
Old 06-09-02, 09:27 PM
Banned

Cake is one of the best bands ever! I am glad to see someone who likes Cake as well! Cake Rules!
Old 06-09-02, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw Cake right before I moved from Austin when they did the Rock The Roses benefit concert with STP and Crystal Method. They jam in concert
Old 06-09-02, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If everyone likes the same music you do, you're not trying hard enough.
Old 06-10-02, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts
Dude, as a black guy who's music ranges from Heavy Metal to CLASSICAL I know what you mean .

While my friends are blasting DMX, Lauryn Hill, and OUTKAST(great group)...I'm blasting RUSH, KITTIE, BJORK, BOWIE, and many other groups that generally don't appeal to Black audiences.
Old 06-11-02, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
Dude, as a black guy who's music ranges from Heavy Metal to CLASSICAL I know what you mean .

While my friends are blasting DMX, Lauryn Hill, and OUTKAST(great group)...I'm blasting RUSH, KITTIE, BJORK, BOWIE, and many other groups that generally don't appeal to Black audiences.
LOL!

wait a minute, i'm black too... what's that in my sig. yikes.

i listen to whatever. i'll pick up some stuff from top 40 now and then though i'm usually late about it since i don't listen to the radio. i'll play some good bay area 'ride on your enemies' mobb music and then follow it up with Tool's Undertow CD. if ya like it then good. does the radio only playing the same 20 songs over and over influence people to like it or is it vice versa? i dont know. i dont care. i know what i like and understand that other people might not. hell, i spin (dj) drum n bass and most people i know have no idea what its all about and don't care to hear any of it.

over my 24 years i've discovered that different opinions exist and they aren't always based on common sense.

Last edited by entitee; 06-11-02 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-11-02, 03:53 PM
Cool New Member

If Cake is far from the mainstream, then my music tastes are from another planet!

Today I listened to

Blind Guardian
Skyclad
Kate Bush
Blackmore's Night

Mark
Old 06-11-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Why doesn't anyone like my taste in music?

I don't listen to [...] anything with a constant beat. I like [...] Fatboy Slim, Moby etc.
Huh.

Personally, Cake is not my dessert of choice, but I don't think they suck. Annoying to me, yes, but not without talent.

My girlfriend loves 'em, though.