Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Would like some music recommendations

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-10-02, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I would love some music recommendations that are along the lines of the artists/bands that I list below. I know that most of the people on this board listen to "heavier" stuff but I'd appreciate it if you didn't bash my taste in music since I'm sure some of you consider it "fluffy" They are more or less ranked in the order I like them. As you can probably tell, I prefer up-beat music with orchestral undertones (e.g. piano, violin, etc.) Thanks!

Dave Matthews Band
The Corrs
Tori Amos
SheDaisy
Smashing Pumpkins
The Cranberries
Garbage
Destiny's Child
Vanessa Carlton
Michelle Branch
Alicia Keys
M2M
Bjork
Tina Arena
Plumb
Shania Twain
Sarah McLachlan
Dido
Vanessa Mae

Last edited by Jamezuva; 05-11-02 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-10-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Some suggestions -

Guster - 2 guys with acoustic guitars and a bongo player. From the bands you describe, you'd probably like their latest album a good bit "Lost & Gone Forever".

Wilco - Their new disc "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" may be the best album we see in 2002, and their 1999 album "Summerteeth is also brilliant

Trey Anastasio - Don't have to be a Phish fan to like his disc. Fun, upbeat rock songs with a full horn section and some ballads even are backed by an orchestra
Old 05-11-02, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the Polyphonic Spree

www.thepolyphonicspree.com

Old 05-11-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A lot of people who like Tori Amos and Bjork are really into Rasputina. I learned about them from Bjork fans and now I like them more than her (if by a miniscule amount). They have a website at www.rasputina.com and some of their songs are up on AG but a lot have been blocked since the release of their new album. Nice thing is they're an obscure band so their CDs are cheap, but well worth full price. Just make sure you don't get them mixed up with Masha Rasputina who is some Russian rocker.

Lemme know if you wanna try em out and I can give you a link to a few songs I have posted for beginners to get hooked on

As you can probably tell, I prefer up-beat music with orchestral undertones (e.g. piano, violin, etc.) Thanks!
Heh, just saw this... Rasputina is defenitely perfect for you. They're best known for their cellos... I need to check out some on your list since I'm looking for the same thing as well. A few I have found in my search that are good are...

Apocalyptica
D'Arcadia
The New York Room

~Scheherazade

Last edited by Scheherazade; 05-11-02 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-11-02, 02:32 PM

For the Dave Matthews Band fan in you, check out Rusted Root-When I Woke

For a couple fat guys with acoustic guitars, try Tenacious D. Tenacious D are more or less a comedy act with guitars, and get pretty vulgar at times, but musically, they're still very good.

Also, you might want to give Bare Naked Ladies-Gordon a shot. Good stuff!
Old 05-21-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the replies thus far..

Just wanted to bump this one more time just in case someone hadn't seen it and wanted to recommend some stuff.
Old 05-21-02, 12:04 PM

Based on your list I agree with the recommendations for Barenaked Ladies (although I would say Maroon is a good disc to try) and Guster's Lost and Gone Forever.

Wilco's great, too.

You might also try John Mayer's album "Room for Squares."
Old 05-21-02, 12:11 PM

Seeing as you like Alicia Keys, you should check out RES (yes, that is how she spells it). She has a small hit out now with "They Say Vision"

Also, check out Kasey Chambers. She's Australian, but has a twangy, country sound to her. More emotion than a Shania Twain.
Old 05-21-02, 12:14 PM

Looking at your list of favorites, I must suggest that you stop what your doing right now, and go out and get yourself the new album by Patty Griffin, 1000 Kisses. If you like it (I think you will), try her earlier albums Living With Ghosts and Flaming Red.
Old 05-21-02, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Drive-In Nut
Looking at your list of favorites, I must suggest that you stop what your doing right now, and go out and get yourself the new album by Patty Griffin, 1000 Kisses. If you like it (I think you will), try her earlier albums Living With Ghosts and Flaming Red.
Wonderful, wonderful artist. Does not get enough respect for her talent.
Old 05-21-02, 02:54 PM

For your inner female country artist, you might want to try Kelly Willis and (to a lesser extent) the Dixie Chicks.

For your inner piano player, you could try Ben Folds (Five) -- his earlier albums are more uptempo but less polished.

I'd echo the Wilco recommendations -- based on your preferences, "Summerteeth" might be the best place for you to start.
Old 05-21-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 435 Likes on 304 Posts
Based on what you like, I think you will love Ocean Colour Scene. They're kind of like a modern day Beatles.

Their albums are rather varied from one another. Their self-tiltled debut is rather weak and not worth mentioning. Their second album, Mosley Scholes, is a great album, but very "rock&roll" and not really recomended based on what you like. Their 3rd and 4th, while great albums, were not released in the states.

You need to pick up their 5th album, "Mechanical Wonder". It came out just last year (domesticaly too). It's upbeat and very melodic (less rock, more pop and appropriate orchestration on top of the band).

They also have a "best-of" album you can get - it's called Songs for the Front Row - it's a great collection (no songs from their first album). The album you would like best is their B-side collection called B-sides, Seasides and Freerides. It's mostly acoustic and mostly beautiful. It's kind of hard to find - but you'll be able to find all of them over at Amazon-UK.

Let me know what you think.
Old 05-23-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Based on your list, I'd recommend:

Magnetic Fields (especially 69 Love Songs)
PJ Harvey
Ladybug Transistor
Elliott Smith
Yo La Tengo
Sigur Ros
Mum
Mazarin
Tor Lundvall
Sol Invictus
Beulah
Olivia Tremor Control
Flaming Lips