Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

The Vikings (1958) Video Transfer is simply SUPERB!!!

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 05-10-02, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally was able to find a copy of one of my favorite older films (the Vikings) that was just release Tuesday and I must say the the video transfer on this film is absolutely incredible! This DVD's video looks better then a large amount of new films being released today! I am not over-exaggerating, the color, black level, clarity/crispness is simply top shelf! And being that this is my first widescreen viewing of this film is was even more a pleasure as the scenic shots are some of the best I have seen! The only negative is the mono audio which has limited dynamic range but it is very easy to understand speech and the music is not distorted,

If you are a fan of this film or film that deal with Vikings or the like then this is a MUST have DVD! It also has a very informative slide show by the director who does commentary during it that give you good insight on the making of the film.

This film always reminds me of another favorite of mine which is The Long Ships. Does anyone know who has the rights to this film and/or if it is scheduled for release on DVD? If it doesn't ring a bell (pun intended) it is about Vikings who go out in search of a huge mythic golden bell. There is a great scene that involves a execution that is very original!

Last edited by Frank S; 05-10-02 at 12:54 AM.
Old 05-10-02, 11:16 AM

You're looking at Columbia Pictures...

and there's no release planned of this (on DVD - it is available P/S on VHS) as far as I know.
It'd probably look better in widescreen...but it's definitely not as good as THE VIKINGS. It's a camp classic though. Keep your fingers crossed - maybe it'll get a release one of these days.
Old 05-11-02, 06:44 PM

Nice review Frank , did you buy it online or in a B&M ?I can't find it in any store.
Old 05-11-02, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had to call around to all the local BB's until I found one that had it in stock. It seems each BB got 1 copy a piece.

Deep Discount DVD is supposed to be getting 200 in on the 15th of may so if you can't find it try them.
Old 05-12-02, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 164 Posts
I watched this the other night, and I don't know if I have a defect. It around Chapter 2, the scene where King Aella was down in the dungeon secretly plotting to kill his cousin, I notice some discoloring lines around the bottom of screen, it was only on that scene, after that it disappear. Anyone experinced that problem? I hoping it was only a source problem, after all this movie was made in 1958.

Last edited by dom56; 05-12-02 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-12-02, 12:13 AM

Also couldn't find Vikings in my area. Best Buy, Circuit City, and Suncoast did not have a single copy. Guess I'll have to get ti online.
Old 05-13-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the info - this one was a "possible" buy, but if the transfer is this good, I'll definiyely pick it up!