Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Moby's "18"

Old 05-09-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moby's "18"

I became aware of this album a few days ago. Not having heard much of Moby before, I was curious to find out if I'd like him much, so I got the new album. I've now listened to it several times and I love it! I've also been listening to "Play", which, I learned, was a huge hit in 1999. I was happy to find many familiar to tunes there - Everloving, for example, is the one that plays during the Requiem For A Dream trailer.

What do you guys think of "18"? Like I said, I'm not a Moby expert by any means, so I'd be interested to know your thoughts. Do you consider it a step back from "Play" or a retread of familiar styles?

The track "We Are All Made Of Stars" is especially great IMO - the music video was beautiful too.
Old 05-09-02, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts
I like the song "We Are All Made of Stars." It has a cool, 70s Bowie feel to it.

I was interested in picking up the "18" album, but a couple of people I know who heard it said that other than "Stars," the album wasn't very good.

I plan on listening to a few of the tracks myself, before I decide whether or not to get it.

"Play" is brilliant, IMO.
Old 05-10-02, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to disagree. There's almost no song in permanent rotation on Clear Channel at the moment that I hate more than Moby's "We Are All Made of Stars."

How could the man that made "GO!" all those years ago have created this tuneless dreck? Just like that "Southside" song from "Play" - whenever this new "Stars" song comes over my car speakers, I instantly hit the scan button.
Old 05-10-02, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought "Play" was a masterpiece. The new CD is not bad, but it's an inevitable step back. There are some rehashed ideas and the new single (hopefully) better grow on me! I agree there is some Bowie influence, but not as good.

That's my first impression. Could change down the road.
Old 05-11-02, 12:07 AM

Well Entertainment Weekly give 18 an A-. I am buying it when it comes out Tuesday.
Old 05-11-02, 12:28 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 104 Likes on 93 Posts
had it for a while now, and I love it, excellent cd, listen to it all the time, very much like play, so if you liked that you will love 18
Old 05-14-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This album kicks ass! I liked play, and this album is easily as good as that... i might even go out on a limb and say it's better... i think it will take time to grow on people, but i think it's a really solid album and am glad i picked it up.

MATT
Old 05-14-02, 03:27 PM

Having now listened to Play, I must say I prefer that album a little more. But "18" is very good too - if anything, it's more melancholy and less energetic, but it does capture a certain mood quite well.
Old 05-14-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Just got it and have listened twice so far. It's good, but not great - meaning I'm a little disappointed. There's nothing new that he hasn't done before and there's nothing that isn't mainstream. He hasn't come close to topping 1995's Everything Is Wrong, his best IMHO. I miss those gorgeous piano pieces like "God Moving Over the Face of the Waters" and "Hymn". I miss "Go". I miss his early ambient stuff. Play was good, the gospel tinged stuff was new. On 18, everything just seems watered down somehow.
Old 05-14-02, 04:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Also check out the great single "We Are All Made of Stars" that has a "downtempo" version of the title song, which I think is far superior to the album version.
Old 05-14-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I HATE that song with a passion. Soooooooo %@#!in corny! And the video makes me hurl with all those lame ass guest appearances. Ugggggh!
Old 05-14-02, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You don't know me, you're too old
Let go, it's over, nobody listens to techno...

sorry couldnt resist
Old 05-15-02, 12:51 AM

Anybody else think a lot of the "18" songs sound a little too much like Play's? That was the first thing that struck me as I was listening to it. Not that it's a bad thing, but wasn't there already a Re-Play remix album?
Old 05-15-02, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by costanza187
You don't know me, you're too old
Let go, it's over, nobody listens to techno...
I'd just like to point out that I hate techno and don't consider Moby to be techno at all.
Old 05-18-02, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by flabio
Anybody else think a lot of the "18" songs sound a little too much like Play's? That was the first thing that struck me as I was listening to it. Not that it's a bad thing, but wasn't there already a Re-Play remix album?
I would have to agree with you on this one. I shut it off after putting it in my cd player shortly after hearing that is was a lot the same. The DJ Tiesto remix of "We Are All Made of Stars" is off the hook though!