Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

morrowind tweak

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
morrowind tweak

Just read about this and thought I would share it here. Evidently the people getting the best results are GF2 users. About a 10 point fps rate by changing from linear to quadratic lighting. GF3 and GF4 users reported no performance boost and some in fact reported performance loss. anyway here is the tweak you make in the games .ini file:

UseLinear=0
LinearMethod=1
LinearValue=3.0
LinearRadiusMult=1.0
;
UseQuadratic=1
QuadraticMethod=2
QuadraticValue=16.0
QuadraticRadiusMult=4.0
;

Those are the parts that has to be changed.

I used 800x600, AI down to 1/4, low sound 3d, no shadows.

Tried this change.

Now it runs smooth as baby's butt with 1248xsomething, AI max, view max, high 3d sound, Shadows to max.

My card is Geforce 2 GTS.

INCREDIBLE performance boost, Try it!

evidently the change is:
"For linear lighting, the engine has to "graph" a line to each point the light hits, which takes a while. In Quadratic, multiple areas are covered in one equation(less time)."

"Actually quadradic means it uses a more complex equation to more accurately get the lighting right. Linear just means it draws a line and picks the lighting based on that. So the lighting is less complex but you probably can't tell the difference and don't care, so its better to turn it down and boost the things that make a bigger difference."

Seems like different pc's get different results so YMMV. Just be sure to make a backup of your .ini or make note of any changes you make so you can easily go back if it doesn't help your performance. Info taken from http://www.forumplanet.com/RPGPlanet...367&tid=635870

Last edited by Shuki; 05-08-02 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-08-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another reported tweak to the .ini file:

"one thing that helped MY performance (used to get around 15-18 in belmora) was to change the maxframerate in the .ini file to 60 instead of 240."