Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

So How's the new OCEAN'S ELEVEN DVD???

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 05-07-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

I am planning on probably picking this up as a blind purchase and am curious as to what people think of the movie/DVD.

So, whattya think?
Old 05-07-02, 06:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that this is an amazing dvd. The picture is letterboxed at 2.35:1 and is anamorphically enhanced. The picture is very good. The sound is also good. The extras are pretty good. The commentary with Pitt, Damon, and Garcia is really funny but is kinda weird because sometimes it sounds like they are in the same room and sometimes not but overall it is a good commentary. The second commentary with the director and writer is also good but I prefered the "group" commentary. There are two featurettes both being good but lacking. The one about the costumes was the better of the two. There is also 3 trailers, 2 teasers and 1 regular. Overall I really liked the dvd and recommend it to anyone, even if they haven't seen the movie.

PS: Just remember to buy the one with the red banner one the top. This is the widescreen version. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT buy the one with the blue banner.

REMEMBER: RED IS GOOD!!!! BLUE IS BAD!!!!
Old 05-07-02, 10:53 PM
Banned

It's a good dvd.
And the movie is good.
I thought it would be a silly hiest movie.
Old 05-07-02, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I just finished it, it is a pretty good film. I give it an 8/10. Because it was entertaining, had an interesting plot, and good cinematography.
Old 05-08-02, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
Well, I too watched it all last night and REALLY liked it. The picture looks amazing, and the movie itself was very entertaining. I was slightly disappointed in the sound--I know it's mainly a dialogue movie, but so is Jerry Mcguire but the SE has excellent use of subtle surrounds. Other than that, this is a great DVD and a no-brainer purchase at $14.99. The extras were decent too, esp. with TWO commentary tracks. Definitely one I'll watch many times over.
Old 05-08-02, 12:41 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally posted by Donnie Yen
Words to live by.
Old 05-08-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
finally watched it this morning and it was exactly the way i figured it would be.
sometimes very entertaining, most of the time very 'artificially cool' and afterwards on the whole, a little disappointing. at least on first viewing.
maybe i'll more appreciate it a second time, but frankly, this movie didn't really stimulate me enough to want to see it again.
its definately one of Soderberghs weaker films, and doesn't come anywhere close to OUT OF SIGHT.

a lot of the cool, witty exchanges had a 'sitcom rhythm' to them.
as soon as one person would say something, i could already hear the exchange (in tone, if not the actual words).
so alot of that stuff fell very flat.

slick, mostly fun, sometimes very fun, but in the end pretty inconsequential.

dvd looks like a lot of soderberghs stuff lately. visually erratic with some scenes oversaturated, others looking perfect.
soundtrack was acceptable, but nothing you'll pull out for reference.
extras sound good.

for $14 its a decent buy.
i think i could just as easily have rented it now, and waited till CH has it as an enrollment selection to own it.
Old 05-10-02, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by Donnie Yen
IS THIS THE MATRIX?
Old 05-11-02, 12:50 AM
X
Administrator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts
I thought it absolutely, totally sucked. And the picture didn't look all that good to me either. I can't remember saying "this sucks" that much throughout a movie (maybe because I don't buy and watch ones that would make me say that, up till now). But I went on recommendations here and with Ebert and Roeper. I should have known when Roeper liked it... My last yack movie, The Rock, has just risen in my esteem.

This was "Movie of the Week" caliber stuff. Extremely weak development of the story. It seemed like each chapter was the video summary of what could have been a good story and movie.

I'm really sorry I wasted $9 and 2 hours on this bilge. I was not entertained, I didn't learn anything, and I do not feel like a better person for the experience. If I ever sell a movie it will be this one. Maybe I'll stop mincing words and tell you what I really think later.
Old 05-11-02, 01:10 AM

Hey X if you don`t want your copy I `ll be happy to take off your hands Let me know..
Old 05-11-02, 08:50 AM

is it just me or is the cover reallly ugly? the theatrical poster would have been a good candidate for the cover.. great design..
Old 05-12-02, 09:57 AM

I might buy it just to see if the movie has gotten any better. I was really disappointed the first(and only) time I saw it in the theater.
Old 05-12-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by X
But I went on recommendations here and with Ebert and Roeper. I should have known when Roeper liked it... My last yack movie, The Rock, has just risen in my esteem.
The Rock is a yack movie? Yack as in excessive talking?!

BTW, whoever said this film is artificially cool is dead on. Some films are artificially cool and yet manage to be truly cool anyway (Some of the old Chow Yun Fat/John Woo movies, for instance). But O11 was smug to the point of causing contempt in the viewer.
Old 05-12-02, 09:08 PM
X
Administrator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally posted by ipkevin
The Rock is a yack movie? Yack as in excessive talking?!

BTW, whoever said this film is artificially cool is dead on. Some films are artificially cool and yet manage to be truly cool anyway (Some of the old Chow Yun Fat/John Woo movies, for instance). But O11 was smug to the point of causing contempt in the viewer.
That's a very good way to describe it.

And by "yack", I meant what you get when you type "yack" between colons:
Old 05-12-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i agree with the two mixed/negative posts.

i bought it blindly with the 10$ gc at bb.com, my brother was impatient and rented it, so i watched it then and now see no reason to open up my copy.

i did enjoy watching the movie, i don't think it was a wate of time really, but it really had nothing going for it to make me want to rewatch it (own it.)

i'm not sure how the movie failed, the premise and actors seemed ok. at times it reminded alot of a guy richie movie, and if he would of been the director i think it would of been a much better movie.

if i had seen it before, i wouldn't even of bought it for 9 and change.
Old 05-14-02, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this in the theaters and picked it up. It was a good movie.
Old 05-14-02, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1.Movie-8/10
2.Picture-9/10
3.Sound- 9/10
4.Extras- 8/10

A must pick up IMO.
Old 05-15-02, 02:07 AM

I was not entertained, I didn't learn anything, and I do not feel like a better person for the experience.
I was entertained, I learned to suspend some belief, and I never really expected to become a better person from watching a movie.
But hey, that just me.