Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Today's CDs (5.07.02)

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Today's CDs (5.07.02)

Old 05-07-02, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Today's CDs (5.07.02)

LA Symphony - Baloney
J-Live - All of the Above
High & Mighty - Air Force 1
Count Bass D - Dwight Spitz
Elvis Costello - Brutal Youth (reissue)
Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales

Probably going to pick up at the store today:
Peter Gabriel - third self-titled
Peter Gabriel - Security

Considering picking up, but may think about it for a few days:
Lauryn Hill - Unplugged

What's everyone getting today?
Old 05-07-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zero 7: Simple Things

Soilent Green: Sewn Mouth Secrets
Old 05-07-02, 09:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Doves - The Last Broadcast, got this yesterday in the mail, love it, cant wait to see them live next month.

Hoping my special order for SOMA Records 10th Anniversary 3CD set has come in...

Last edited by Giles; 05-07-02 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-07-02, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shellac -- 1000 Hurts
Modern Lovers -- Modern Lovers
Don Caballero -- American Don
90 Day Men -- To Everybody
Hella -- Hold Your Horse Is

I can't pick anything up today, unfortunately. No cash money. On the top of my buying list right now is the last Soundtrack of Our Lives album.
Old 05-07-02, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by Yancey:
"On the top of my buying list right now is the last Soundtrack of Our Lives album."

You have to buy this, this is a great album, by all means pick this up - I dont think you will be disappointed.
Old 05-07-02, 10:11 AM

Q of the D:
Nothing - The next albums on my "to buy" list are the new Silkworm and Spoon "Series of Sneaks" reissues, which come out in June. I'll probably try to track down some used Can albums before then.

Playing:
90 Day Men - "To Everybody" (another great call by Yancey)
Fugazi - "In On the Killtaker"
Archer Prewitt - "Gerroa Songs"

I saw Wilco for the 3rd time on Thursday (first time without Bennett and Coomer). The show was incredible - they played almost all of "Yankee Hotal Foxtrot," a bunch of "Summerteeth" tunes, and a few "Mermaid Avenue" songs. They skipped over all of "A.M.," and didn't get to any "Being There" songs until the 2nd encore. The frat boy-types in attendance weren't too happy, but I thought it was great.

Elliott Smith opened the show with a HORRIBLE performance. He complained of pain and numbness in his left hand from "sleeping on it in the plane for 6 hours," and only managed to finish 2 or 3 songs during his 50 minute set. It was a complete disaster.
Old 05-07-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Various - Teenage Kicks: UK Pop Vol. 1
Various - Starry Eyes: UK Pop Vol. 2
Halloween - Laz
Trip Shakespeare - Lulu
The Dictators - Go Girl Crazy
Fairport Convention - Rosie
Tempus Fugit - Tales from a Forgotten World
Various - This is Dojo: Sampler 1996
Robyn Hitchcock - Element of Light
Atoll - L'Araignee-Mal
Gaskin - End of the World
Tempest - Balance
Old 05-07-02, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For the first time in quite a few weeks, I don't think I'll be buying anything. I've been listening to...

Trey Anastasio - S/T
Hella - Hold Your Horse Is
Be Good Tanyas - Blue Horse
Medeski Martin & Wood - Combustication

Still need to pick up that 90 Day Men album...
Old 05-07-02, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by mike1978
Playing:
90 Day Men - "To Everybody" (another great call by Yancey)

I saw Wilco for the 3rd time on Thursday (first time without Bennett and Coomer). The show was incredible - they played almost all of "Yankee Hotal Foxtrot," a bunch of "Summerteeth" tunes, and a few "Mermaid Avenue" songs. They skipped over all of "A.M.," and didn't get to any "Being There" songs until the 2nd encore. The frat boy-types in attendance weren't too happy, but I thought it was great.

Elliott Smith opened the show with a HORRIBLE performance. He complained of pain and numbness in his left hand from "sleeping on it in the plane for 6 hours," and only managed to finish 2 or 3 songs during his 50 minute set. It was a complete disaster.
Glad you picked up the 90 Day Men record! I have yet to meet anyone who hasn't liked it. Not one person. This is one of the two or three records I've been recommending to everyone lately. The others being Hella and The Secret Machines. But yeah, that 90 Day Men is really phenomenal. Not a bad track on there.

Anyway, glad you mentioned the fratboy contingent at the Wilco show. I had the exact same vibe when I saw them. Did they play a song called "Private Beach in Michigan?" When they did it in NY a lot of it sounded very Sonic Youth-y, which made the crowd anxious. I loved it.

And I heard about Elliott Smith's live debacle. Lots of rumors flying around about his pitiful performance. I'm sure a recording of it will get out soon. I hate him, so this might be the first recording of his that I seek out.

Giles -- I know the SOOL record well. I've just been borrowing it from a friend for ages. He really wants it back but I don't want to give it up, so I guess I'll just buy my own. But you are right, it's great.
Old 05-07-02, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by Yancey

Glad you picked up the 90 Day Men record! I have yet to meet anyone who hasn't liked it. Not one person. This is one of the two or three records I've been recommending to everyone lately. The others being Hella and The Secret Machines. But yeah, that 90 Day Men is really phenomenal. Not a bad track on there.

Anyway, glad you mentioned the fratboy contingent at the Wilco show. I had the exact same vibe when I saw them. Did they play a song called "Private Beach in Michigan?" When they did it in NY a lot of it sounded very Sonic Youth-y, which made the crowd anxious. I loved it.

They did play "Private Beach in Michigan" along with a few other new songs that sounded great. Jeff's guitar playing was quite Sonic Youth-y for most of the set - just the way I like it. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure "Private Beach in Michigan" was what caused a large segment of the frat boy population to leave the show.

Definitely try to track down that Elliott Smith set - it was just plain terrible.
Old 05-07-02, 01:26 PM

Doves- The Last Broadcast
Idlewild- You Held the World in Your Arms (parts I and II)
Nick Cave- no more shall we part
Denali-Denali
Seafood- when do we start fighting
Old 05-08-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Listened to:

Amos House Collection, Volume 2
Sloan - "Pretty Together"
Pedro the Lion - "Control"
Wilco - YHF

Just got back from seeing the Aiser's Set and Belle & Sebastian in Montreal. Great show, especially B&S. Lots of music, and I still got home by 1 am (1:45 drive). Not bad at all.

Originally posted by Yancey
On the top of my buying list right now is the last Soundtrack of Our Lives album
What's this like? I haven't put it on my list, but I keep meaning to. They're on Parasol, and from Scandanavia (?), but that's all I know.
Old 05-08-02, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't believe no one else has picked up the two new Tom Waits cds yet. Blood Money and Alice both came out today and they are incredible. Alice especially won't be leaving my player for several weeks.
Old 05-08-02, 08:17 AM

From allmusic, here's a little description of "Soundtrack of Our Lives":

Ebbot Lundberg (vocals) and Bjorn Olsson (guitar) were founders of the wildly exciting Swedish band Union Carbide Productions, which recorded several albums that mixed Captain Beefheart and punk (think Stooges) to wonderful effect in the late '80s. Eventually Ian Person joined Union Carbide Productions on guitar. By this point, however, Lundberg was becoming influenced by Love and other late-'60s psych-pop bands and was steering the band in this direction, causing friction within the band. After several albums in this new direction, Union Carbide Productions imploded, and band members went in their own directions. Lundberg, Olsson, and Person reunited in 1995 and started the band Soundtrack of Our Lives, which mines the '60s psych vein in unique, unpredictable, and interesting ways. Never sounding like a retro act, Soundtrack of Our Lives is a thoroughly modern band that is actually extending '60s themes and ideas in ways that acts from that time never imagined. The **** Habilis Blues EP was released in 1996, followed by the full-length Welcome to the Infant Freebase in 1997, after which Olsson left the touring aspect of the band to the other members, remaining as a part of the band in the studio while maintaining his own solo career. Work on a second album commenced in 1998, and Sire signed the band with plans to release their music domestically for the first time. — Stanton Swihart

Like, Yancey and I can attest, their latest release "Behind the Music" is really an amazing album.
Old 05-08-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

J-Live's "All of the above" has been out for 2 weeks now. I saw it at BB last time I went there.
Old 05-08-02, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by the aftermath
J-Live's "All of the above" has been out for 2 weeks now. I saw it at BB last time I went there.
It's quite good, too. I highly recommend it. Nice to see that he's getting some major distribution. I've never seen his The Best Part lp (another great one) in any store.

I got my copy of All of the Above earlier this week from HipHopSite.com. They threw in for free an exclusive J-Live 45 with two non-album tracks (one of which was produced by Prince Paul).
Old 05-08-02, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by stevevt

What's this like? I haven't put it on my list, but I keep meaning to. They're on Parasol, and from Scandanavia (?), but that's all I know.
I would also add that many of their songs have that wistful T-Rex feel.
Old 05-08-02, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DJLinus

It's quite good, too. I highly recommend it. Nice to see that he's getting some major distribution. I've never seen his The Best Part lp (another great one) in any store.

I got my copy of All of the Above earlier this week from HipHopSite.com. They threw in for free an exclusive J-Live 45 with two non-album tracks (one of which was produced by Prince Paul).
I bought it today but haven't had a chance to listen to it. Once I'm finished listening to Lauryn Hill's "Unplugged" then I'll put in "All of the above". Can't wait to hear it
Old 05-09-02, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A bit late with this!

Recloose - Cardiology
Arpanet - Wireless Interntet
Justus Kohncke - Was Ist Musik?
Various - 10.100.02
Akufen - My Way
Cabaret Voltaire - Eight Crepuscule Tracks
Old 05-09-02, 04:52 PM