Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever won a radio contest

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-06-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have come close, like 8th caller insted of 9th ect. I have tried for money, trips, concerts cd's ect. I actually came very close to winning one. List the top 10 in order to win concert tix. I missed only one.
Old 05-06-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've won movie passes from time to time.
Old 05-06-02, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've won tickets to see Huey Lewis and the News back in '84.

I've also won Billy Idol CDs, tickets to see The Damned and Men at Work.

That's about it.

I need to win the cash prizes.
Old 05-06-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mllefoo
I need to win the cash prizes. [/B]
move to baltimore. $106.50 for knowing the radios catch phrase.
Old 05-06-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i won a couple of CDs and a vinyl record (didn't have a record player so i didn't pick that up).
Old 05-06-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get this:

I won a pair of concert tickets for knowing the answer to this question: For what band is Joe Elliot the lead singer of?

That's right. I saw the "Pyromania" tour at Def Lep's height.

My mark of shame is positively glowing.

Old 05-06-02, 11:19 PM

I won two contests before. One for Britney Spears Tickets and the other for Red Hot Chili Pepper Tickets.
Old 05-06-02, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Never won but I have given away a decent amount of stuff.
Old 05-07-02, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Several times.

My wife won Tori Amos tickets a few months ago by answering the question "name all of Tori Amos' current albums". Luckily, I'm a fan, and she knew the answer. Unluckily, our purchased seats were better than the free ones. We ended up giving them to a good friend.

Answer to the question?:
Little Earthquakes
Under the Pink
Boys For Pele
From the Choirgirl Hotel
To Venus and Back
Strange Little Girls

If you want to win a contest, try winning late at night... people don't call then. Sometimes if you chat up the DJ, he/she will just let you win when the contest comes up.
Old 05-07-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A Lot of 5 dollar gift certificates! yay!
Old 05-07-02, 03:36 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
I won tickets to Rock Fest in Cadott, Wisc. one year. That was pretty fun.
Old 05-07-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I won a Morris Day record.
Old 05-07-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Back in the Kokomo days, I was the 98th caller and won front row tickets for four to the Beach Boys and a pair of Ray-Ban Aviators... only problem was I was probably 13 at the time. The DJ took my name and then the conversation went something like this:

DJ: Hey Kevin, are you over 18?
Me: Yes.
DJ: Really?
Me: Of course.
DJ: Are you sure you're 18? We'll have to have you come down to the studio to see your Drivers License before we can give you the tickets.
Me: (realizing that my prepubescent voice wasn't fooling anybody and that I didn't have a drivers License) Well not really.
DJ: I'm sorry, thanks for listening tho.
*click*

I went out to tell my mom that I'd just won (and lost) tickets and of course she didn't believe me. Fortunately my sister was listening to the radio station in her room and the DJ said my name on the radio but mentioned that I was too young. Thankfully he didn't bother saying that I tried to lie about it

Mordred
Old 05-07-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Mordred
Back in the Kokomo days, I was the 98th caller and won front row tickets for four to the Beach Boys and a pair of Ray-Ban Aviators... only problem was I was probably 13 at the time. The DJ took my name and then the conversation went something like this:

DJ: Hey Kevin, are you over 18?
Me: Yes.
DJ: Really?
Me: Of course.
DJ: Are you sure you're 18? We'll have to have you come down to the studio to see your Drivers License before we can give you the tickets.
Me: (realizing that my prepubescent voice wasn't fooling anybody and that I didn't have a drivers License) Well not really.
DJ: I'm sorry, thanks for listening tho.
*click*

I went out to tell my mom that I'd just won (and lost) tickets and of course she didn't believe me. Fortunately my sister was listening to the radio station in her room and the DJ said my name on the radio but mentioned that I was too young. Thankfully he didn't bother saying that I tried to lie about it

Mordred
does this mean that you have to be over 18 to win a radio contest.
Old 05-07-02, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
My sister won an autographed copy of Aerosmiths Just Push Play
Old 05-08-02, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
does this mean that you have to be over 18 to win a radio contest.
Yeah. Every contest I've ever heard of on the radio seems to have that requirement. Fortunately it's not a problem now

At the time I really just wanted to sell the Beach Boys tickets... those might have brought $300 or so, and was planning on keeping the sweet looking aviators. I can't imagine how stupid I'd've looked in Aviators

Mordred
Old 05-08-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 205 Likes on 124 Posts
I won Traveler's and Thieves (Blues Traveler) in high school for knowing Sheryl Crow used to be a teacher. I won 2 tickets to the midnight of Episode 1 for knowing the planet Luke grew up on. Not a radio contest, but I won $100 when I was a kid and they had the "Where's Kool Aid Man?" contest on the Sat. morning cartoon line-up. $100 when you're 8 yrs. old is quite a trip.
Old 05-08-02, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Two Christmas-related contest wins:

I won tickets to the Rockefeller Center Christmas show for being the 100th caller.

I also won tickets to "A Christmas Carol" at Madison Square Garden for answering a trivia question. The host played a clip from the "Frosty the Snowman" special, and the original question was to name the show. Of course, the lines were completely busy trying to call in. Then, the co-host complained that the question was too easy and they changed it to "Who provided the voice of Frosty in that special?". Listeners were guessing Mel Blanc, Jimmy Durante, Mickey Rooney, etc. Finally they got to me and I gave the correct answer. The seats were not very good.

Answer
Spoiler:
Jackie Vernon

Honk!
Old 05-11-02, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Once. The radio DJ read my joke on the air and I won some sort of fancy watch. Problem is, I never received the watch, so I guess I didn't win after all.
Old 05-12-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Won Guns N' Roses tickets for their second of two shows at the Rosemont Horizon. Saw them the first night; on our way to the second night, we heard on the radio that the show had been cancelled due to the warrant for Axl's arrest after the St. Louis incident. Also won Ozzy/Skid Row/Slaughter tickets.
Old 05-13-02, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was once caller #8 and won two free round-trip plane tickets to anywhere in the US. Unfortunately, I couldn't take a week off so ended up letting a friend use them. Consarnit!!
Old 05-13-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

won a pearl jam weekend in new york city 1996...airfare...hotel for 2 nights...2 nights of pearl jam on randall's island.

and a copy of "no code" to boot.
Old 05-13-02, 02:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I worked in an office where we knew every contest on every radio station in town and would change stations accordingly. We also had multi line phones and a couple of people with an insane knack at dialing the phone, it was actually faster than speed dial. The prizes were never huge but we would win several times a day and distribute them among the office. There were tons of movie passes and free lunches, free wings from one bar, George Carlin tickets and limo, concert and comedy tickets. The best prize I won was $120 gift certificate to a butcher shop and a new grill. We figured it out one day and we had easily won over $2,500 worth of stuff. We even had a calendar to keep track of who won what on which station and when because many had 2 week waiting periods before you were able to win again.
Old 05-16-02, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I called up Q101 back in Chicago in the mid 90's and I was caller #100 (they needed #101) for Pearl Jam tickets. Oh well. Paid for the tickets and went to the show anyways.
Old 05-16-02, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, the station had a trivia question everyday. I just got in my car coming home from school and they still needed an answer for "What was the first music video Paula Abdul choreographed". I am like oh that was ZZTop Velrofly... so I call... ring..ring... Oops wait that is not the video... crap..ring.. oh yeah it was the Jackson's Torture video. I was right. I won a cd from their cd stash. They sent me LFO, I gave it to my sister.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.