Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I be ashamed to admit to being a Journey fan?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 05-05-02, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did a little bit of volunteering at a beer tent at Atlanta's Music Midtown weekend event, and got to see Journey play in concert tonight (with the new singer), and I was pretty amazed at how close the new singer sounds like Steve Perry. Anyhow, the old hits were enjoyed by everyone in the big crowd on hand for them, while the newer stuff was so-so (no one really knew the words/music). It was fun to sing along with the band (relived some good high school memories and thus knew most of the words to their songs).

Neal Schon did a nice guitar solo of the national anthem, and the rest of his guitar play was very nice. It appears 3 of the main members of Journey are still playing (Neal, Ross Valory, and Jonathon Cain), and they have a new drummer as well.

They still sound great, and the hits are pretty timeless if you grew up being a fan of theirs in the 70's and 80's.
Old 05-06-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing is wrong with being a Journey fan. I've been a fan since the early 80s.
The also like the new singer. I've bought the Arrival CD & it's great.
Old 05-06-02, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know, I have a feeling their new stuff isn't any different, it's just that you remember the older material from high school days. I liked Journey when I was in high school, but as soon as I heard R.E.M. and New Order as an 18-year-old, Journey was history and I've never liked them since.
Old 05-06-02, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I also got the impression that the new guys are bringing a harder rock sound to the new Journey material. Their drummer is a really hard worker on the drums, so that might add to the hard rock sound. I don't foresee many tender ballads from them now.

But if you are a fan, and they are playing in your area, you owe it to yourself to go see them, I don't think you'll be too disappointed (in the old songs).
Old 05-06-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Their first 3 albums are great, before Steve Perry joined. Most people don't seem to be to familiar with 'em ("Journey", "Next", "Look Into the Future"). "Infinity" is pretty good, but I never liked Perry. Gregg Rolie was a much better lead singer.
Old 05-06-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Should I be ashamed to admit to being a Journey fan?

Originally posted by Patman
I was pretty amazed at how close the new singer sounds like Steve Perry.
And looks like him! It's weird.
Old 05-06-02, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shame will only come upon you if you fail to acknowledge the importance of Steve Perry's enormous shnozz to the band's ascendance in pop culture.

"Open Arms" - it's all about those tremendous resonating nasal caverns, I tell you.
Old 05-07-02, 03:45 PM

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
I haven't heard the new singer, but classic Journey is awesome! Great stuff!
Old 05-07-02, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a friend that has a mom that loves Journey. I've went to his house and now I know every word to "Wheel In The Sky" But he makes fun of her for being "old" for listening to them
Old 05-11-02, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Absolutly not! Journey was popular for a reason. They had great power ballads and were awesome live. Even the new line-up puts on a great show.
Old 05-11-02, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shame? Well, nah! I listened to alot of music in the 80s and rather liked a few Steve Perry songs. Not sure if this is when he was with Journey or he had gone solo by then.