Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bjork anyone???

Old 05-05-02, 10:02 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bjork anyone???

Anyone into Icelandic singer, Bjork, at all?

I really love her a lot. She has a beautiful voice and her songs are so haunting to listen to. Bjork is one of the best female vocalists right now IMO.

I know she only has 6 albums out but I only own 2 of them. The ones I own are:

Vespertine: This is one of the best albums I ever heard in a long time. I'm totally addicted to this album. Everytime I want to play music, I'm always finding myself throwing this album into my CD player. My 3 most favorite songs on the album are "Pagan Poetry", "Cocoon" and "It's Not Up To You".

Telegram: I just picked this album up last night. When I got home to listen to it, I loved what I heard. This album is very different from "Vespertine" but it's pretty good. All "Telegram" is, it's just a compilation remix album of techno/electronica versions of her older songs.

I plan on buying the rest of her albums like "Homogenic", "Post", "Debut" and "Selmasongs" very soon.

For all you Bjork fans in the board, what is your favorite album she recorded?
Old 05-05-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Bjork is brilliant.

A lot of people would emphatically disagree with that. Some feel her music is aberrance disguised as art.

Personally I love all her music and have collected just about everything she has put out. I have seen her live 8 times, 5 times when she was still with the Sugarcubes and 3 times as a solo artist.

For me Selmasongs is her best, however too short. In fact I consider Selmasongs one of the most brilliant albums ever made. So many layers of ingenuity and lambent perfection. Not sure if you know but Selmasongs is the soundtrack for the movie Dancer in the Dark in which Bjork was the lead actress and did a phenomenal job. Knowing how the songs fit into the movie just adds to the whole experience of listening to it.

I suggest you pick up her three live DVDs she recently put out. They are Live in Cambridge, MTV Unplugged, and Live at Shepards Bush.

Also if you are set up for DVD-Audio I suggest picking up Vespertine in DVD-Audio...the quality and ethereal mix of that disc is astounding.

Last edited by palebluedot; 05-05-02 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-05-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ive been into bjork ever since the Tank Girl soundtrack came out. She has an awesome voice and has all kinds of different musical elements in her music. I think that Homogenic is her best album, but they are all worth picking up. Great stuff!
Old 05-05-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've only got Homogenic, but I love it - I think I'll put it in now

Maybe I'll d/l some of her other stuff
Old 05-05-02, 01:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah I already do know about her 3 live concert DVD's she just put out and I will definitely pick those up for sure.

I own the movie "Dancer in the Dark" on DVD and that's the movie that made me get into her music.
Old 05-05-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Guitar_God
Yeah I already do know about her 3 live concert DVD's she just put out and I will definitely pick those up for sure.

I own the movie "Dancer in the Dark" on DVD and that's the movie that made me get into her music.
I still haven't seen that. Another thing for me to do during the month or so before next semester starts Only two classes over the summer though, so I'll have a little more time. THough I really should start looking for a grown-up job.

oh, um.....Bjork rocks! (thought I should make it music related )
Old 05-05-02, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by palebluedot
I suggest you pick up her three live DVDs she recently put out. They are Live in Cambridge, MTV Unplugged, and Live at Shepards Bush.
Also look for her music video collection on DVD called Volumen. It's all of her solo videos released between 93 and 98 and they are IMHO some of the best music videos ever filmed (with 'Bachelorette' being the best one ever, followed by 'It's Oh So Quiet', 'Hyperballad' and 'Army of Me')
Old 05-05-02, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love Bjork. My favorite recording is "Post" and I have her DVD video collection "Volumen" as well.

I've only seen her live one time and had a ball. The Sugarcubes played a free concert at my university (Auburn) in '88 or '89 and I missed them because I was stuck at work. I really wish I could have seen that.

But, you aren't alone in your appreciation for her.
Old 05-06-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dancer in the Dark is what ultimately made me get into Bjork as well. I haven't picked up those three live DVDs yet but am really thinking about it, Volumen is great And it's Bjork fans that got me hooked on Rasputina so that makes her even better!

~Scheherazade
Old 05-06-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Hyperballad & I've Seen It All are my all time favorite Bjork songs.

Can't pick a favorite album though...

LOVE HER
Old 05-06-02, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts
Yeah there are many BJORK fans here.

Count me as one! I think she's ahead of her time and one of the most talented artists out there and I love her lyrics and her wide range of music styles.

If you haven't already you MUST SEE her lastest video called "COCOON" from VESPERTINE.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-06-02 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-06-02, 09:40 PM

Heard she is pregnant BTW...
Old 05-07-02, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Bjork anyone?

Well, not for a few days...

Oh,

I'm not a big fan, but I have a couple of albums, and I thought Dancer in the Dark was one of the most beautiful, painful films I have ever watched. I don't think I can ever watch it again, but I can't get rid of it either.

I think it was the X-files Fight the Future soundtrack that really made me notice her.
Old 05-08-02, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts
Originally posted by ike0000
Heard she is pregnant BTW...

I wish it were mine...